RadioBanter

-   -   "Radio" Movie On Now (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/46706-%22radio%22-movie-now.html)

pickle December 3rd 04 11:31 PM

Lucky wrote:
On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates with his
dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA for the day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

Saw it. It's dumb.

Lucky December 4th 04 04:10 PM

"Lucky" wrote in message
On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates with
his dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA for the
day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

Oh the movie is called "Frequency"

Lucky

Howard December 4th 04 04:34 PM

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:08:18 -0500, "Lucky"
wrote:

On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates with his
dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA for the day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

I communicate with my dead father on a regular basis and I don't need
a radio ........... of course, he never communicates back.

The movie is "Frequency" and I recall it got panned by the critics -
as if they are ever correct about which movies I end up liking.

Howard

datebirk December 4th 04 11:58 PM

Damn stupid movie. Have no idea what the producers and directors were high
on when they made that one.

There's a guy who posted in the groups a few years back claiming he bought
the HF rig they used as a prop. Search Google for it.

Sir Cumference December 5th 04 01:23 AM

RivaScoot wrote:

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:10:48 -0500, "Lucky"
wrote:

"Lucky" wrote in message

On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates with
his dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA for the
day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

Oh the movie is called "Frequency"

Yep, and it's a horrible movie. It's certainly not the best use of
Dennis Quaid's talents.

I was really amused by the fact that the guy was using a Heathkit
receiver as a transceiver.

Stereophile22 December 5th 04 03:25 AM

Yep, and it's a horrible movie. It's certainly not the best use of
Dennis Quaid's talents.

A better one, not a movie, but an old tv show back in the 70's was an episode
of "Darkroom", which was a show in the style of "The Twilight Zone".

You could even say it was "The Twilight Zone" if it wasn't for the different
name and that it wasn't.

Anyway, the best I can remember it, in one episode, a man starts getting radio
signals from the past (from the world war 2 era). on an old radio. Either his
father or grandfather had died on a ship that went down during world war 2. (I
forget if it was his father or grandfather).

He tries to transmit a signal into the past to save the ship in order to save
his (father or grandfather) so that his ( father or grandfather) would be alive
never having died in world war 2.

At the end, he finally succeeds in getting the message to the ship that's in
the past. When he wakes up, tthe ship never went down during world war 2, and
his (father or grandfather) is alive.

But then he finds out that America is now controlled by German Nazis and has
been ever since World War 2.

And I think his (father or grandfather) says something to him like "It would be
better off being dead than to live under Nazi rule like this".

And that was the end of that story.

His sucessful radio signal into the past changed history in a bad way.

Luckily, none of that ever happened in real life.

Lucky December 5th 04 10:11 AM

wrote:

"Lucky" wrote in message

On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates with
his dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA for
the day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

Oh the movie is called "Frequency"

Yep, and it's a horrible movie. It's certainly not the best use of
Dennis Quaid's talents.

I was really amused by the fact that the guy was using a Heathkit receiver
as a transceiver.

Yes,

they showed 2 transceivers but I couldn't make them out. Heathkit huh? Which
one? The one missing the top where you saw the tubes or the other one?

Lucky

Jay December 5th 04 12:06 PM

There was another Twilight Zone episode called "Static" about an elderly man
in a rooming house who drags his old console radio out of the basement. He
hears all sorts of vintage programs on it...until anyone else comes into the
room...then it turns to static, and they all, of course, think the guy is
crazy.

Anyone have the experience of a technophobe who ruins their radio reception?
I've got a cousin who has no interest in shortwave or am dxing. I can be
listening to a distant signal, and when this guy walks into the room, the
signal fades to noise. He assumes I've seen sitting there listening to
noise, and he thinks I'm crazy!

Jay

Noise From Afar December 5th 04 03:46 PM

wrote:
"Lucky" wrote in message
On channel USA at 1600 UTC, is a movie about a man who communicates
with his dead father via a Ham radio. I think the repeat movies on USA
for the day.

Might be interesting.

Lucky

Oh the movie is called "Frequency"

Yep, and it's a horrible movie. It's certainly not the best use of
Dennis Quaid's talents.

I was really amused by the fact that the guy was using a Heathkit
receiver as a transceiver.

Yes,

they showed 2 transceivers but I couldn't make them out. Heathkit huh?
Which one? The one missing the top where you saw the tubes or the other
one?

Lucky

And they must have used a foot switch or VOX as most of the time they didn't
touch the mike PTT !

If you want to see a real "Radio" Movie -- see PBS presentation "Empire Of
The Air - The men who made radio"
Available on Amazon.com in DVD

ruido de icógnito