RadioBanter

-   -   News From Sumatra (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/47083-news-sumatra.html)

Conan Ford December 26th 04 07:52 AM

"Jim Douglas" wrote in
:

This is a B I G one. Anyone hear anything?

A magnitude 8.5 earthquake OFF THE W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA has
occurred at:
3.30N 95.78E Depth 10km Sun Dec 26 00:58:50 2004 UTC

Estimated at 8.9 by the USGS now:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/

Not close enough for a USA west coast tsunami:
http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/message.txt

The only shortwave coverage I heard was some German language coverage,
probably Deutsche Welle. Was in the 49m band, I believe, around 02:00 UTC.

Dennis and Judy Toye December 26th 04 01:16 PM

the total killed is now at 3,000 deid
This morning USGS reports that this was the 5th largest ever recorded.

dxAce December 26th 04 01:18 PM

Dennis and Judy Toye wrote:

the total killed is now at 3,000 deid

Makes sense that if they are killed they are indeed dead.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Burr December 26th 04 02:11 PM

Over 6,000 now

Merry Chistmas

Burr

Frank White December 26th 04 03:20 PM

In article , says...

the total killed is now at 3,000 deid

Up to 4000 as of last reports.

The quake generated tsunamis 30 feet high and wiped out seaside
communities right and left. It's expected many of the dead
were sucked out to sea when the wave flowed back, and the
toll will continue to climb.

The areas hit are favorite vacation spots of Western tourists.
No telling how many of them are among the dead...

FW

John Barnard December 26th 04 05:49 PM

Frank White wrote:

In article , says...

the total killed is now at 3,000 deid

Up to 4000 as of last reports.

The quake generated tsunamis 30 feet high and wiped out seaside
communities right and left. It's expected many of the dead
were sucked out to sea when the wave flowed back, and the
toll will continue to climb.

The areas hit are favorite vacation spots of Western tourists.
No telling how many of them are among the dead...

FW

The number I've seen is 7000. Very little news about it on SW so far. I'm parked on 11880 kHz
(Radio Australia) at 1749 UTC waiting for a news report.

Good DX

John Barnard

Harveyat8c43z0 December 26th 04 06:04 PM

18:04 UTC..

BBC is covering the Tidal Wave / Earthquake extensivly;

a BBC correspondant on Holiday was caught up in it.. & reports

12.095 USB
h.t.t.p. //news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4125481.stm

Reports on swimmers being swept out to sea, and SCUBA Divers being trapped in
the Emerald Cavern , only accessible from underwater..

"Jim Douglas" wrote in
:

Left Coast December 26th 04 06:07 PM

Watch CNN, Fox News, ABC, CBS, NBC
--
LC

m II December 26th 04 06:23 PM

John Barnard wrote:

The number I've seen is 7000. Very little news about it on SW so far. I'm parked on 11880 kHz
(Radio Australia) at 1749 UTC waiting for a news report.

Over ten thousand now. radio Australia fading badly here

Calgary AB Canada

18:22 GMT

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...640265,00.html

Telamon December 26th 04 07:44 PM

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Dennis and Judy Toye wrote:

the total killed is now at 3,000 deid

Makes sense that if they are killed they are indeed dead.

I have had to kill some Trolls more than once before they were dead.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California