RadioBanter

-   -   Is Majordomo Dead? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/62819-majordomo-dead.html)

SR January 26th 05 11:11 PM

Is Majordomo Dead?

Years ago when I first came online, if you wanted to join a mailing
list, you would normally subscribe to Majordomo, Listserve or Listproc.

These email mailing list programs where difficult to use at first, but
after a while they were cool to use.

I wonder which of these mailing program came out first?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a host address, that I could use the
NETWIDE or LIST command, so that I could then find a mailing list to join?

I hope that they are not disappearing like BBS & TELNET. And I hope
that newsgroups as we have them do not disappear either!

Some could say, well, people are making computerizing user-friendly.
And I had always said: User-friendly is User Limited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I still use Qbasic and DOS!

It is funny because, even in the computer age, some people could be
old fasion like me. LOL!

73!

Brenda Ann January 27th 05 09:56 AM

"SR" wrote in message
Years ago when I first came online, if you wanted to join a mailing
list, you would normally subscribe to Majordomo, Listserve or Listproc.

These email mailing list programs where difficult to use at first, but
after a while they were cool to use.

I wonder which of these mailing program came out first?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a host address, that I could use the
NETWIDE or LIST command, so that I could then find a mailing list to join?

I hope that they are not disappearing like BBS & TELNET. And I hope
that newsgroups as we have them do not disappear either!

Some could say, well, people are making computerizing user-friendly.
And I had always said: User-friendly is User Limited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I still use Qbasic and DOS!

It is funny because, even in the computer age, some people could be
old fasion like me. LOL!

Telnet is still active. Also still a number of BBS's out there (FidoNet is
still active as of a few months ago).

You're right about operating systems. It may not have been pretty, but I
could do a lot more with DOS and BASIC. Besides, it gave me a feeling of
accomplishment to build things myself from the start.

Stephen M.H. Lawrence January 27th 05 04:25 PM

"SR" wrote in message
[...]

That's funny...I was debating the other day whether I should delete my
library of QBasic programs or not. I think I'll keep it, actually.

BBSs and Telnet are/were near and dear to my heart - those really
were the days. Remember Fidonet? (getting all choked up now, heh heh)

The "cyberworld" (as it existed 15 years ago) was a friendlier, text-based
world.

73,

Steve

Brian Hill January 27th 05 05:13 PM

"SR" wrote in message
Years ago when I first came online, if you wanted to join a mailing
list, you would normally subscribe to Majordomo, Listserve or Listproc.

These email mailing list programs where difficult to use at first, but
after a while they were cool to use.

I subscribe to a couple Majordomo lists, one of which is
. To subscribe send email TO:

etc.....

There still out there.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

john sumner January 27th 05 07:56 PM

That's funny...I was debating the other day whether I should delete my
library of QBasic programs or not. I think I'll keep it, actually.

BBSs and Telnet are/were near and dear to my heart - those really
were the days. Remember Fidonet? (getting all choked up now, heh heh)

The "cyberworld" (as it existed 15 years ago) was a friendlier, text-based
world.

73,

Steve

And less trolls and wingnuts in the news groups like this one which years

ago was pretty good

Markeau January 27th 05 11:38 PM

US-CERT uses majordomo for their alerts
http://www.us-cert.gov/