RadioBanter

-   -   Speakers (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/63000-re-speakers.html)

Mark S. Holden January 29th 05 04:25 AM

Speakers

wrote:

Interesting thing happened tonight. For some time I've been using a
speaker that's received plenty of criticism: the Drake MS8. Earlier
tonight I heard VOIRI (Voice of the Islamic Rep. of Iran) on 6120 khz
and the signal was incredibly strong and clear. I decided to sit back
and listen, but the announcer's voice was just so bassy and 'muffled'
sounding that it wasn't always easy to understand her.

So, I decided to get an amplified Sony speaker out of my closet and
hook it up to my R8B. The Sony speaker definitely produced a sound that
was somehow 'smaller'. Even so, the announcer's speech was perfectly
intelligible on the Sony, while it wasn't on the MS8. From now on, I
think I'm just going to use the Sony speaker. I think there are still
better speakers out there and when I find one I'll 'trade up'; but for
now the Sony will do.

I guess the lesson here is: Don't overlook the significance of your
speaker!

Steve

Good speakers do make a difference. I like Bose center channel speakers
for use on radios that come with ones that aren't very good.

Telamon January 29th 05 12:36 PM

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Good quality non amplified bookshelf speakers are good option for most
tabletop radios.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

starman February 1st 05 06:56 AM

wrote:

[...]

Good advice. You could replace the speaker inside the MS8 (box) with one
that has a tweeter (coaxial) and probably achieve the same result. Then
you would have an MS8 that sounds like a better speaker but still
matches the R8B.

Mark S. Holden February 9th 05 04:43 AM

wrote:
Good quality non amplified bookshelf speakers are good option for

most

tabletop radios.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Will most tabletop receivers have the power to drive such speakers
without an amplifier? I'd worry that I wouldn't be able to get
reasonable volume without some sort of amplicication.

Also, if no amplification is necessary, what sort of cable do you use
to connect the speaker output of the receiver to the spring clips on
the back of the speaker?

Steve

It really doesn't take very much power to drive a typical speaker to
enough volume to fill a typical room.

Often, an external speaker will be more efficient than the one that's
built into the radio.

On the wire - nothing special - the external speakers I use (Bose vs100)
have the push in spring clips. I use 16 gauge speaker wire, and tin the
wires on the end that goes into the speakers and the other end I put
whatever connector the radio wants, or if it's a screw terminal or
spring clip, I just tin that end too.

[email protected] February 9th 05 09:21 PM

wrote:
And then get one of those Buttkicker rigs and hook it up to your

couch.
www.thebuttkicker.com
cuhulin

Sure wouldn't want to use this thing when listening to Radio Bulgaria.
That would probably result in back injury.

Steve

[email protected] February 9th 05 09:43 PM

About three years ago,a guy and a lady from a Ukraine radio music
station were guest on the JT and Dave radio talk show,
www.supertalkms.com and they had some pre recorded music they had
brought from Ukraine.One of the songs was Highway To Hell in Ukrainan
language.It is much better than the American version of Highway To
hell.I wish I could remember the name of that Ukrainian radio station.
cuhulin

dxAce February 9th 05 10:05 PM

wrote:

About three years ago,a guy and a lady from a Ukraine radio music
station were guest on the JT and Dave radio talk show,
www.supertalkms.com and they had some pre recorded music they had
brought from Ukraine.One of the songs was Highway To Hell in Ukrainan
language.It is much better than the American version of Highway To
hell.I wish I could remember the name of that Ukrainian radio station.

You probably are more occupied with looking for that bottle of Scotch than you
are with trying to remember the name of some obscure Ukrainian radio station.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

RHF February 9th 05 10:30 PM

For One and All,

[email protected] February 10th 05 02:20 PM

Yes, it's a RCA Mini-Speaker Pro-X33AV. Because it's discontinued and
was a stand-alone, I got it and the phone plug for less than 20 bucks.
I already had plenty of speaker wire at home. Last night I turned up 18
reviews of this speaker on eham.net and it gets a 4.8 out of 5.0
rating. That's not bad. It is a good speaker for shortwave listening.
No doubt about it.

Steve

Rob Mills February 10th 05 05:47 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, it's a RCA Mini-Speaker Pro-X33AV

I have a RS Pro-X33AV that has "Optimus" on the front. It's a great little
speaker and is built real similar to my RS Minimus 7 except that it's
slightly smaller, both speakers have cast aluminum enclosures and are quite
heavy. I use RS DSP-40's (5 watts) on both speakers.

RM ~