RadioBanter

-   -   What's the most enjoyable receiver you've ever owned? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/63302-re-whats-most-enjoyable-receiver-youve-ever-owned.html)

Hatfield February 1st 05 03:16 AM

What's the most enjoyable receiver you've ever owned?

My Zenith Transoceanic, one of the older vacuum tube models, the G500.
By today's standards its big, like a suitcase. Glorious tone controlled
by several sound organ buttons. Off the huge SW whip it's still hot as
a firecracker sensitivity wise.

By the way, the detachable wave-magnet was supposed to be suction
cupped onto the window of your commuter train or airliner. Can't you
just imagine someone today boarding with such a mega boombox? :)

But around the home its more fun than all my modern rigs put together...

[email protected] February 1st 05 03:24 AM

JerryJ-KY wrote:
As an aside to sdaniel3's thread further down, what's the
shortwave receiver that gave you the most "fun" while
listening?

It doesn't have to necessarily be the best rig, just the
one that was the most enjoyable to work with.

Mine is probably a Grundig S350 bought a few months ago.
Definitely not a top performer, but great audio and
portable.

--

Bluegrass DaVinci Fellowship
Central Kentucky Group of Shortwave Enthusiasts

Any of the Hammarlund SP-600 series.

Les

[email protected] February 1st 05 03:28 AM

Probably the most enjoyable as an armchair receiver was the Panasonic
RF-5000b.
It was Panasonic's luggable answer to the Zenith TO and Sony=AD World
Orbiter. It was large, heavy around 22 pounds with an absolute=ADly
wonderful audio. The polished metal and black case was wood=AD lined,
and the resulting sound was delightfully mellow.

It had four antennas, selectable filters (narrow was mechani=ADcal), agc
control, bfo, multiple bandswitches across the top and backl=ADighting
for individual bands as selected. With a mortgage one could=AD power it
with batteries. Otherwise a switchable voltage power supply=AD did the
trick.

It was no dx machine, but BBC symphonies sounded great. Of =ADcourse
audio on AM and FM were superb. With a bfo switch it was po=ADssible to
decode ssb. Finding a specific station on the ham bands was
hit-or-miss and a challenge. But the intent of this delight=ADful
monster was armchair listening to broadcast stations.

Sensitivity when new was not great by todays standards, and=AD 30 years
had probably taken its toll on electronics. Still it was a =ADjoy to
use for 5 years.

Joe Analssandrini February 1st 05 04:17 AM

Dear Jerry,

If you've read some of my previous posts, you know I own a Lafayette
Model HE-10 receiver, along with its associated speaker, the HE-11. I
bought these in April 1962. At that time I also bought a pair of
Clevite "Brush" BA-200 headphones. I still have all of these and they
still work as well as they did when new. (The only "service" the radio
has required is a few tube replacementts.)

This was my main short wave radio for 38(!) years until I bought a
Grundig Satellit 800 in 2000. Last year I bought what I consider to be
the finest short wave radio ever made, the AOR AR7030 Plus.

I have never owned (or even seen) a radio that performs like the
AR7030. But I will always have a "soft spot" in my heart for that old
Lafayette. Every couple of months, I turn it on, wait a half-hour for
it to "settle down," and then search out signals, just like in the old
days. Even with the same antenna as on the AOR, there is no comparison
in sensitivity or selectivity, but there is (and always will be for me)
something "magical" about that old radio!

Best,

Joe

not4longeryousee February 1st 05 04:23 AM

"JerryJ-KY" wrote in message
. com...

As an aside to sdaniel3's thread further down, what's the
shortwave receiver that gave you the most "fun" while
listening?

Three stand out from the pack for us:

Classic radio: Collins R-392, the watertight "little brother"
to the R-390/A. (this was the only radio I ever owned that
I could squirt with a garden hose in the backyard on a
95° F Summer day, while it was still turned on, and it kept
right on playing !!)

Modern radio(s): Drake SW-8 and the Yaesu-Musen FRG-7.
(..the Drake SW-8 was rather quirky in it's control pad layout but
it was great to put in a few D-Cell batteries and take it camping)

Conan Ford February 1st 05 08:49 AM

JerryJ-KY wrote in
. com:

As an aside to sdaniel3's thread further down, what's the
shortwave receiver that gave you the most "fun" while
listening?

It doesn't have to necessarily be the best rig, just the
one that was the most enjoyable to work with.

Mine is probably a Grundig S350 bought a few months ago.
Definitely not a top performer, but great audio and
portable.

Sangean ATS-803a so far is the best.

Stephen M.H. Lawrence February 1st 05 02:59 PM

"raoul" wrote:
Did you ever put D-sizes in the FRG-7? I don't own one but a friend
does. He's never put "D"s in but it is possible.

raoul

3 or 4 times every year, I do. Expect decent battery life
with headphones on and dial lights off. I think a gel cell
might be the way to go, though, or NiMH batteries, and
am looking into this.

The battery boxes on the FRG7s you might see for sale
nowadays are getting more rare. Folks tended to leave
batteries in the battery box, and they would leak, destroying
the assembly.

I think the FRG7 is the most fun receiver I've ever used,
and to tie in with another thread, it's really very quiet.

Overall, it's a wonderful radio for everyday use - my other
radios rarely are used.

73,

Steve

elg110254 February 1st 05 04:28 PM

A lowly Realistic DX-120, a Xmas gift from the folks, will always have a warm
spot in this hipster's memory. Even designed a regen mod, which boosted signal
reception. After garnering a QSL from ORF Vienna, Austria, one of those
grizzled tech sarge's said that pup didn't have enuff guts to snag a signal
that weak. He swore(literally) that I'd used another sarge's Hammarlund. That
120 didn't survive time's ravages as well as its' replacement DX-160(still
goin' strong, but replaced by a Yaesu FRG-7). But that 120 was as seminal in
cultivatin' an interest in shortwave as a tubed Fisher professional amp was in
germinatin' a hi-fi addiction! B.T.W. pismoclam, had some of that legendary
Pismo Beach clam chowder in breaded bowl a few years' back enroute to Santa
Barbara. ' Twas da B-O-M-B Bubba!!!

William Mutch February 1st 05 05:09 PM

In article ,
says...

As an aside to sdaniel3's thread further down, what's the
shortwave receiver that gave you the most "fun" while
listening?

It doesn't have to necessarily be the best rig, just the
one that was the most enjoyable to work with.

Mine is probably a Grundig S350 bought a few months ago.
Definitely not a top performer, but great audio and
portable.

I once had an SX-28. I'm *really* sorry I sold it. It went
magic places in the midnight hour.

elg110254 February 1st 05 05:47 PM

William, N6PY Bill, of the West Coast A.M.I. Net, 3.870mhz & Friday night
Collins Net, 3.895mhz, has a few articles on the legendary SX-28 in upcoming
Electric Radio issues.

Tony Meloche February 1st 05 06:46 PM

William Mutch wrote:
In article ,
says...

As an aside to sdaniel3's thread further down, what's the
shortwave receiver that gave you the most "fun" while
listening?

It doesn't have to necessarily be the best rig, just the
one that was the most enjoyable to work with.

Mine is probably a Grundig S350 bought a few months ago.
Definitely not a top performer, but great audio and
portable.

I once had an SX-28. I'm *really* sorry I sold it. It went
magic places in the midnight hour.

For the old-time romance of knob-twiddling and the feeling of
"listening to the world": The '37 Zenith blackface. For the sheer
capabilities and ease of use, the Icom R-75.

Tony

[email protected] February 1st 05 11:28 PM

My first SW radio, an unkwon Zentih.
Then My Heathkit GR64., with a Q-multiplier no less.
The excitment of discovering SSB and CW.
Then the Friday my first R2000 arrived.
My wife and I took off work, took her VW transporter
(a bigger version of the MicroBus) to the Red River
Gorge for a mini-DXepiditon.
I was hooked on the R2000. Smooth tuning, great sound.
Well thought out controls for the user. It is still my favorite
SW radio. So much so that I bought another when the
opertunity arrose.
For the mini-DX events we now use a set of DX398s,
good, small radios, but not a R2000. My wife insisted
on a SW of her own when I bought the first DX398
on closeout at radio shack.
Terry

[email protected] February 3rd 05 05:27 AM

The year was 1973 - the receiver: DX150B
Eventually I added a homebrew preselector... some IF Transfilters...
a frame-loop antenna..
The absolute pinnacle: Picking up Germany and USSR on 872 Khz on
subsequent evenings in the fall of 1976..
from the West Coast of Canada..
As I look over my shoulder, I see the DX150B, its dial lights still
glowing, its sound as sweet....

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
www.coffeecrew.com Colin Newell's Daily Grind
rnewell AT vcn DOT bc DOT ca
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[email protected] February 3rd 05 05:29 AM

When I bought my R2000 (used in 1995) I had taken a big step..
still have it.. it has the VHF Convertor and a Collins filter
in the narrow position..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

[email protected] February 3rd 05 06:28 AM

Depends what it's used for I guess...I always liked transoceanics
for casual MW use...I still have a 58 model under the table, but
don't use it as the caps were starting to flake out a bit. Back in
the early 70's when I really started listening alot, I used only a
small philco portable, http://web.wt.net/~nm5k/r6.jpg ,but heard a
half zillion stations. Got my moneys worth, thats for sure...
Back in those days, "I was in jr.hi", something like a drake 2c,
which a friend of mine had, was like a cadillac... I didn't own a 2c
until the early 80's...Anyway, as far as my shortwave BC, that philco
probably heard the most stations. After that, and even now, I'm not
really that interested in SW BC...More ham, and utility, etc...I'll
listen to a SW-BC station once in a blue moon these days.
My most fun radio these days? The IC-706mk2g hands down. It does nearly
*everything* in a box the size of car stereo...Of course, it's a
transceiver, so it talks, but it's also wide coverage rcve...Longwave
to 200 mhz straight line, and then from 400-470 mhz. All modes on all
bands...It's quite good on MW-SW, but is also a killer scanner for
VHF/UHF.
Better receiver than most "scanners", and has 4 scan modes. I could
sell every piece of gear in this shack, and leave just that 706, and
still do everything I normally do...Home, mobile, portable. For it's
real dinky size, it's a killer radio...It's no contest rig, but it's
way more versatile than most contest rigs being it covers VHF/UHF also.
These days, the chance of me buying a stand alone receiver are pretty
low. I'd almost always buy a transceiver, so I can really get my moneys
worth...I spent $900 on the 706 in 2001...It's less than that now.
Maybe
$750 plus or minus...So far, not a lick of trouble, and it's on 24/7.
Knock on wood...:/ MK

David February 3rd 05 03:49 PM

I get the most use out of my SW2, as it's my bedside radio. I really
like having the R8B and the R-75 for technical sophistication and
computer control, but the SW2 gets the most use.

Volker Tonn February 13th 05 08:02 PM

schrieb:

That woman down the street around the corner on Carter Circle.
cuhulin

Ypsilon

Private February 13th 05 09:39 PM

Great thread Jerry.

My most "enjoyable" would have to be a Sony ICF-2003 purchased back in
the late 80's. It was made in Japan from 1987-1991.

- SSB mode in addition to AM
- external antenna jack
- Continous coverage 153KHz - 30MHz

I received it as a birthday gift after much begging and pleading. Now
I am using a professional receiver, however I still have that little
Sony and it still works great after 15 years.

Lloyd

[email protected] February 20th 05 10:56 PM

I was 12 years old. The Family had an old non-working Zenith 6s222
black dial. By some miracle I was able to get it going again. I
remember late nights tuning that beautiful dial searcing for stories
from around the world. Sure wish I had that old radio again. What a
wonderful experience!

I've had much better receivers since but none has provided the
enjoyment of that old Zenith.

Bruce Kizerian
www.elmerdude.com

Bob Monaghan March 8th 05 10:04 PM

my first SWL receiver was from a Boy Scout merit badge booklet (early
1960s) featuring a super-regenerative superhetrodyne multi-tube rcvr. Much
better than some of the later "replacements" (S-38..), except that
cosmetically mine was built on a aluminum baking tin chassis ;-) ;-)

Besides nostalgia, the bands are much more crowded today so those same
older radios don't work as well without help in the selectivity dept...

my most unusual radio was a ham receiver Mosley CM-1 which used the same
tube type thru out the radio ;-) Must have gotten a great buy in surplus?
;-) ;-)

grins bobm

* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************

Tony Meloche March 9th 05 12:57 AM

Bob Monaghan wrote:
..

my most unusual radio was a ham receiver Mosley CM-1 which used the same
tube type thru out the radio ;-) Must have gotten a great buy in surplus?
;-) ;-)

grins bobm

Boy, the word "surplus" brings back memories. When I was growing up
in Detroit ('50's-'60's) there was a huge store in town called "Gell's
Civilian PX". Anything - and I mean *anything* - ever made for or used
by the military could be found there for amazing prices. More than one
buddy of mine had a SW receiver that was military surplus - heavy, dark,
muscular-looking cabinets with huge dials. Then, almost overnight it
seems, the "Military Surplus Store" was a thing of the past, for the
most part. There is one near me right now. Canteen covers and
post-Desert Storm polyester field jackets is about the extent of the
true "military surplus" they have.

Tony

[email protected] March 9th 05 03:35 AM

Back in the 1940's and 1950's there was an Army surplus store on either
Pearl Street or Pascagoula Street in down town Jackson and that store
had all kinds of Military surplus things for sale to anybody.The only
so-called Military "surplus" store that I know of in this area nowdays
is Dave's Military store just across the Pearl River from Jackson on
Highway 80 in Pearl,Mississippi and that store is the same kind of
modern Military "surplus" store you speak.They have a little Poodle dog
in there and that dog will bark his ass off at anybody who walks in that
store.
cuhulin

[email protected] March 9th 05 06:24 AM

starman March 10th 05 06:27 AM

My Hallicrafters S20R. You had to be there. :-)

[email protected] March 10th 05 04:40 PM

Boy, the word "surplus" brings back memories. When I was growing

up
in Detroit ('50's-'60's) there was a huge store in town called

"Gell's
Civilian PX". Anything - and I mean *anything* - ever made for or

used
by the military could be found there for amazing prices. More than

one
buddy of mine had a SW receiver that was military surplus - heavy,

dark,
muscular-looking cabinets with huge dials. Then, almost overnight it

seems, the "Military Surplus Store" was a thing of the past, for the
most part. There is one near me right now. Canteen covers and
post-Desert Storm polyester field jackets is about the extent of the
true "military surplus" they have.

Tony

So, why did the real military surplus stores disappear? I'd think that
the military has just as much, if not more, aging items it could sell
off. What happened?

Steve

Brian Running March 10th 05 05:09 PM

So, why did the real military surplus stores disappear? I'd think that
the military has just as much, if not more, aging items it could sell
off. What happened?

I'd guess that their customers disappeared. Shopping at
military-surplus stores just isn't what your typical American consumer
is into these days, just as we don't go to railroad-salvage stores
anymore to buy cases of dented cans of Campbell's soup. Just the same,
there's Sherper's and American Science and Surplus here in the Milwaukee
area that usually have plenty of real, honest-to-goodness military
surplus stuff.

Michael Black March 10th 05 05:14 PM

) writes:

[...]

"Surplus stores" may have existed before, but clearly they got a big
boost (or were created) after WWII where there was a shift from a massive
war footing to peacetime. There was indeed a lot of surplus, ie things
that were no longer needed by the military. There was a lot of stuff
and it was cheap, for the surplus dealers to grab up and hence for
the customer to guy.

That stuff lasted a long time. I was able to buy a brand new Command
Set transmitter for ten dollars in 1972, I seem to recall that it was
even in some packaging.

As time progresses, such large wars are a thing of the past. Yes,
there has been near constant war somewhere, but it is generally handled
by the usual level of equipment. There are no spikes, where suddenly
massive amounts of equipment need to be bought, and then nobody wants
it afterwards.

So there is much less surplus than there was as a result of WWII ending.

I suspect what there is, is increasingly bought up by other countries
(within whatever rules there are about export), to be used by their
armed forces. It's cheaper than buying new, but since it's a necessity
they can outbid the surplus dealers that remain.

IN WWII, much of the equipment was pretty generic, give or take some
cypher equipment. A radio receiver was a radio receiver, and a teletype
machine was no different from a "civilian" version except maybe it
was painted green.

I suspect more and more, military equipment is specialized. It has
the cypher equipment built into the receiver, and that Teletype machine
is now a computer, that may be built to certain specifications. Given
that, they don't want that stuff to go out on the market, because they
don't want everyone to have those capabilities. Hence I suspect
there is much more that will be destroyed rather than put on the market.

Another fact likely rides on all of this. Surplus was once a relatively
big thing. The stores were small, but I think they tended to be a
bigger part of the culture. The neighborhoods where the stores were
have changed, driving up rent prices and the owners have aged or
even died. So no matter what surplus is still available, it's no
longer distributed the same way.

Michael

Eric F. Richards March 10th 05 08:20 PM

(Michael Black) wrote:

As time progresses, such large wars are a thing of the past. Yes,
there has been near constant war somewhere, but it is generally handled
by the usual level of equipment. There are no spikes, where suddenly
massive amounts of equipment need to be bought, and then nobody wants
it afterwards.

So there is much less surplus than there was as a result of WWII ending.

Actually, I think there's more to it. Take Fair Radio Sales as an
example. I spent an afternoon just wandering around their floor, back
room and warehouses.

From talking to them it sounds like they buy stuff in HUGE lots. The
surplus market is dominated by companies that do that now, despite
laws trying to make it easier for people -- individuals -- to bid on
surplus.

But anyway, once they get that surplus, 1) it's often in terrible
shape and may take 3 or 4 radios to produce one marginally workinig
one, and 2) there's often classified stuff in there (whether it NEEDS
to be classified is irrelevent) that must be destroyed. And they do.
You hear about wonderous radios -- just great radios, no crypto or
anything like that -- that end up being run over with bulldozers,
because they're classified.

Bureaucracy in action...

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940

Tony Meloche March 10th 05 10:31 PM

wrote:
[...]

I think the main part of the reason - not all of it - is this:

There are many reasons we eventually won WWII. The one least
discussed or understood is possibly the single most important one: We
OUT-SUPPLIED the Axis to death! We had, in effect, zero war production
on Dec 8, 1941. In a superhuman effort, we had tied all axis countries
combined by late 1943, and in 1944/early 45, we *really* took off.
Remember, even the big brass thought we would have to invade mainland
Japan to end the war, and that would have been a *massive* undertaking.
Supplies were manufactured with that in mind.

Then, suddenly, it was over, and untold millions of tons of rapidly
obsolescing equipment was left. Consider thousands of surplus stores
all over the USA, and the governmet "attic" kept them supplied until it
all ran out (something like 20 years or more). By that time, they'd
changed the rules, and actual war material production was a fraction of
what it was in 1945, and you are left with what passes for "surplus"
stores today.

As I said, that's not all of it, but it's a lot of it.

Tony