RadioBanter

-   -   420 kHz (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/63795-re-420-khz.html)

dxAce February 6th 05 04:02 PM

420 kHz

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce February 6th 05 04:35 PM

helmsman wrote:

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:02:12 -0500, dxAce wrote:
helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

I can hear them here, though very weak on 419.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Tony Meloche February 6th 05 04:49 PM

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

I can hear them here, though very weak on 419.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I can get it clearly, too- but I am hearing Morse letters H H G
repeated over and over - or is that something else? (I admit to almost
zero knowledge of beacons). It is clearer on 419 here.

Tony

Tony Meloche February 6th 05 04:55 PM

Tony Meloche wrote:

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only
get a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

I can hear them here, though very weak on 419.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I can get it clearly, too- but I am hearing Morse letters H H G
repeated over and over - or is that something else? (I admit to almost
zero knowledge of beacons). It is clearer on 419 here.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups

Figured it out - I was hearing Huntington, IN at 417kHz.

Tony

dxAce February 6th 05 04:57 PM

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

I can hear them here, though very weak on 419.

You might try for our local here on 233 it's HLM.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce February 6th 05 04:58 PM

Tony Meloche wrote:

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

I can hear them here, though very weak on 419.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I can get it clearly, too- but I am hearing Morse letters H H G
repeated over and over - or is that something else? (I admit to almost
zero knowledge of beacons). It is clearer on 419 here.

HHG is on 417 and is in Huntington, Indiana

Tony

Brian Hill February 6th 05 05:06 PM

"helmsman" wrote in message

Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

Heres another:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/ndb.htm

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Caveat Lector February 6th 05 05:17 PM

HHG Morse ID is:
HUNTINGTON NDB
HUNTINGTON, IN
Frequency 417 kHz
Use http://www.airnav.com/navaids/
There you can type in frequency, Morse IDer, or name

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

=----

Brian Hill February 6th 05 08:51 PM

"helmsman" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:51:53 GMT, "ShortwaveMan"

wrote:

Just for the heck of it, has anyone heard RNT at 353, Renton, Washington

?

~~~~~ God gives peace not war +
"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"helmsman" wrote in message

Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

Heres another:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/ndb.htm

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian
A lot of radios and 100' of rusty wire!
Zumbrota, Southern MN
Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

353.5 QGT is what I get. Ain't got a clue who that is.

QG is Winsor Ontario. You sure thats not it?

B.H.

Dale Parfitt February 6th 05 11:31 PM

helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get

a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

This is MCW- modulated CW, so you are likely listening to the tone sideband
in CW mode.

Dale W4OP

Al February 7th 05 01:38 PM

QG is Winsor Ontario. You sure thats not it?

B.H.

Guess that was a Loooooooooooooooooooooong T!

Most of the time Canadian beacons transmit a long dash after their ID
(sometimes called DAID) as opposed to long silence as in the US beacons.
QG carrier transmits on 353kHz with a tone of 400Hz that's why it appears
to be near 353.5kHz. QG with a DAID sounds like QG long T.

Listening to beacons can be a form of DX in itself. So far I have 489
beacons logged consisting of 30 US states, 46 Canadian, and a total of 17
countries. My furthest beacon is IPA, Isla de Pascua (Easter Island), Chile
on 280kHz, 3,990 miles away. They have a 3kW transmitter so they are a
rather easy copy. Most NDBs (non directional beacons) are under 25 watts of
power.

Don't get sucked into listening for NDBs or you will be up all night
listening to, as my wife calls it, strange beep beeps.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, TX

Brian Hill February 7th 05 05:14 PM

"Al" wrote in message
[...]

There a good way to check propagation. After 25 years in the hobby I just
started paying attention to those little beeps. I've never messed around
with LF and VLF etc.. until recently and I find it interesting also.

[email protected] February 11th 05 05:51 PM

Note that airnav doesn't include the ".51" in their database. For
instance, COR is at 205.51, but listed as 205 on airnav.

Also not that many military beacons are not listed on either the FCC
database or airnav. I have three examples, namely
xsd 278Khz Tonopah Test Range, Nevada
pyd 414kHz, Groom Lake, Nevada
aec 209khz Basecamp, Nevada (a cool NDB with voice on it)