RadioBanter

-   -   Question for Drake R8 owners (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/64102-question-drake-r8-owners.html)

[email protected] February 9th 05 09:50 PM

Question for Drake R8 owners

I've noticed that unlike other receivers I've had the R-8's BFO in
the CW mode is not offset to produce a tone but is exactly on zero
beat. Is it possible to adjust this for an offset that produces,
say, a 600 or 700 Hz tone when you are dead nuts on the signal
frequency? I don't have the service manual/schematic where I could
figure this out.

Thanks,

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

dxAce February 9th 05 09:55 PM

wrote:

I've noticed that unlike other receivers I've had the R-8's BFO in
the CW mode is not offset to produce a tone but is exactly on zero
beat. Is it possible to adjust this for an offset that produces,
say, a 600 or 700 Hz tone when you are dead nuts on the signal
frequency? I don't have the service manual/schematic where I could
figure this out.

I don't think so. At least I've never seen anything like that out there.

That holds true for the A and B versions as well.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

dxAce February 10th 05 09:28 PM

Brian Denley wrote:

dxAce wrote:
wrote:

I've noticed that unlike other receivers I've had the R-8's BFO in
the CW mode is not offset to produce a tone but is exactly on zero
beat. Is it possible to adjust this for an offset that produces,
say, a 600 or 700 Hz tone when you are dead nuts on the signal
frequency? I don't have the service manual/schematic where I could
figure this out.

I don't think so. At least I've never seen anything like that out
there.

That holds true for the A and B versions as well.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Looking at the R8 theory of operation writeup in the servie manual (mine is
an R8A), can't you artificially do this with the passband offset control?
This shifts the 50 KHz BFO by +/- 3 KHz as I understand things.

I'm not sure, but I'll check it out tomorrow. I don't think it will work, but
I'll give it a try.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Mark February 10th 05 10:18 PM

"Brian Denley" wrote in message

BTW, The NRD-535D provides a really nice system, allowing the user to set
the BFO offset to any specific frequency (accurate to the Hz).

FWIW, the NRD-545 does the same thing. BFO offset can be set anywhere
between -2550 Hz to +2550 Hz in 10 Hz steps.

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.