Old February 12th 05, 08:44 AM
Conan Ford

Default What if... The Roman Empire had short wave...

Forget radio, what if the Romans had thought of Semaphore? In the time of
Napoleon, semaphore towers could convey official messages from Paris to
Rome in 20 minutes. I imagine that a just-sent "The Huns are approching.
We are burning all records," would bring help faster than a guy riding a
horse as fast as possible. An elaborate system could even have had room
for a newswire type of service, where space was available, with slaves
copying down messages to be read to the masses.

Old February 13th 05, 03:05 PM
Michael

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
What if the Roman Empire had short wave before the end of the first

century
???

[snip]

So why didn't the Romans develop shortwave?

The Romans were too busy accumulating wealth the old fashioned way. They
were stealing it. They were stealing the lives of the Maxwells and Teslas
of the day under slavery. The ancient EH Armstrong spend his life lugging
some damn standard in a Roman Legion.

Technology developed at a glaical pace until the people had a chance to
develop their own inventions and keep the rewards.

It's a fine thing the Roman Empire is gone.

Frank Dresser

Everywhere the Romans went, they took technology with them. Without any
question, the quality of life and the level of technology went up
tremendously in the areas that they added to their empire. Paris, London
and Cologne were all Roman cities that didn't have so much as a wading pool
much less advanced stone architecture, running water and a sanitary system
before the Romans got there.

As far as slavery goes... Yes.. Indeed... They had slavery. Was it a bad
thing ??? Yes, it was terrible. Though, from my own studies, it would seem
that the life of a Roman slave serving in a Roman house circa the first
century had a better life then the average American slave serving on a
plantation circa 1850. It is always good to remember that fact before
writing them off as just a bunch of brutal and abusive animals. The point I
was making was not to show how idea and desirable the Romans were, but to
explore how the world might have evolved if they had some sort of broadcast
technology. The way things went, slavery wasn't legally abolished in the US
until 1863. It is more then entirely possible that slavery would have been
abolished sooner had Rome not fell. All civilizations are open to change
and social growth. Not just the US.

Also... If you think that Romans were all that bad, may be we should think
about giving technology to the Huns, Vandals or even worse, some body of
ethnocentric religious fanatics that have it all figured out.

Michael

Old February 13th 05, 03:42 PM

And,Nero did not fiddle while Rome burned either.
cuhulin

Old February 13th 05, 03:46 PM

U.S.fed govt (can y'all say? Follow The Money) has been selling/giving
www.softwar.net our American technology away for many,many years.
cuhulin

Old February 13th 05, 03:28 PM

Italians invented some of the Greatest Inventions the World has ever
known.Great wimmins too :{)
cuhulin

Old February 13th 05, 03:23 PM

I would much prefer to own an Italian built Shortwave Radio or any
Italian built Radio than any slant eyed chink built Radio.
cuhulin

Old February 13th 05, 04:16 PM
RHF

MICHAEL,
Old February 14th 05, 09:16 PM

What the **** is a homophobe? Whatever it is,I don't think it applies to
me.I am going and look it up.Hey,any time you want to see a Freak,just
look in your ****room mirrow.
cuhulin

Old February 14th 05, 11:40 PM
Honus

wrote in message
What the **** is a homophobe?

Oh Lord. If I laugh any harder, I'll tear something internally! Either that,
or I'll soil myself.

Down, GayinCanada, down!

Here you go, my friend:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homophobe

Whatever it is,I don't think it applies to
me.I am going and look it up.

I'm dying to hear what you think. Do you owe me an apology?

Hey,any time you want to see a Freak,just
look in your ****room mirrow.

Well, at you least you capitalized the word. Although coming from you, I'm
sure it was an accident and not an acknowledgement of my freaking
superiority.