Old February 14th 05, 12:51 AM
DaKid

Default Science fair short wave

Can someone recommend a kit for me to build with my daughter. I am not a
regular hobbiest, but I built a Heathkit when I was a kid and thought it
would be fun and a good way for her to be introduced to electronics. Any
thoughts? Thanks..... Of course the Science Fair is in a couple of
weeks!!...lol

Old February 14th 05, 04:31 AM
Tom Sevart

"DaKid" wrote in message
Can someone recommend a kit for me to build with my daughter. I am not a
regular hobbiest, but I built a Heathkit when I was a kid and thought it
would be fun and a good way for her to be introduced to electronics. Any
thoughts? Thanks..... Of course the Science Fair is in a couple of
weeks!!...lol

A couple weeks is a short time to build a shortwave radio. But hindsight is
20/20 so they say.

There aren't a great many SW receiver kits out there that I'm aware of. I
think TenTec makes one but it's a general coverage HF receiver and may be
kind of pricey and complicated for a science fair project.

You might try looking at one of the Ramsey kits at
www.ramseyelectronics.com. They have some amateur band receivers matching
their QRP transmitters, plus they also have AM, FM, and shortwave receiver
kits. It could probably be built & tested in a couple days, depending on
your kit building skill. URL is:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ction&key=SR2C

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old February 14th 05, 05:16 PM
William Mutch

In article ,
says...

"DaKid" wrote in message
[...]

I've built a couple of these Ramsey kits and think they would be
quite suitable for a youngsters SciFair project. If all goes well you
also get a surprizingly good radio...much more satisfying than a crystal
set on an oatmeal box.

Old February 15th 05, 12:40 AM
Brian Oakley

If you have a Fryes electronics in your area, they carry the Ramsey kits.

"William Mutch" wrote in message
ell.edu...
In article ,
says...

Old February 15th 05, 01:03 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Brian Oakley wrote:
If you have a Fryes electronics in your area, they carry the Ramsey kits.

"William Mutch" wrote in message
nell.edu...
In article ,
says...

"DaKid" wrote in message
[...]

Radio Shack has a bunch of simple project books that may be what you
are looking for and of course they'll sell you all the parts for the
projects.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Old February 15th 05, 12:56 AM
Jim Douglas

If you find the SW kits too much check out a crystal radio, that would be
easier to build and possibly more exciting for the others checking out the
projects

Old February 15th 05, 05:01 AM
Tom Sevart

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
If you find the SW kits too much check out a crystal radio, that would be
easier to build and possibly more exciting for the others checking out the
projects

Yes, I think a crystal radio would be far more interesting for a science
fair project, since a crystal radio does not need batteries or any form of
power other than the radio signals it receives.

I have a crystal set book in .pdf form on my webpage at
http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/homebrew.html . I plan to build one but just
haven't had the time to sit down and work on it lately.

Old February 15th 05, 05:22 AM
Michael Black

"Tom Sevart" ) writes:
"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
If you find the SW kits too much check out a crystal radio, that would be
easier to build and possibly more exciting for the others checking out the
projects

Yes, I think a crystal radio would be far more interesting for a science
fair project, since a crystal radio does not need batteries or any form of
power other than the radio signals it receives.

But it may work badly, or practically not at all, without a decent antenna.
Especially if the antenna is inside, and the building may have a lot of metal
to block the radio waves.

With something using gain elements can at least make an attempt at
compensating for both these factors.

Michael

Old February 15th 05, 11:05 PM
Jim Douglas

What about setting it up at home, with all the good antenna, ground,
recording results and having the ability to play the results during the
show?

Old February 15th 05, 08:02 PM
clvrmnky

On 13/02/2005 7:51 PM, DaKid wrote:
Can someone recommend a kit for me to build with my daughter. I am not a
regular hobbiest, but I built a Heathkit when I was a kid and thought it
would be fun and a good way for her to be introduced to electronics. Any
thoughts? Thanks..... Of course the Science Fair is in a couple of
weeks!!...lol

Sounds like a good idea. I'm curious, though, what the science part
might be? Will you use the radio as a jumping off point to discuss
electromagnetic waves or basic radio wave propagation? The application
of electronics? A discussion of early radio/electronics experiments?

It depends on the grade and the curriculum, of course. Is this is a
science fair where one is expected to follow the scientific method to
form an experiment to test some assumption? Or is the expectation that
your daughter will just demonstrate something of her own construction
that is based on science and technology?

Anyway, the Ten Tec stuff is usually reviewed quite highly, and at the
end of it, you will have a pretty useful radio:
http://www.io.com/~nielw/tentec1054/tentec1054.htm