RadioBanter

-   -   antenna expirement flops (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/64515-antenna-expirement-flops.html)

Michael February 15th 05 03:56 AM

antenna expirement flops

I just wanted to share the results an antenna experiment I did tonight. In
the rain, no less.

The antenna was simple. 300 feet of solid core 20 gauge copper wire. I ran
it from the 500 ohm connector of my R-75, out of the shack and all the way
into the back yard. The yard extends about 200 feet, so I had to double the
wire back in the direction of the shack for 100 feet.

No mater what I tune the dial to, I'm getting splashed from the local 50
kilowatt am stations. The preselector doesn't clean it up either.

Every time I exceed 200 feet of wire, I have the same problem.

Weird...

Michael

[email protected] February 15th 05 05:03 AM

It's a wonder you didn't get hit by lightning fooling around with all of
that wire out there in all that rain. www.lightningstorm.com
cuhulin

Tom Sevart February 15th 05 05:07 AM

"Michael" wrote in message

No mater what I tune the dial to, I'm getting splashed from the local 50
kilowatt am stations. The preselector doesn't clean it up either.

Every time I exceed 200 feet of wire, I have the same problem.

Sounds like your front end is being overloaded by the AM stations. I guess
the simple solution would be to not exceed 200 feet of wire. A 200' random
wire should work well, I'd think. But if you have local 50 KW stations,
then it's not unusual to get a lot of imaging and intermod with a long
antenna.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Guy Atkins February 15th 05 05:12 AM

What do you mean by "splash"?

I have Beverage antennas of 450 and 700 feet, oriented toward my desired
targets *and* (unfortunately) a number of 50kw MW stations in the
Seattle/Tacoma area. I also have a 1 kw station 1.4 miles off the end of one
of the antennas. I have a number of S-9+65db stations on the dial, but my
R-75 and IC-756Pro handle them well. However, I'm not using the hi-Z input
but the 50-ohm unbalanced input via a Beverage matching transformer and
grounded, double-shielded coax.

Have you tried adding a transformer and the 50-ohm input?

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

RHF February 15th 05 12:07 PM

MICHAEL,

Michael February 16th 05 02:03 AM

"Guy Atkins" wrote in message
What do you mean by "splash"?

I have Beverage antennas of 450 and 700 feet, oriented toward my desired
targets *and* (unfortunately) a number of 50kw MW stations in the
Seattle/Tacoma area. I also have a 1 kw station 1.4 miles off the end of
one of the antennas. I have a number of S-9+65db stations on the dial, but
my R-75 and IC-756Pro handle them well. However, I'm not using the hi-Z
input but the 50-ohm unbalanced input via a Beverage matching transformer
and grounded, double-shielded coax.

Have you tried adding a transformer and the 50-ohm input?

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Hiya, Guy.... That is exactly what I already have currently with one of my
roof antennas, the 200' "Frankenstein. That antenna is ideal !!!! A great
DX'ing antenna. Detailed info is on my web page. See the link in my
signature. I just decided to try the 300' wire with no additional dressings
like transformers or coax feeds. The end result... The local AM flame
throwers are strong enough to overload the front end even on an R-75.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Michael February 16th 05 02:05 AM

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
MICHAEL,
.
First make sure that you have both of your
Icom IC-R75's Pre-Amplifiers turned OFF.

I did and I tried the att also. Even with the att switched on, the local AM
stations still overload the radio. It is just too much wire for my
location. North NJ is the king of the MW transmitters. Lots of ground
water and excellent conductivity. I just cant use that much wire.

Michael

TRY A LOOP ANTENNA :
Re-run the Wire as a Loop-On-the-Ground (LOG) Antenna.
Try to have the Out-Leg of the Loop separated as
much as possible from the Back-Leg of the Loop.
Use the Two HI-Z Terminals of your Icom IC-R75
for the input for this Loop Antenna.
.
USE AN "EXTERNAL" ATTENUATOR :
Build the GIZMO Box and use the built-in Attenuator
to reduce the Signal Levels.
READ - Portable AM/FM Shortwave Radio-to-Antenna
"GIZMOE" Connector Box
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/2070
NOTE - If you use the NE-2 Lite-Bulb and on a 'normal day'
the Bulb is always Glowing or Blinking; then Trim your
Antenna by 25 Feet and check it again - repeat as needed.
.
USE A MATCHING TRANSFORMER AND GROUND :
Continue to use your 200+ Feet Long Wire Antenna
and Build a Voltage Step-Down Transformer :
Use a Ferrite Core with a 25:1 or 36:1 Turns Ratio.
* 25:1 Ratio = Thirty-Five (35) Turns and Seven (7) Turns
* 36:1 Ratio = Thirty-Six (36) Turns and Six (6) Turns
Use a Ground Rod and Wire with this Matching Transformer.
.
CUT THE SIZE OF THE ANTENNA DOWN BY . . . . . . . . .
* Cut the Size of the Antenna from 300 Feet to 250 Feet
and use 50 Feet of Coax Cable as a Feed-in-Line.
* Cut the Size of the Antenna from 300 Feet to 200 Feet
and use 100 Feet of Coax Cable as a Feed-in-Line.
Plus use a Matching Transformer and a Ground Rod at the
junction of the Antenna Wire Element and the Coax Cable.
.
TIP - In the Future - Pick a Dry and Warm Sunny Day 'to do'
your Out-Side Antenna Work :o)
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
.
.

Michael February 16th 05 02:10 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael:

1: - What 50 watt station ??

2: What kind of Pre selector are you using?
I have a MFJ - 1046 pre selector; It's very good

Dan / NYC

Dan... I hear 66, and 77. My preselector is an MFJ-1048. Same as you have
but you can use it to transmit too. 300 feet is just too much wire here, I
think. My 200 foot antenna is OK, but 300 feet at ground level is just too
much wire. Given the ground conductivity here, I'm not sure if the antenna
was just soaking the signal up MW signals right from the ground.

Check out my two antennas on my web site. Both of these work great. 300
feet was just too much. The link to my web site is in my signature.

Michael February 16th 05 02:18 AM

"Guy Atkins" wrote in message
What do you mean by "splash"?

Intermod...

Michael

Michael February 16th 05 02:21 AM

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

I just wanted to share the results an antenna experiment I did tonight.
In
the rain, no less.

The antenna was simple. 300 feet of solid core 20 gauge copper wire. I
ran
it from the 500 ohm connector of my R-75, out of the shack and all the
way
into the back yard. The yard extends about 200 feet, so I had to double
the
wire back in the direction of the shack for 100 feet.

I used a similar solution with my roof wire. It is folded in a unique
manner. It is debatable whether or not that half the length of the 200'
receiving wire is nulled out because of the way it is folded.