Old February 25th 05, 03:29 AM

Default Help, Sony AN-LP1: internal loop antennas in steel reinforced buildings

Fellow shortwave enthusiasts,

Would Sony's AN-LP1 (indoor active loop) antenna work well inside a
steel reinforced apartment building? I understand it will be mounted on
a glass window, but should I expect the steel in the bldg to degrade
its performance any?

I'm considering upgrading to one of the following:

Setup1: A new Sony ICF-SW7600GR + AN-LP1 Antenna
OR..
Setup2: A used Sony ICF-SW77 (and use the built in whip)

are the two setups comparable in terms of sensitivity or other
performance considerations? maybe someone compared the two setups
firsthand?

Thanks for throwing some advice my way

alfard

Old February 25th 05, 04:17 PM

In my opinion, you should get the used SW77 and then rig up some sort
of stealth antenna. The SW77 is a better receiver than the 7600GR. I
own both and the difference between them is significant--at least where
SW is concerned. In particular, the SW77 is much, much better than the
7600GR on SSB, largely because it permits smaller tuning increments.

Once you have your SW77, go to radio shack and buy a spool of very thin
magnet wire, which is hard to see. You should be able to make a decent
stealth antenna this way.

The AN-LP1 antenna also works well with the SW77.

Good luck!

Steve

Old February 25th 05, 07:45 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

I always believe in buying new. If you buy from a reputable dealer, you
have someone standing behind you should there be any trouble.

That said, I recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR and the AN-LP1 antenna. If
you mount the antenna in a window, there should be no degradation of
the signal due to the steel in the building. A possible better choice
for a window-mount antenna is the AOR WL500 Window Antenna, though it
is much more expensive and does not "collapse" as readily as does the
AN-LP1.

Really, the only way you will know for sure is to do what most of us
have done: experiment. I do think the '7600/AN-LP1 combination should
prove satisfactory, however.

Using any radio with its built-in whip in a steel-reinforced building
is almost always disappointing at best unless the radio itself is
placed in a window.

In a previous reply to your question, Steve states:

" ... the SW77 is much, much better than the 7600GR on SSB, largely
because it permits smaller tuning increments ... "

This is incorrect as the '7600 has an ANALOG clarifier for SSB; that,
coupled with the USB/LSB switch allows for essentially perfect phasing.
In other words, there is "no" tuning "increment," or, you could say it
is "infinite."

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 05, 02:22 AM
Hatfield

Alfard, check to see if the 7600GR will step tune in 1KHz steps. My old
7600 (no GR) would only step tune in 5 KHz icrements. That would cause
missing some narrow SSB signals, because it would step right across
some of the stations and you might never know they were there. Anyway
that's why some folks are saying the tuning increments are large.

The infinitely precise fine tuning wheel only moves you along about 2
or 3 KHz total and then it stops rotating, so you can't scan a large
segment of a band with it. But not to worry if the radio SSB band
segments have 1KHz step tunning.

Old February 26th 05, 05:05 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR does indeed tune in 1 kHz steps.

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 05, 04:30 AM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
..
..
..

In a previous reply to your question, Steve states:

" ... the SW77 is much, much better than the 7600GR on SSB, largely
because it permits smaller tuning increments ... "

This is incorrect as the '7600 has an ANALOG clarifier for SSB; that,
coupled with the USB/LSB switch allows for essentially perfect

phasing.
In other words, there is "no" tuning "increment," or, you could say

it
is "infinite."

Best,

Joe

I don't know all the technical details of the fine tuning knob or
clarifier on the 7600GR, but it doesn't make the 7600GR the equal of
the SW77 when it comes to SSB reception. Maybe the superior performance
of the SW77 is due to something other than its 50 hz tuning
increments...I don't know. In any event, the difference in performance
is so striking when you compare the two receivers side by side, I think
it would be worth plunking for a used SW77--at least if SSB is a
priority.

Steve

Old February 26th 05, 04:39 AM

I just checked out the operating manual for the 7600GR. On p. 26 it
says "Use SSB FINE TUNE control to fine tune in to a frequency where
you have the best reception. You can fine tune the received frequency
in a range of about + or - 1.5khz. During this time, the frequency
display will not change."

Old February 26th 05, 05:16 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

That is correct. There is no doubt that in many ways the Sony ICF-SW77
was a better radio overall than the '7600. It featured better
sensitivity, more memories, a tuning knob, etc.

But I never owned one, and never considered buying one, due to the many
shortcomings ("chugging" while tuning, heavy battery consumption,
mediocre dynamic range, plus a few others) described in PASSPORT TO
WORLD BAND RADIO. These performance "lapses" are important to me; they
may be less important to others. (For example, I have one radio - a
Radio Shack DX-400 - that "chugs" when tuning; I'll NEVER have
another!)

All the comparisons are moot, however, in my opinion, because the
choice boils down to buying "used" or "new." I'll ALWAYS recommend
buying "new."

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 05, 05:26 AM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

There definitely is something to be said for buying new, and I don't
think he'd be disappointed at all with a 7600GR. There was a fellow not
long ago on the SW77 group over on Yahoo who got stuck with a defective
SW77 via Ebay. Definitely something to consider....