RadioBanter

-   -   Yosemite Sam-An Update! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/65993-yosemite-sam-update.html)

dxAce March 6th 05 10:03 PM

David Stinson wrote:

-=jd=- wrote:

No, I just don't see the YS transmissions as some form of "secret" research
or operation.

Nothing as dramatic as that;
My own theory (speculation, more like) is a field
exercise in radio location for small teams.
It would be useful for small operations abroad.
We did a lot of stuff in the 80s and 90s on
HF and in the clear, just because it was handy.

But that's not what MATIC was working on.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

John Kasupski March 7th 05 07:52 PM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:32:00 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:

Back a few years ago, ARRL's QEX newsletter printed some stuff about
government proposals for new radios that were the High Frequency
equivalent of a trunking radio system. These were frequency agile
highly automated radios that figured out for themselves how to
establish a connection on each end, no matter what the conditions.

Sounds like somebody was messing around with a prototype.

Yup. Today it's called ALE (Automatic Link Establishment) and it's all
over HF.

73 de John, KC2HMZ, KNY2VS
zIRC #monitor Group