RadioBanter

-   -   Channel Africa 7390 khz (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66455-channel-africa-7390-khz.html)

[email protected] March 10th 05 03:10 AM

Channel Africa 7390 khz

It's coming in fairly well on the East Coast at 0309 utc.

Steve

running dogg March 10th 05 04:20 AM

wrote:

It's coming in fairly well on the East Coast at 0309 utc.

Steve

Heard in California with S8 signal level from 0350 to 0356 sign off.
African music and a monologue by a man with an African accent, the
content of which I couldn't make out. Passport says that this signal is
meant for East Africa from Meyerton, South Africa, in English.

clvrmnky March 10th 05 04:40 PM

On 09/03/2005 10:10 PM, wrote:
It's coming in fairly well on the East Coast at 0309 utc.

I'll risk a "metoo" from SE Canada. I've been tuning in to Channel
Africa a few times with a few metres of wire hanging out the door.
There was a report on Ghana's recent independence celebrations which was
of special interest to me since my SO (XYL?) did some field research
there a few years back.

The best reception for me was more like 1400 hours, or so. I don't what
it is, but my daytime reception is fantastic lately.

-- cm

[email protected] March 11th 05 03:43 AM

Am listening to it again tonight. Right now (0343 utc) they're playing
that old song "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight.

dxAce March 11th 05 11:54 AM

starman wrote:

clvrmnky wrote:

On 09/03/2005 10:10 PM, wrote:

The best reception for me was more like 1400 hours, or so. I don't what
it is, but my daytime reception is fantastic lately.

-- cm

The earth happens to be (a coincidence) closest to the sun during winter
in the northern hemisphere. This means the ionosphere receives the most
radiation during daytime which makes it support propagation better,
especially the higher frequencies.

Well yes, but then generally the lower frequencies suffer. Unfortunately, during the
summer when the lower frequencies actually propagate a bit better we are then plagued
by thunderstorm static.

Can't win!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

clvrmnky March 14th 05 04:08 PM

On 10/03/2005 8:33 PM, starman wrote:
clvrmnky wrote:

On 09/03/2005 10:10 PM, wrote:
The best reception for me was more like 1400 hours, or so. I don't what
it is, but my daytime reception is fantastic lately.

-- cm

The earth happens to be (a coincidence) closest to the sun during winter
in the northern hemisphere. This means the ionosphere receives the most
radiation during daytime which makes it support propagation better,
especially the higher frequencies. The opposite happens in the northern
summer when the earth is farthest from the sun. This is why summer
propagation in the north is not so good in the daytime.

True, but I was referring to the lower frequencies (e.g., the 7390 kHz
that is the subject of the OP) which typically suffer during daytime
hours. Generally, I'm finding even lower, directed at West Africa
transmissions are coming in quite strongly for me in Eastern North America.

When first got my radio I just got noise around 30M during the day, or
maybe just local Hams on SSB.

I have been experimenting with different antennas, so maybe it's been
this way all winter, and one of my experiments is working better for me.