Old March 10th 05, 02:22 PM

Default What antenna do you use for AM BCB DX?

Hello Friends
Currently using my handy dandy Grundig S350 with occasional uses of my
long in the tooth Sangean ATS803A for AM BCB DX. That 803A is more
selective than I would've given it credit for. I have 2 communications
recievers (old Icom R72 and a fairly new Yaesu FRG100B). Some of the
tax refund is going on a good BCB DX antenna. Wonder if anyone out
there uses a communications RX for AM DX'ing (always wanted to try
it)...what antenna do you use?? If I can find the webpage..there is 1
company that makes an "outboard" rotating ferrite rod of pretty good
size. But, what do you folks use? Thanks 73 Greg WDX9KHY

Old March 10th 05, 03:52 PM
Ron Hardin

Get an ANC-4 and combine any two separated outdoor antennas. Getting rid of
stations is much more important than anything else.

--
Ron Hardin

Old March 11th 05, 12:10 AM
Dan

Used a $29.95 radio Shack A.M. Loop antenna..
Worked very well, BTW..

Would " Null Out" stronger stations, leaving the signal you wanted..

Old March 11th 05, 03:22 AM

Since I went to the Wellbrook loop, my ANC-4 doesn't seem to cancel
noise as well as it did when I had a long wire and a balun. I sure
hope the answer isn't another Wellbrook as the noise antenna into the
ANC-4.

Old March 11th 05, 03:21 PM

The built-in ferrite antenna in the radio at hand.

Old March 11th 05, 05:26 PM

McKay Dymek DA-5 BCB ferrite loop antenna.
Modified, like all my equipment, to operate frrom
a common +12V, very quite!, Lamda DC supply.
Works great.
The original power supply does produce some very
low level "hash", which is almost always covered by
the local RF noise .
Terry

Old March 10th 05, 05:24 PM
Stephan Grossklass

schrieb:

Hello Friends
Currently using my handy dandy Grundig S350 with occasional uses of my
long in the tooth Sangean ATS803A for AM BCB DX. That 803A is more
selective than I would've given it credit for. I have 2 communications
recievers (old Icom R72 and a fairly new Yaesu FRG100B). Some of the
tax refund is going on a good BCB DX antenna. Wonder if anyone out
there uses a communications RX for AM DX'ing (always wanted to try
it)...what antenna do you use??

I imagine that tunable loops (frames) should be pretty popular. These
can also be used with portables (inductive coupling by sticking the
portable right through the antenna frame). Apart from that, something
like a Wellbrook active loop (I've been considering getting one but my
bank account is still very skeptical [1] should also be very usable.
Some hard-core folks with *plenty* of space use beverages, of which you
preferably should have 2 so you're not too much restricted direction
wise. (A beverage is a fine directional antenna for MW and the lower
tropical bands, but its dimensions...)

If I can find the webpage..there is 1
company that makes an "outboard" rotating ferrite rod of pretty good
size.

This also sounds like it may be a viable option. Anyway, directionality
(plus some means of changing direction) is usually far more important
than pure signal strength on MW. Of course signal strength and
sensitivity *are* interesting once you're looking for hard-core DX.

Stephan

[1] When you're young and foolish, you don't think about TCO issues and
buy the best receiver you can still reasonably afford and no decenta
ntenna. Well, I did buy an ARA-60 at the time, too, but did not have any
possibility to put it up outside, so I merely got frustrated with all
the interference caught by this omnidirectional thing. *sigh* Well, now
there are the Wellbrook loops, but I'm currently having similar trouble
with FM BCB antennas since I want something more directional than a mere
dipole. *grmbl*
--
Home:
http://stephan.win31.de/
Old March 11th 05, 04:36 AM
Ken Wilson

Greg

I use

Indoor antenna : Quantum QX Loop
Outdoor antennas: Wellbrook K9AY & Wellbrook ALA 1530

I also have a Quantum Phaser that I go with on the 2 outside antennas
when I am on a Freq that I want to try for a "new one" .

IMHO the K9AY is the best you can do for a very small space. around a 30
ft square is all that is required. One center support around 26 feet
tall. Fiberglass mast.

73, Ken KG4BIG

Old March 11th 05, 04:20 AM
Tony Meloche

Hello Friends
Currently using my handy dandy Grundig S350 with occasional uses of my
long in the tooth Sangean ATS803A for AM BCB DX. That 803A is more
selective than I would've given it credit for. I have 2 communications
recievers (old Icom R72 and a fairly new Yaesu FRG100B). Some of the
tax refund is going on a good BCB DX antenna. Wonder if anyone out
there uses a communications RX for AM DX'ing (always wanted to try
it)...what antenna do you use?? If I can find the webpage..there is 1
company that makes an "outboard" rotating ferrite rod of pretty good
size. But, what do you folks use? Thanks 73 Greg WDX9KHY

When doing AMDX with my Icom R-75, I use the 110' longwire. More
stations, but more noise, too. The longest distance catches I've made
in AMDX have been with the Icom (Cuba, Mexico, etc.)

When using the GE Superadio III, and the "Select-A-Tenna", I get less
distance (to split hairs) but quieter reception (ability to rotate
antenna and tuner).

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!

Tony

Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna [Was: Wire ant question] RHF Shortwave 0 February 23rd 04 12:59 PM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM