RadioBanter

-   -   Some antenna feedline thoughts (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/69227-some-antenna-feedline-thoughts.html)

[email protected] April 19th 05 04:10 PM

anhydrous amonia

The meth cookers steal it from farm supply depots.
They often sotre/transport it in 25lb propane tanks.

A friend found a "brand new" 25lb tank on the side of a
busy highway. Took it home, hooked it up to his barbecue
and damn near killed himslef and his family when the amonia
came out.

The fire department and police told him he was very lucky
becasue anhydrous amonia is one nasty chemical. Every
few weeks the police catch a mobile meth lab and they have
to evacuate the area. They shut down I75 about a year ago
when a mobile meth lab sprang a leak. The amonia burned
the cookers pretty bad, and I75 was closed for about 12 hours.

A cop told me that they are waiting for some meth lab to kill
a neighborhood. Just what the world needs, some doped
out moron using anhydrous amonia. I am amazed that there
aren't more events.

Terry

Terry

[email protected] April 19th 05 04:14 PM

For info check out the MSDS for anhydrous ammonia.

http://www.wdserviceco.com/MSDSANHY.html

This crap is something I want to avoid.

Terry

dxAce April 19th 05 04:16 PM

wrote:

anhydrous amonia

Yeah, that's the stuff.

I can recall a place just north of me years ago that left the portable tanks of
that stuff they rented to farmers right out in the parking lot. That business is
long gone, but I imagine any other place that provides the stuff must have
security up the wazoo.

JerryJ April 19th 05 04:35 PM

I've never been to Frenchburg, though I've been to Natural Bridge a
couple of times. Very scenic out that way.

[email protected] April 19th 05 05:21 PM

The Red River Gorge wilderness area is very close to Natural Bridge.
If you are willing to hike a few miles you can get awy from power
lines,
people and their noisy cars.

With a DX398, or 2, and 2 roughly equal length pices of 50 to 100 feet
of wire, and some nylon monofilimanet you can have a wonderfull easy
mini DX party.
While the ridges are best, even the valleys are very good.

By using two roughly equal wire onteh DX398 we have found the addional
wire makes singals several "S" units stronger.

Not a dipole, but more as a counter-poise.

Late fall and early spring are our favorite times.
Fewer ticks and no crowds

Even Natural Bridge is great in the off season.
Just don't string an antenna on the brdige. :)

Terry

Michael A. Terrell April 19th 05 07:35 PM

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote:

Funny - I worked for a radio station in Topeka, back in 1992.
I've enjoyed a friendship with the station's chief engineer since
then. We drove down to Prestonsburg to pick up a 50kW
FM transmitter and its plate transformer, and stayed for the
weekend in Salt Lick, KY, just a stone's throw from Frenchburg.
We managed to have lunch in Frenchburg. That really is "God's Country,"
and I've thought ever since that it might be a nice place to
retire.

I was a teenager the last time I was there but I still remember the
clean air, the rolling hills and all that Kentucky Bluegrass where it
had spread all over the hills and mountainsides. The other thing i
remember was how quiet the radio and TV bands were. There was no
manmade noise on most bands so all you heard was a few radio stations or
bursts of static when a storm was pounding away at a mountain top.

Did you see "Broke leg Falls"? Its about ten miles from Frenchburg
and a popular tourist stop.

I moved a 25 KW UHF TV transmitter from Leesburg, Fl. to Destin Fl
around that time. It took four 28 foot Ryder trucks to haul all the
parts and the water chillier for the final tubes. The transmitter was
built in '52 in nine, three foot square aluminum cabinets. It was a RCA
TTU-25B which was one of the first "high lower" UHF transmitters.

That transmitter was quite an adventure - the tower site was
perched on top of a mountain overlooking Prestonsburg. We
were driving a 20-ish-foot Ryder truck, and the road up the
mountainside was impassable, mud, probably a foot deep. The
road was *very* narrow, and the drop was (I kid you not)
well over a thousand feet. A local contractor pulled us up the
mountainside with an ancient Cat, and the swaying of the truck
as we crawled up....Phew. I imagine the dashboard of that
truck still has holes in it. I was lucky to have a "mountain side"
seat on the way up. If I'd opened up the door, I'd have probably
fallen at least 50 feet before the first bounce.

Nice folks, though. I don't think I've ever felt so at home.
I remember the traffic jams, too...just coal trucks.

73,

Steve Lawrence

I still have a few relatives up there. One of them had a big rock
quarry called "Acme". Others farmed, made Sorghum and raised thousands
of chickens.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Stephen M.H. Lawrence April 19th 05 08:05 PM

wrote:

A cop told me that they are waiting for some meth lab to kill
a neighborhood. Just what the world needs, some doped
out moron using anhydrous amonia. I am amazed that there
aren't more events.

Terry

That anyhdrous is nasty stuff. When it re-wets, it reacts violently with
water, and destroys an amazing amount of lung tissue in a very short
time.

I am surprised that the gummint pays so much attention to pot, but
leaves meth enforcement to the local sheriffs.

73,

Steve

--
Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act
of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Stephen M.H. Lawrence April 19th 05 08:28 PM

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I was a teenager the last time I was there but I still remember the
clean air, the rolling hills and all that Kentucky Bluegrass where it
had spread all over the hills and mountainsides. The other thing i
remember was how quiet the radio and TV bands were. There was no
manmade noise on most bands so all you heard was a few radio stations or
bursts of static when a storm was pounding away at a mountain top.

Did you see "Broke leg Falls"? Its about ten miles from Frenchburg
and a popular tourist stop.

I don't remember being there, so I'll bet that, if we went through, I
was probably catching up on sleep.

I moved a 25 KW UHF TV transmitter from Leesburg, Fl. to Destin Fl
around that time. It took four 28 foot Ryder trucks to haul all the
parts and the water chillier for the final tubes. The transmitter was
built in '52 in nine, three foot square aluminum cabinets. It was a RCA
TTU-25B which was one of the first "high lower" UHF transmitters.

If I recall correctly, this was an RCA BTH 40, an "E" model, but it's been
some time. We had an easier time than you, but it did take 6 men to lift
and move that darned plate transformer. I enjoyed the "ride" back down,
because I wasn't looking straight down.

I'm surprised folks can raise sorghum there, but I don't know much about
the soil conditions. Chickens, on the other hand, are a "snap." ;P

[email protected] April 20th 05 12:01 AM

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

That anyhdrous is nasty stuff. When it re-wets, it reacts violently
with
water, and destroys an amazing amount of lung tissue in a very short
time.

I am surprised that the gummint pays so much attention to pot, but
leaves meth enforcement to the local sheriffs.
I am waiting for a cooker to blow a "make" and have a major leak
that wipes out a few dozen to hundred. And HS is worried about
al-Qaida. We have thosands of nut jobs brewing meth all over the
country. In a desperate attempt to bring it under "control", the
KY legislature has made it illegal for anyone to have more then
about 26 allergy pills in their home. Yea that is going to really slow
down people who will mess with something that will kill you.
It is difficult to buy primary Lithium cells around here. Stores
can't keep them on the shelf because the dopeheads steal them
so fast. Ether starting fluid is also getting hard to get.

Terry

Stephen M.H. Lawrence April 20th 05 01:28 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

[...]

It occurs to me that some folks add a couple of ounces of acetone
to their fuel tank to improve gas mileage and clean their coked
pistons and cylinders. I wonder if they're getting harangued for
doing so? The same ban is in effect here in Uber-Liberal land;
I can only buy 2 boxes of Sudafed (the only thing that kills those
nasty sinus headaches I get 12-20 times a year) at a time. Like you,
I highly doubt that any such effort will put an end to meth production.

FWIW, meth has wiped out some communities in Iowa. It's
truly evil.