RadioBanter

-   -   Does anyone know a good, cheap, wideband reciever? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/69918-does-anyone-know-good-cheap-wideband-reciever.html)

atomicthumbs April 28th 05 12:11 AM

Does anyone know a good, cheap, wideband reciever?

I want one preferably with SSB. If nobody know of one, I'll buy an
ATS-909.

[email protected] April 28th 05 12:50 AM

I have a grundig satellit 800 with SSB

asking $350

Jim Hackett April 28th 05 01:49 AM

Define "cheap"

oups.com...

craigm April 28th 05 02:09 AM

Jim Hackett wrote:
Define "cheap"

"atomicthumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...

I want one preferably with SSB. If nobody know of one, I'll buy an
ATS-909.

You also need to define "wideband".

atomicthumbs May 2nd 05 06:22 PM

Something like the Icom R3- except without the video.

atomicthumbs May 2nd 05 06:22 PM

$200 or so

John S. May 2nd 05 06:42 PM

Not quite sure what a wideband radio is these days, but a cheap radio
that can receive multiple bands and ssb would be a Degen DE1103.

Brenda Ann May 2nd 05 07:44 PM

"atomicthumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
$200 or so

Yaesu VR-500 or Icom IC-R2 both go for around that price on ebay all the
time.

Brenda Ann May 2nd 05 07:45 PM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"atomicthumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
$200 or so

Yaesu VR-500 or Icom IC-R2 both go for around that price on ebay all the
time.

Oh.. of those two, the Yaesu is by far the better radio... harder to tune,
but has SSB/CW capablility, and there's a firmware (button) mod for
narrowband AM.

Jim Hackett May 2nd 05 08:17 PM

Not trying to start an argument, Brenda but how can you say the Yaesu is
harder to tune? Punch in 123.45 ENTER. What could be easier?
The Icom, you have to hold a button while turning the bfo, etc...