Old May 17th 05, 05:18 AM
Part 15 QRP

John S. wrote:

Your comments make me think of a restaurant or theater critic who has
been writing columns too long. Things that would pass by most
listeners loom very big in their eyes, nothing new compares to the way
it was once done, etc.

There are *few* stations left with truly quality programming. For the most
part, commercial American radio has become a commodity and the only thing
that means anything to the people that run them is the bottom line.

And yes, many listeners have taken notice. I'm convinced that the ones that
haven't just don't know any better. They don't realize that it *could* be
better because all they know is what they've had for the past 10 years.

Tim
--
Visit the new Unlicensed QRP website and forums: http://www.qrp.timpauly.com
The site and forums are geared toward legal, unlicensed (non-ham) radio
Old May 18th 05, 09:38 AM
dxAce

Bushido Hacks wrote:

I'm tired of hearing that crap. Anyone got any idea where I could find
some music?

You might try Radio Lider, Bogota Colombia on 6140 (6139.8 or so). They play
some good music.

I currently have them on here at 0830.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 18th 05, 01:22 PM
John S.

Part 15 said: There are *few* stations left with truly quality
programming.

JS As I said, your comments come across as from someone who has been
in the business too long. The old way of doing things is always
better. A long running restaurant critic began to whine about how the
modern restaurants could not compare with the french restaurants so
popular in the 1960's. Not all the time, but she eventually retired
and we got a fresh voice.

Part 15 said: For the most part, commercial American radio has become
a commodity and the only thing that means anything to the people that
run them is the bottom line.

JS Is this new news to you? Since when has commercial radio not been
a business focused on making money. Good grief...thats why all of us
devote a good part of the day to working. We make money during those
hours. But I think you are missing something fundamental here. If a
station doesn't offer creative and interesting programming that
attracts listeners then they will not be in the business for very long.
Likewise with presenters, producers and everyone else involved...if
they don't come up with a product that attracts business then they are
gone. But that standard applies in many work situations besides
broadcast radio.

I'm not sure what you mean by radio being a commodity. Are you saying
that the purchase and sale of radio stations is somehow wrong? Stations
have always been bought and sold and brought under a corporate umbrella
of one kind or another. If you mean the sale of air time for revenue
producing advertisements...well...that is part of running a business.
If you mean something else, please explain...

Old May 19th 05, 01:19 AM
Bushido Hacks

Ah, Chuck Berry. The REAL king of rock 'n' roll from my hometown of St.
Louis.
Now there is a guy who needs some worldwide airplay.

But seriously, I understand shortwave isn't FM radio, I just want to
hear something else besides some jerk saying that I'm going to burn in
hell for not sending money.

If there is anything I have learned from Christianity, Judism, and
Islam it is that these three major religions want you to do three
things:
1) Give them money.
2) Kill everyone else who doesn't practice your religion in some holy
masacre. (Making insults counts too.)
3) Destroy what ever part of the world that doesn't want to listen to
there crap.

It's true. At this point, paganism seems rather ideal. (BTW: paganism
is not satanism. The only religion that worships satan is satanism. It
is not paganism. The word "pagan" as derives from the Latin word
"pagus" which means "civilian".) It is far better to be treated as a
civilian than a servant.

The world needs rock'n'roll. Not the new stuff but the classics like
Chuck Berry and Elvis Pressly.

Old May 19th 05, 02:57 AM
running dogg

Bushido Hacks wrote:

[...]

Actually, from what I've heard, "pagus" means "one from the provinces"
or something similar. It was the people in the far reaches of the Roman
Empire who were the last in Rome's sphere of influence to convert to
Christianity, long after big cities such as Rome and Constantinople
became Christian. The urban Christians referred derivisely to the
hillbillies in the provinces who still believed in the old gods as
"pagani".

Polytheistic religions such as Wicca DO seem to be more tolerant than
the great monotheistic faiths. Buddhism is also a nice alternative, but
it practically requires monastic study-something most Westerners aren't
willing to do. Even in predominantly Buddhist countries like Thailand,
most laypeople just celebrate major holy festivals and leave intensive
practice to the monks.

In monotheism the less tolerant, more rabid elements are quickly gaining
ground, and their lust for destruction is truly frightening. They are
willing to pull out ALL the stops-including nuclear war-in order to
destroy the "infidels" of the other side and/or force the End Times to
arrive. The Christians believe that when the Bombs fall, the righteous
will conveniently be lifted up to heaven in order to avoid the
tribulation to follow, and will be plunked back down after the
"cleansing". I suspect that if Bush ever DOES have a nuclear holocaust,
the Christians will echo the plaintive cry of the first Christian,
Jesus, on the Cross: "My Lord, why have you forsaken me?"

Old May 19th 05, 10:56 AM
GWBush

Polytheistic religions such as Wicca DO seem to be more tolerant than
the great monotheistic faiths. Buddhism is also a nice alternative, but
it practically requires monastic study-something most Westerners aren't
willing to do. Even in predominantly Buddhist countries like Thailand,
most laypeople just celebrate major holy festivals and leave intensive
practice to the monks.

Hindus have some very radical elements in their country. They are a
small but intolerant minority that kill Muslims and Christians, even
though Chritians have been there since the times of the Apostles and
Muslims were there shortly after the Prophet died.

Wiccans and other more modern Pagans HAVE to be moretolerant since
they are an extemely small monority in the world. Though I do know
some Pagans who seem nearly as intolerant as some fundamentalist
Christians.

In monotheism the less tolerant, more rabid elements are quickly gaining
ground, and their lust for destruction is truly frightening. They are
willing to pull out ALL the stops-including nuclear war-in order to
destroy the "infidels" of the other side and/or force the End Times to
arrive. The Christians believe that when the Bombs fall, the righteous
will conveniently be lifted up to heaven in order to avoid the
tribulation to follow, and will be plunked back down after the
"cleansing". I suspect that if Bush ever DOES have a nuclear holocaust,
the Christians will echo the plaintive cry of the first Christian,
Jesus, on the Cross: "My Lord, why have you forsaken me?"

I think they just get more press. And they have become very savvy at
using the media to their ends.
Old May 29th 05, 11:15 AM

When enough Americans become Muslims or Buddhists, we'll start having
the Muslim or Buddhist equivalents of Bro. Stair and Dr. Gene Scott.
The Xtn evangelists and the non-Xtns would be yet another Cold War.

Hudley Pearse

Old May 29th 05, 11:20 AM

At this point, paganism seems rather ideal.

Better listen to BBC's broadcasts dealing with Hindu fundamentalism.
Or read up on China vs. Japan, 1931-45. Pagans have all the usual human
flaws.

Hudley Pearse

Old May 29th 05, 11:25 AM

Wiccans and other more modern Pagans HAVE
to be moretolerant since they are an extemely
small monority in the world. Though I do know
some Pagans who seem nearly as intolerant
as some fundamentalist Christians.

Forgive me, but Wiccans boasting of their tolerance
are like eunuchs boasting of their chastity, when
really they haven't been tempted. Given power,
I'm sure that Wiccans would be just like the
rest.

Hudley Pearse