RadioBanter

-   -   new cable reply (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/71303-new-cable-reply.html)

duncan May 20th 05 02:18 PM

new cable reply

Hi,

Thanks to all that replied. The original connector was soldered by Japanese
girls with fingers much smaller than mine.

I may have to change the connection as suggested but still hope for a cable
lying around somewhere.

duncan

[email protected] May 20th 05 04:05 PM

duncan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to all that replied. The original connector was soldered by
Japanese
girls with fingers much smaller than mine.

I may have to change the connection as suggested but still hope for a
cable
lying around somewhere.

duncan
----------------------------------
For years I have been planning to develope a spider
monkey to work on all the small electronics I have to
service. Small hands to be able to work with small
parts, and small body to get inside small spaces.
At 6'2" and 225lbs I just can't squeeze into some
areas.

Several yars ago a friend needed to replace a SMD
transistor, he has the sakes from the swine flu shot,
so he trained his 8 year old daughter to solder and she
put the part in with no trouble.

Maybe you can find a woman or child with the small hands
and skill do the work. At work we have a woman engineer
and she gets "tasked" (stuck) with installing all the micro
connectors.

And a friend has a pardoy song about a looking for a "doctor
with small hands", sung to slow hand. Think of protrate exam.

Terry

[email protected] May 21st 05 07:03 AM

What I consider to be a good investment is a decent microscope. I use a
B&L Stereozoom 3 with 10x eyepieces, so I get 7.5x to 25x. Plenty good
for surface mount components. You can always add 20x eyepieces if you
need more magnification. The illuminators are about $20 surplus, but if
I were starting out from scratch, I'd rig up some sort of white led
illuminator.

Second best is a Luxo lamp. Surplus prices about $300 and maybe $20. I
haven't seen used Luxos in some time, probably because they just aren't
powerful enough.

This is the type of Luxo used in electronics assembly
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42884&item=7516115 156&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This is a typical B&L stereozoom set up with a heavy base and arm so
you can position it over your board, gear, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48740&item=7516441 151&rd=1

I don't think I'd every buy these kind of items on ebay. You really
need to inspect the glass on a luxo and the focus action on the
microscope.