Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4th 05, 10:26 PM
Lucky

Default Power Supply Radio Protection Experts Needed

Hi guys

I have a Icom R75 and Lowe HF-150 I want to run off a Astron PSU model
SL-11a. It's 13.84V and 7Amps. Now, I have some questions please about how
to protect my radios from any mishaps from the PSU or otherwise.

Now the specs for the R75 says it's current drain at 13.80v + or - 15% is :
Standy 0.9 Amps
Max. Audio 1.1 Amps

I bought a 2 conductor DC accessory cable that has a fuse holder on it. I
will use that to connect the PSU to the radio.
It it means anything it is 22 AWG RS part # 270-025

1] Now, what size fuse should I put in the fuse holder to make sure the
radio is totally protected from the PSU?

2] Am I protecting the radio from too much volts or amps or both? I figured
Amps.

3] I have some 250V 1.6 Amp fast acting fuses. The are 5 x 20mm GMA type
fuses. Radio Shack part number 270-1051. Are these OK? Is the main thing the
Amp rating and not the volt rating?

4] The Icom Radio comes with
3 Amp FGB fuses internally and for the DC cable. Now if the radio draws say
no more then 1.1 Amps, why are they using a 3 amp fuse? Why not 1.5A or even
2A? Why 3A?

5] So is 1.6A too low, too high, or just good? Should I go even lower to be
sure?

6] Now, the fuse in the Astron PSU itself.
Is that to protect from volt surges or amps surges?

7] Do you think I'm going to extreme measures to protect my receivers since
the Astron PSU is supposed to be that good? I want total peace of mind
knowing I did all I could to protect them.

8] My Lowe HF-150 will use 13.80v and the same PSU also. According to the
manual it can use between 10-15V and it draws approx 300mA but I think it's
more in the 500mA range to work properly.

9] Do you think I need a different fuse size in the holder to protect the
150 or will what I use to protect the R75 be sufficient for the 150 also?

10] What is the difference between "GMA" and "FGB" type fuses? Is it better
to use the longer ones, the mini ones or it doesn't matter?

I really appreciate the help. The guys at Radio Shack did their best to help
me but they weren't sure.
Thank you
Lucky