RadioBanter

-   -   Transatlantic Aircraft Positions (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/72790-transatlantic-aircraft-positions.html)

Buck Turgidson June 13th 05 05:21 PM

Transatlantic Aircraft Positions

A few years ago, I used to listen to commercial airliners on
transatlantic flights reporting their position to a Canadian tower.
Does anyone know if that practice still exists, and what frequency it
is?

Thanks.

B. Otten June 14th 05 02:17 AM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
A few years ago, I used to listen to commercial airliners on
transatlantic flights reporting their position to a Canadian tower.
Does anyone know if that practice still exists, and what frequency it
is?

Thanks.

Buck, that was probably the trans-Atlantic link at Gander, Newfoundland.
That airport was vital to trans-Atlantic planes as a refueling stop back
in the days when planes couldn't make a crossing from the states to
Europe on a carried fuel load, so they refueled there for the trip
across. That hub then became important as the tracking center as a
result. Once planes could make non-stop long distance flights, the
airport declined and with it the role of reporting station. The airport
was vital on Sept 11, 2001...handling and landing over 40 trans-atlantic
jets when the grounding order came.

The MWARA centers (Major World Airway Routes Areas) still use the
shortwave bands. Gander (VGA) is still active I think, as well as
Azores and Iceland radio. I haven't heard the station in Ireland for
some time (used to be Shanwick?).

Someone here will have the freqs.

Bill
KC9CS

B. Otten June 14th 05 02:24 AM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
A few years ago, I used to listen to commercial airliners on
transatlantic flights reporting their position to a Canadian tower.
Does anyone know if that practice still exists, and what frequency it
is?

Thanks.

Try some of these: (khz)

2872khz 2899 2962

3476 4675 5598 5616 5649 6622 6628 8825 8831 8864 8891

11279 11309 11336 13291 13306 13354 17946

Bill
KC9CS

Dave Holford June 14th 05 03:45 AM

"B. Otten" wrote:

Buck Turgidson wrote:
[...]

Shanwick (Shannon/Prestwick) still there. I heard them last night with
routine transatlantic traffic and rerouting for an Olympic flight with a
passenger who apparently had a stroke - gave them a fast direct routing to
Shannon.

New York and Santa Maria are still very active.

Dave