RadioBanter

-   -   rat shack loop acting as a wave trap! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/74997-rat-shack-loop-acting-wave-trap.html)

Jim July 22nd 05 12:32 AM

rat shack loop acting as a wave trap!

i am trying to use my rs loop with my dx390/ats818 radio. when i tune it
to the hot spot it works backwards! it attenuates the signal instead of
boosting it! what the heck? the loop seems to work alright with other
radios, but this is giving me a problem. opinions?

Brenda Ann July 22nd 05 01:12 AM

"Jim" wrote in message
i am trying to use my rs loop with my dx390/ats818 radio. when i tune it
to the hot spot it works backwards! it attenuates the signal instead of
boosting it! what the heck? the loop seems to work alright with other
radios, but this is giving me a problem. opinions?

Means that the loopstick in your radio is already higher Q and more closely
tuned than the RS loop. It's not a problem, it's a good thing.

Jim July 22nd 05 02:10 PM

thanks! its great news that the internal antenna is better than the
external one. the bad news is that i am trying to use the loop because
the am reception on that radio is so lousy! i have 3 dx390 radios and
the am was lousy on all three. my dx39/ats606 runs circles around all
the dx390/ats818 radios yet it responds well to the loop. hmmm. i guess
i should check into alignment procedures.

MnMikew July 22nd 05 03:51 PM

"Jim" wrote in message
thanks! its great news that the internal antenna is better than the
external one. the bad news is that i am trying to use the loop because
the am reception on that radio is so lousy! i have 3 dx390 radios and
the am was lousy on all three. my dx39/ats606 runs circles around all
the dx390/ats818 radios yet it responds well to the loop. hmmm. i guess
i should check into alignment procedures.

I also have a ats818c(the ratshack dx392) and its litterally deaf on FM, AM
not much better. Even with a longwire or amp'd antenna.

Northe Osbrink July 23rd 05 02:55 PM

Jim,

Jim wrote:

i am trying to use my rs loop with my dx390/ats818 radio. when i tune it
to the hot spot it works backwards! it attenuates the signal instead of
boosting it! what the heck? the loop seems to work alright with other
radios, but this is giving me a problem. opinions?

Try reorienting the loop -- it may be that it isn't pointing at the
station you want, so you are peaking on background noise. On a weak
signal, the position can be very critical. Also on most loops there can
be a substantial dip in signal strength if it is tuned somewhat off the
peak.

I'm sure that the loop is working fine.

Northe
N6KO

Jim July 23rd 05 03:14 PM

i tried moving it all around. i changed the position relative to the
radio and rotated the whole set-up around. the loop cant be faulty
because it works with other radios.

John Smith July 23rd 05 03:34 PM

Jim:

Although I have never seen it occur before, you have me almost willing
to adopt Brenda Ann's explanation without proof!

John

[email protected] July 23rd 05 04:41 PM

I think if you tune carefully you will find there IS a signal peak
right next to the attenuation null. This is the case when I use the
loop on some of my portables.

Frank