RadioBanter

-   -   UnUn - MLB - UMB - LWA = The Magic and Power of "Words" { Techno Babel } (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/77899-unun-mlb-umb-lwa-%3D-magic-power-%22words%22-%7B-techno-babel-%7D.html)

RHF September 8th 05 06:42 AM

UnUn - MLB - UMB - LWA = The Magic and Power of "Words" { Techno Babel }

JP,

Telamon September 10th 05 05:05 AM

In article .com,
"bpnjensen" wrote:

What's nonsense? It's simply descriptive. I guess the 'new
hobbyist' should try to 'learn' something. I know, 'learning' is a
novel concept for some folks, but give it a try!

dxAce Michigan USA

Of course you're right on this - but you have to admit, there is a
plethora of theory (as opposed to fact) and misinformation out there
on every topic, SW included, and the multiple names (balun, unun,
etc) attached to something as simple as matching transformer do not
make it easy for a novice to figure out what the contraption is,
especially when some of the names *actually* apply to other devices
for other purposes.

It isn't the equipment or theory that is hard - it is the imprecision
with which authoritative people toss around terminology, and once
tossed, fail to explain what it means. Some are even haughty and
demeaning when asked a question - how helpful is that? A novice
can't learn accurately (or satisfactorily) when explanations are in
short supply and their questions aren't answered in straightforward
(and friendly) terms. It makes no difference whether the information
is given by mouth or by written text.

I don't think this topic is that simple and I can see that many people
don't understand it. Some of these are technical terms for devices that
perform certain functions but for starters they are not all the same.
It is not a trivial task to get these devices to operate with a flat
response 500 KHz to 30 MHz, which is what most people want in a
receiving system.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California