RadioBanter

-   -   Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/78662-wellbrook-antenna-suggestions.html)

Cindy September 22nd 05 04:41 AM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

I am thinking about buying a Wellbrook ALA-1530 antenna to hookup to one of
the following radios: Icom 718, Icom 703 and/or a Radio Shack DX-398 (aka
Sangean ATS-909). Yes I realize it is a receive only antenna. I will be
using it for mostly shortwave and some AM.

Has anybody had any experience good or bad with this unit? Does anybody have
a suggestion of something better? Any comments appreciated.

Use your computer's spare processing power to advance science.
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Fold for Team 32
http://tinyurl.com/au396

FIREFOX BROWSER
A free, better, faster, and more secure browser
The one that those in the know use.

Joe Analssandrini September 23rd 05 12:07 AM

Dear Cindy,

I do not own the Wellbrook ALA 1530 model; I own the Wellbrook ALA
330S. The difference between the two antennas is basically that the
'1530 is optimized for the lower range of frequencies on SW, the MW
band, and the LW band while the '330S is particularly good with the
upper SW frequencies. (It works fairly well on MW but is relatively
insensitive on LW.) It sounds to me as though the '1530 would be best
for you, though it would be wise to e-mail or telephone Andy Ikin,
Wellbrook's owner, for his personal advice to you, based on your
listening habits. (His telephone number is 011 44 1591 620316. Remember
the time difference.)

The quality of construction of my '330S is superb; as all Wellbrook
antennas are handmade by Mr. Ikin, the '1530 would be made to the same
high standard.

It is hard to believe that my '330S is, in fact, an active antenna; it
is the quietest antenna I have ever owned. It makes summertime
listening (the season most prone to atmospheric and other "natural"
noise) as good as wintertime, in my experience. I should expect that
the '1530 would perform similarly.

I have my unit mounted atop an inexpensive Radio Shack TV rotator in my
attic, where it works extremely well and is, of course, protected from
the elements (the antennas are designed to be mounted outside but I
must mount mine indoors due to local community requirements). Indoor
mounting works extremely well and I should note that, contrary to the
recommendations in the instruction sheet, placement is not at all
critical. (That is the ONLY contradiction I can make to the excellent
instruction sheet; follow its advice TO THE LETTER otherwise - that is
VERY important.) Note that while a rotator is not absolutely necessary
with the '330S (though it is a great help), it is with the '1530 as
that antenna is even more directional than the '330S.

I have had my Wellbrook antenna since March 2004. I am very pleased
with it. In over forty years of shortwave listening I have never owned
an antenna that performs as well.

I hope the above is of some use to you.

Best,

Joe

Cindy September 29th 05 06:51 AM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Joe,

I really appreciate your long and detailed response. I ordered the 1530 and
it should be here hopefully in about two weeks or so. With all of the good
things that I've read about it I hope I'm not getting my hopes up to high.
One thing I learned a long time ago though is that the antenna and antenna
location make up a huge part of radio reception (and transmission). I have a
small city lot and had planned to put the antenna in the attic but may end
up putting it on the second floor instead for a couple of different reasons.
I can't wait to try it out on my different radios. After it is put through
its paces I'll report back here.

Again I appreciate your detailed and helpful response.

:)

oups.com...

Michael Lawson September 29th 05 03:03 PM

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

Joe's our resident Wellbrook expert/advocate. Outside
of calling Andy himself, you'd get the most info from Joe
stateside. (I'm not knocking Joe at all, but rather find
his info very helpful. In my case, it's that price point
that's holding me back. Okay, that and my stubborn
gene in me that says that I should be able to build one
that'll work well, too.)

--Mike L.

[email protected] September 29th 05 03:22 PM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Before you mount the antenna indoors, I suggest that you at least try
it outdoors, if possible. I have the 330S and find that it performs
much better outdoors. This isn't everyone's experience, but it'd
probably only take a few minutes to determine whether it'd be
worthwhile to locate it outside.

Steve

[email protected] September 29th 05 04:25 PM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Put it in your house.Somebody might come along and rip it off if you put
it out there on your small city lt.
cuhulin

D.K. September 29th 05 05:23 PM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Hi, Cindy
I 'm also thinking about ordering one. Please let's know your first
impressions when you'll get it !
Thanks in advance
D. Kremp
Normandy / France

Joe Analssandrini September 30th 05 12:34 AM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

Dear Mike,

I can empathise with you and your thought that you could make one
yourself.

Unfortunately, thus far, many have tried to duplicate the Wellbrook
antennas and all have failed.

Yes the antenna is costly, but when you consider what you spend on a
good receiver, and noting that the antenna is more important than the
receiver in terms of reception, its price looks to be more reasonable.
Also remember that you may buy many receivers over the years, but
you'll buy a Wellbrook only once!

Best,

Joe

[email protected] September 30th 05 12:54 AM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

My Birthday is November 5.y'all can buy me a Wellbrook Antenna if y'all
want to.Hey,only joking.But my Birthday really is November 5 and I will
be only 64 years young.
cuhulin

Cindy September 30th 05 06:42 AM

Wellbrook Antenna/ Suggestions?

You're right Joe... I would tell anybody to not cut corners on an antenna. I
wouldn't see anything wrong with buying a $130 Sony 7600 and a $230
Wellbrook antenna. If you wanted a little more elaborate receiver you could
look at used ham gear and get something pretty decent for just a little bit
more. I paid $390 for an Icom 703 brand new here a few months back. I think
you can also get an Icom 718 with DSP for about $500 now. I don't think it's
a whole lot different than an Icom R75 plus you get a transmitter on the 718
which will require a license. If you are a serious shortwave person (and I
am not) $230 for an antenna is not a lot to spend. If I had more space, I
would put up some really nice wire antennas which are really cheap to make.

As far as making a loop, if I wanted to do it on the cheap then I could make
one that would do pretty well. I might even be tempted just to buy the Sony
7600 and the Sony AN-1 Loop. You could do that whole shootin' match for less
than $240 and still have a pretty decent (and portable) setup. That's about
the cost of the Wellbrook. Yeah that sounds like a nice setup and you might
even put up a wire antenna for $5 dollars more and have two different
antenna setups. That sounds like the way to go for someone looking for
something nice and affordable. Something even cheaper might be that
Degen/Kaito radio everybody is so hot about right now. I think it's about
$80 off of Ebay. Throw in 20 feet of light guage wire and a $1 alligator
clip and you would have something decent and really cheap. If it has an
external antenna output, add another $2 for the plug.

Man is shortwave great or what?

Sorry about rambling on...

;)

P.S. Joe... Again thanks for your earlier input and I will post more when I
get the Welbrook.