RadioBanter

-   -   Noisy power lines? BEST solution? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/78770-noisy-power-lines-best-solution.html)

Daniel J. Morlan September 24th 05 11:15 PM

Noisy power lines? BEST solution?

Radios sound great with batteries, but when plugged in, sound is appreciably
poorer. Is there a real solution to this?

DJM

[email protected] September 25th 05 12:21 AM

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
Radios sound great with batteries, but when plugged in, sound is appreciably
poorer. Is there a real solution to this?

DJM

Have you tried ferrites?

Steve

chef@dennys September 25th 05 12:28 AM

First off, some radios like the GE Superadio series and other AM/FM/SW
portables are inherently noisier on AC power. Not much you can do about it
other than use batteries for serious listening. Receivers meant for AC power
only are usually better shielded and filtered.

What I'd do is plug the radio in and shut off all other power box circuit
breakers except the circuit the radio is on. If the noise persists, it's
either the radio or some other electrical device hooked into that circuit.
If the noise goes away, turn on circuit breakers one by one until the noise
comes back... then investigate items on the last breaker thrown.

Could also be a functional, yet marginal power transformer up the street, a
neighbors microwave or window air conditioner, or even bad wiring in your
walls or at the pole. Electrical noise can be tricky to find. Good luck!

m...

Dr. JT Windbag September 25th 05 05:26 AM

"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote in message
m...
Radios sound great with batteries, but when plugged in, sound is

appreciably
poorer. Is there a real solution to this?

DJM

Call the power company and tell them their Pole Insulators
and/or Transformer Insulator Bushings are arcing over.
Power companies seem more receptive to this type of
trouble as modern computer equipment needs a clean
source of power, or so their PR in Transmission and
Distribution Magazine says so. http://www.tdworld.com/

[email protected] September 25th 05 02:21 PM

otayyyy,you are wellcome.
cuhulin

arbusto September 27th 05 05:37 AM

In article ,
"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote:

Radios sound great with batteries, but when plugged in, sound is appreciably
poorer. Is there a real solution to this?

DJM

I get better reception on my radios with AC power cords when I plug them
in through a computer surge protector rather than directly into the wall.

arbusto September 27th 05 05:39 AM

In article ,
"chef@dennys" wrote:

First off, some radios like the GE Superadio series and other AM/FM/SW
portables are inherently noisier on AC power. Not much you can do about it
other than use batteries for serious listening. Receivers meant for AC power
only are usually better shielded and filtered.

Actually, the GE Superadio III is exactly the model where I discovered
that if I plug it into a computer surge protector rather than into the
wall socket I got much better performance.

Telamon September 28th 05 07:18 AM

Noisy power lines? BEST solution?

In article ,
arbusto wrote:

In article ,
"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote:

Radios sound great with batteries, but when plugged in, sound is
appreciably
poorer. Is there a real solution to this?

DJM

I get better reception on my radios with AC power cords when I plug them
in through a computer surge protector rather than directly into the wall.

Some of those surge protector strips also have filtering, which may be
helping.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California