RadioBanter

-   -   Tivoli Model 1 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/78781-re-tivoli-model-1-a.html)

Dan Conti September 25th 05 04:17 AM

Tivoli Model 1

They are nice sounding radios, but a bit overpriced IMHO.
NOT an AM DX machine either.

You obviously got a bad one, return it for a new one.

Dan
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

[email protected] September 25th 05 02:03 PM

Keep returning it,keep returning it,,, you might rack up a lot of
shipping and handling charges too.If it was me,I would return it and buy
a different brand name of radio.Ask them if they will cover all shipping
and handling charges to and fro,if not,I would forget all about Tivoli
radios.
cuhulin

David September 25th 05 02:10 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 03:17:49 GMT, Dan Conti wrote:

They are nice sounding radios, but a bit overpriced IMHO.
NOT an AM DX machine either.

You obviously got a bad one, return it for a new one.

Dan
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

They are killer for FMDX. My first one had a bad AUX IN jack that was
making the audio cut out. Keep returning it until you get a good one.

John S. September 25th 05 03:16 PM

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

Just get another one. They are nice sounding retro-cute looking radios
that compete with offerings from Sangean and Boston Acoustics. Expect
nice somewhat over-bassed FM sound in a small box.

David September 25th 05 03:47 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 08:03:09 -0500, wrote:

Keep returning it,keep returning it,,, you might rack up a lot of
shipping and handling charges too.If it was me,I would return it and buy
a different brand name of radio.Ask them if they will cover all shipping
and handling charges to and fro,if not,I would forget all about Tivoli
radios.
cuhulin

It's a killer FM radio. Buy locally, not mail order.

David September 25th 05 03:48 PM

On 25 Sep 2005 07:16:49 -0700, "John S." wrote:

Somebody Somewhere wrote:
OK, a Tivoli Model 1 is not a shortwave receiver, but I do recall this
radio being discussed in here a few years ago.

Anyway, I decided to buy one today. I get home, open the box, plug in
the radio, and turn it on in eager anticipation of soothing FM sounds.

Click ... WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Nothing but
incredibly loud feedback!!! I thought maybe Pete Townshend was in the
room. Yes, I tried different outlets and locations, same result.

Has anyone else had problems with their Tivoli, or am I just lucky? I
was disappointed to see that, despite the name, it's apparently just
another piece of Chinese junk.

Just get another one. They are nice sounding retro-cute looking radios
that compete with offerings from Sangean and Boston Acoustics. Expect
nice somewhat over-bassed FM sound in a small box.

If you have too much bass move it away from wall, closer to edge of
table.

David September 25th 05 04:45 PM

On 25 Sep 2005 07:56:42 -0700, "John S." wrote:

Even stand-alone on a table well away from a wall the little radio
overemphasizes the bass. It borders on annoying with male voices on
NPR and other talk programs. That sound is quite popular these days,
witness the mega-bass buttons and rumbly-low speakers popular on home
entertainment systems these days.

Most radio studios are accoustic nightmares. That contributes to the
boomy sound.

[email protected] September 25th 05 04:54 PM

I like a clean ordinary sound/voices from my radios,too much bass is too
much bass. www.thebuttkicker.com I want me one.
cuhulin

D Peter Maus September 25th 05 06:26 PM

David wrote:
On 25 Sep 2005 07:56:42 -0700, "John S." wrote:

Even stand-alone on a table well away from a wall the little radio
overemphasizes the bass. It borders on annoying with male voices on
NPR and other talk programs. That sound is quite popular these days,
witness the mega-bass buttons and rumbly-low speakers popular on home
entertainment systems these days.

Most radio studios are accoustic nightmares. That contributes to the
boomy sound.

As does the atrocious mic technique of most broadcasters these days.

I get tickled no end to see a mic that costs more than my car
virtually in Howard Stern's mouth.

Most jocks believe that eating a mic gives them bigger balls on the
air. Many others believe that it's the only way to overcome bad
acoustics. And then there's the third group that mics outside the
pattern because they believe that it relieves them of plosives. All off
which contribute to a boomy, as distinguished from bassy, sound.

One of my mentors years ago, use to say, you can't overcome weak
talent with poor technique.

David September 25th 05 06:50 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:26:03 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

He uses a Neuman TLM-170, doesn't he? Hardly the cost of any but the
most humble used car. Nowadays, the Chinese equivalent can be had for
the price of a Taxi ride to the Airport.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm