Old October 22nd 05, 06:04 AM
SR

Default HOLLOWEEN POST: Frankenstein's Tube

In the movie Frankenstein, I remember seeing tubes in the laboratory.
Besides the monster being scary looking, the tubes and electricity in
the laboratory was also very scary.

There was also two large electric bolts. I think that was real because
I had seen things like that in Edison's photos.

I wonder if these tubes were real or made up to make the movie even more
scary? Also, taking consideration the times: It would be normal to see
electric tubes in a lab.

But by today's standard, we would see that as very scary, mysterious,
archaic, even gothic. Just the same way if today we made a movie like
that, we would probably have common looking computers. And people in
the future who no longer use external computers would look back at it
the same way.

If I remember right this was a silent movie of the late 20. I have to
check my Hound Dog Movie Book.

SR
Old October 22nd 05, 07:28 AM
junius

I guess we all want that. Maybe when you go back, you'll find there
are merry-go-rounds and band concerts where you are... You've been
looking behind you. Try looking ahead.

Old October 22nd 05, 07:32 AM
junius

A man can think a lot of thoughts and walk a lot of pavements between
afternoon and night. And to a man like SR, to whom memory has suddenly
become reality, a resolve can come just as clearly and inexorably as
stars in the summer night. SR is now back in time. And his resolve is
to put in a claim. To the past.

Old October 22nd 05, 05:23 PM
Honus

"SR" wrote in message
In the movie Frankenstein, I remember seeing tubes in the laboratory.
Besides the monster being scary looking, the tubes and electricity in
the laboratory was also very scary.

There was also two large electric bolts. I think that was real because
I had seen things like that in Edison's photos.

I wonder if these tubes were real or made up to make the movie even more
scary? Also, taking consideration the times: It would be normal to see
electric tubes in a lab.

I wonder if you're referring to Tesla coils.

http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/gallery1.html

Old October 23rd 05, 04:48 AM
m II

Honus wrote:
"SR" wrote in message
In the movie Frankenstein, I remember seeing tubes in the laboratory.
Besides the monster being scary looking, the tubes and electricity in
the laboratory was also very scary.

There was also two large electric bolts. I think that was real because
I had seen things like that in Edison's photos.

I wonder if these tubes were real or made up to make the movie even more
scary? Also, taking consideration the times: It would be normal to see
electric tubes in a lab.

I wonder if you're referring to Tesla coils.

http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/gallery1.html

Probably a Jacob's ladder. I made one of these once using a big neon
sign transformer. The sixteen thousand volts would jump a half inch gab
at the bottom of the rabbit ear shape electrodes and then move up the
diverging wires because of hot air.

Coincidentally, that that was also the year I discovered radio interference

http://snipurl.com/iv98

=================================
One of those old(bad) movies had a huge Jacob's Ladder inside a large
transparent (glass, I assume - Plexiglass wasn't around then) hollow
column resonant at 60 Hz. Unbelievable sound!

http://members.misty.com/don/jacobs.htm#jlnrb

=================================

mike

Old October 23rd 05, 05:42 AM

I saw a website a few years ago about some guys who build their own home
made ligtning strike thingys in their garages.I sent that website to one
of my webtv user names.Greattttttt Bigggggg bolts of lightning they
make.
cuhulin

Old October 24th 05, 01:25 AM
Honus

"m II" wrote in message
Honus wrote:
"SR" wrote in message
In the movie Frankenstein, I remember seeing tubes in the laboratory.
Besides the monster being scary looking, the tubes and electricity in
the laboratory was also very scary.

There was also two large electric bolts. I think that was real because
I had seen things like that in Edison's photos.

I wonder if these tubes were real or made up to make the movie even

more
scary? Also, taking consideration the times: It would be normal to see
electric tubes in a lab.

I wonder if you're referring to Tesla coils.

http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/gallery1.html

Probably a Jacob's ladder. I made one of these once using a big neon
sign transformer. The sixteen thousand volts would jump a half inch gab
at the bottom of the rabbit ear shape electrodes and then move up the
diverging wires because of hot air.

Ah, I'll bet you're right.

Old October 24th 05, 02:12 AM

www.devilfinder.com Build your own giant Tesla spark coils

Wolverton Mountain song is playing on my radio now.I was working in Itta
Bena,Mississippi (new dormitories for the College) when that song first
came out.
cuhulin