Old October 30th 05, 12:17 PM
Mark Sherman

Default My new R-1000

You may recall my recent posts while I tried to decide which tabletop
reviever to buy.

I found a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay so I decised to buy it. Cost me
US 287.00.

As far as I can tell, it appears to be in very good condition. Smooth,
postive action on the knobs and switches.

I can,t revieve anything above the 11 meter band but I never could
so I don,t think it a fault in the radio. I could be wrong but I
don't think so.
I only using an indoor (on an inside wall) random wire antenna. I
need to set up a good outdoor ant.

My question is on the antenna connection points on the radio.
There are SW A and B connectins and a MW connection. The manual
says that an antenna should be connected to MW for freqs under 2mHz
and to use the SW connection for freqs avove 2mHz.

I find very little improvement by using the SW connections for any
freq.
I find great improvement when using the MW connection all the way up
to the 11 meter band. This is not how the manual says it should be.

Is this normal? Is the manual wrong or is there a maybe a fault in
the antenna connect points on the radio?

Can I connect the same antenna to both the SW and MW points at the
same time. That would basically be jumping one to the other.

What's with the dial calibration ring. There's nothing to calibrate,
it's just a log scale (I think).

Answers to those couple of questions would bring me inline with what
appears to be a fine radio.

Thanks,

Old October 30th 05, 05:58 PM
Greg

From: dxAce
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:10:46 -0500
Subject: My new R-1000

m II wrote:

Mark Sherman wrote:

I found a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay so I decised to buy it.

Sorry for the dxAce/Cuhulin style multiple postings, but this may be of
interest also:

You wouldn't know sorry if it crawled up your dingle-berry encrusted ass and
decided to spend a cold hard Canucky winter, you stupid 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Hey Drakeman - How do you know what his ass is encrusted with? OTOH, never
mind - I don't want to know!

Greg

Old October 30th 05, 06:04 PM
dxAce

From: dxAce
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:10:46 -0500

m II wrote:

Mark Sherman wrote:

I found a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay so I decised to buy it.

Sorry for the dxAce/Cuhulin style multiple postings, but this may be of
interest also:

You wouldn't know sorry if it crawled up your dingle-berry encrusted ass and
decided to spend a cold hard Canucky winter, you stupid 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Hey Drakeman - How do you know what his ass is encrusted with? OTOH, never
mind - I don't want to know!

He's in CanaDuh so I'm making the logical assumption.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 30th 05, 07:22 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Mark Sherman wrote:
My question is on the antenna connection points on the radio.
There are SW A and B connectins and a MW connection. The manual
says that an antenna should be connected to MW for freqs under 2mHz
and to use the SW connection for freqs avove 2mHz.

There's the switch on the back panel for which shortwave antenna is
in use. It matters.

I find very little improvement by using the SW connections for any
freq.
I find great improvement when using the MW connection all the way up
to the 11 meter band. This is not how the manual says it should be.

Is this normal? Is the manual wrong or is there a maybe a fault in
the antenna connect points on the radio?

Somebody could have been irritated enough that they changed the antenna
wiring around. (It's all there on the back panel. Turn the radio upside
down and take off the bottom plate...). Playing around with antennas
and then forgetting the switch setting is a common problem with us
R-1000 owners.

There's the Coax connector for the shortwave, it's 50 ohms (nominal).
This is what you'd use for a resonant antenna, or for a "tranformer
at the other end of the coax" Quiet Antenna connection. The speaker
(Fanhestock) clip for the wire antenna has a built in tranformer to
make that input 500 ohms. 2 MHz and below use the other speaker clip
wire, it also has a seperate matching transformer.

Can I connect the same antenna to both the SW and MW points at the
same time. That would basically be jumping one to the other.

There's a high value (10k ohm) resistor already in there to make
a connection between the two antenna. So medium wave will work
(poorly) off either of the other two connections.

Frankly, it's pretty deaf below 2 MHz. In addition to the seperate input
circuits (with the strange input impedance) for below 2 MHz, there's a
gain spoiler circuit that cuts the sensitivity down to 50 microvolts.

What's with the dial calibration ring. There's nothing to calibrate,
it's just a log scale (I think).

On mine it's a chem etched metal dial plate for the 1 MHz of the VFO, with
10 kHz hash marks and every 100 kHz in text. If it's not lighting up
(green), you've got a dead grain of wheat bulb. (The other two lamps
(meter, bandwidth) in mine burnt out and are replaced with amber
LED/resistors, but the main dial lamps never gone out in mine, so I
don't know the replacement procedure).

Mark Zenier

Old October 30th 05, 10:31 PM
Greg

From: dxAce
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:04:19 -0500

Old October 30th 05, 10:47 PM
Beerbelly

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:10:46 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

m II wrote:

Mark Sherman wrote:

I found a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay so I decised to buy it.

Sorry for the dxAce/Cuhulin style multiple postings, but this may be of
interest also:

You wouldn't know sorry if it crawled up your dingle-berry encrusted ass and
decided to spend a cold hard Canucky winter, you stupid 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

He knows the inside of his mom's boney butt! hahahaha
Old October 31st 05, 04:22 AM
m II

wrote:

--
Tracy Fort's necrophilia and a deceased seventy two year old cancer
victim, who happened to be my mother:

I'm not drunk. I haven't finished my first 12 pak yet.
I'll get there and when I do it's back to the cemetary.

How far north did the Katrina effect? I saw someone's mom floatin down
the mighty Mississippi!

Dug her ass right up! She was too damn ugly to have sex with before
she died. The old bag o bones fell apart in my hands! She didn't
complain about much either other than the lousy sex she got from those
foursomes with you, Mike and her husband.

love dem bones....dem bones....dem bones

rattllin' bones!

squeek...squeek...

Skeleton rides 50 cents a pop! If you can stand the smell....I wonder
is she stunk that bad in life?

She is very fresh but not that fresh!

hehe...I love dem bony women....rotten to the core.....

um...umm....good!

Please accept my apology for abusing her. I'm sorry that I did not
toss her back into the black depths that she came from. Next time,I
will be sure to take care of that. I promise that I will refill the
hole with the dirt that came out too. In addition, I will re sod the
plot at no additional charge. Let me also apologize for the milky
substance in her left eye socket, that was an unavoidable accident.
please feel free to include this post in your sig file!

You might as weel keep it up there...I love the ole boney bitch!

Dem Bones! Dem Bones! Dem Bones! I loved playing dem Bones!
Dem Bones! Dem Bones! Dem Bones!
I loved playing dem Bones! I ran my fingers uo and down dem bones and
she began to come alive!
I played dem bones like they never been played and she smiled for me all
the day.

Pork and bones....

DON'T HURT CANADA! I'll miss those nights with the ole bony lady!

The most fun I ever had!

Sporting a new moniker (GraveDigger) just for you and mommy...

He knows the inside of his mom's boney butt! hahahaha

M/Sgt. Tracy Fort 116 AMX
250 Martin Luther King Blvd.
Robins ANG,
GA. 31098-2009

http://www.qrz.com/detail/KE4ODD

This .sig file will continue until Mister Fort posts a sincere apology
to all cancer victims and their families. His refusal to do so says more
about his attitude and upbringing than any of his thoughtless and
hurtful postings in rec.radio.shortwave. He seems to be very proud of
the fact that he can buy expensive radios using the refunded deposit
money from his empty beer containers and has frequently posted the fact.
It appears he is well on his way to purchasing his next radio. Anyone
caring about his well-being should mention the good work of Alcoholics
Anonymous to him.

Old October 31st 05, 04:36 AM
Beerbelly

wrote:

m II wrote:

Mark Sherman wrote:

I found a Kenwood R-1000 on eBay so I decised to buy it.
Sorry for the dxAce/Cuhulin style multiple postings, but this may be of
interest also:
You wouldn't know sorry if it crawled up your dingle-berry encrusted ass and
decided to spend a cold hard Canucky winter, you stupid 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

He knows the inside of his mom's boney butt! hahahaha

hahahaha.....when you got thru lickin I was stickin.....

you go canucky boy!
Old October 31st 05, 04:39 AM
RHF

M II - Obviously 'you' Are Having A "Cana-Duh-ian" Moment ? ) ~ RHF

Ah the Fall is in the Air ! and the Great White North is becoming :
A Whole Lot Greater ! + Much More Whiter ! + Stone Cold North !