RadioBanter

-   -   Sony 7600GR or DX394 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/81368-sony-7600gr-dx394.html)

Meter November 5th 05 11:33 AM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

Hi
I am new to shortwave radio. I have not even got a radio yet, however I am
to purchase a used one today (Saturday 5 nov)
I have the choice of two, of a friend. they are both in mint condition,
boxed with manuals etc.
They are the Sony ICF 7600GR
and the Radio-shack DX-394
The price does not matter as they are both priced the same
Which of the two would you say would be the best buy.
I will want to listen to the shortwave radio stations, the radio amatuers on
ssb and also any utility stations I can pick up
thanks for any help
cheers
Meter

plls November 5th 05 12:27 PM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

Meter wrote:
Hi
I am new to shortwave radio. I have not even got a radio yet, however I am
to purchase a used one today (Saturday 5 nov)
I have the choice of two, of a friend. they are both in mint condition,
boxed with manuals etc.
They are the Sony ICF 7600GR
and the Radio-shack DX-394
The price does not matter as they are both priced the same
Which of the two would you say would be the best buy.
I will want to listen to the shortwave radio stations, the radio amatuers on
ssb and also any utility stations I can pick up
thanks for any help
cheers
Meter

Get the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Mine hasn't been a purchase I have regretted.

[email protected] November 5th 05 02:41 PM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

All of the reviews/reports I have read about the Sony 7600GR were very
favorable about that radio.I would say buy the Sony 7600GR radio.
cuhulin

[email protected] November 5th 05 04:31 PM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

Sony 7600GR

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

Mark Vosmeier November 5th 05 05:16 PM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

The 7600's 'AM sync' will be a feature that you would enjoy. It does
reduce the audio distortion caused by 'selective fading,' and it also
effectively reduces adjacent channel 'splatter'... once you get the
hang of using it.

Here are a couple of groups to join for ongoing info regarding the 7600
(both before or after you buy):

Here is a website that details everything you'd want to know about the
history of all the 7600 series, including modifications for the 7600GR:

http://stephan.win31.de/sony7600.htm

Enjoy the hobby!

Mark / N9IWF

RHF November 5th 05 07:47 PM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

Meter,

If you are strictly interested in Listening to Hams on SSB then get
the Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack Dx-398.

If your are a Radio Program Listener (International Shortwave Radio)
then get the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio.

IMHO - The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is the "Better Overall"
'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio of the two.

hey - its just an opinion ~ RHF

Meter November 6th 05 11:02 AM

Sony 7600GR or DX394

Thanks everyone, I opted for the Sony, I am to give it a try out today, it
looks a very nice radio
thanks again
Meter