RadioBanter

-   -   Odd signal meter phenomenon (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/82729-re-odd-signal-meter-phenomenon.html)

[email protected] November 24th 05 03:03 PM

Odd signal meter phenomenon

The power supply is far away and it never really changed location. The
only thing that makes a difference is the HF-150 itself. I don't know
that magnetism is at the root of it...I just don't know how else to
explain it.

Just for the heck of it, I situated my 7030+ just to the left of the
R8B to see if I could reproduce the effect, but no dice. Whatever the
cause is, it's specific to the 150.

Steve

[email protected] November 24th 05 03:43 PM

Odd signal meter phenomenon

Well,it wasen't sunspot activity anyway or Casper the Ghost.Glad you
solved the signal meter problem.
cuhulin

David November 24th 05 06:00 PM

On 24 Nov 2005 07:03:39 -0800, wrote:

The power supply is far away and it never really changed location. The
only thing that makes a difference is the HF-150 itself. I don't know
that magnetism is at the root of it...I just don't know how else to
explain it.

Just for the heck of it, I situated my 7030+ just to the left of the
R8B to see if I could reproduce the effect, but no dice. Whatever the
cause is, it's specific to the 150.

Steve

Is there a lot of static electricity about? You do use a humidifier
in the Winter, don't you?

[email protected] November 24th 05 06:17 PM

Odd signal meter phenomenon

No, I don't (probably should). Also noticed that this happens when the
150 is on battery power. You can set it beside the R8B and watch the
signal meter drop.

[email protected] November 24th 05 09:05 PM

Odd signal meter phenomenon

It may be the magnet in the HF-150's speaker. If I remember correctly,
it's a pretty hefty magnet for a speaker that size.

Frank

[email protected] November 25th 05 02:38 AM

Odd signal meter phenomenon

Yeah, that must be the explanation. And I'm glad I don't have to
replace the signal meter!

Steve