RadioBanter

-   -   Anybody run (or know of) Harris 590 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/83225-anybody-run-know-harris-590-a.html)

[email protected] November 30th 05 05:55 PM

Anybody run (or know of) Harris 590

How does the Harris 590A radio stack up? Reason I ask is because the
guy I bought my R8B from has one for sale.

Just say NEO!

73
Bob
N9NEO

David November 30th 05 07:24 PM

On 30 Nov 2005 09:55:32 -0800, wrote:

How does the Harris 590A radio stack up? Reason I ask is because the
guy I bought my R8B from has one for sale.

Just say NEO!

73
Bob
N9NEO

I hear good things about its raw performance. Lacks the usual
semi-pro stuff like memory scanning and 3rd party software
compatibility. If you can get parts, go for it.

John S. November 30th 05 07:50 PM

wrote:
How does the Harris 590A radio stack up? Reason I ask is because the
guy I bought my R8B from has one for sale.

Just say NEO!

73
Bob
N9NEO

At 40 pounds it is no lightweight. Hopefully it is reconditioned
surplus or very cheap unrecondtioned surplus.

How much are they asking.

[email protected] December 1st 05 05:53 PM

Anybody run (or know of) Harris 590

I think he said he wanted about 1400 bucks.

If I wanted it I would for sure have to sell my Drake R8B or my Harley
Softail - and that ain't gonna happen. I don't know (I actually doubt)
if the Harris is a better unit than the Drake, although my friend said
it was his favorite radio. So there ya go and whaddayathink?

David December 1st 05 06:24 PM

On 1 Dec 2005 09:53:24 -0800, wrote:

I think he said he wanted about 1400 bucks.

If I wanted it I would for sure have to sell my Drake R8B or my Harley
Softail - and that ain't gonna happen. I don't know (I actually doubt)
if the Harris is a better unit than the Drake, although my friend said
it was his favorite radio. So there ya go and whaddayathink?

Do you have a military fetish?

[email protected] December 1st 05 06:31 PM

Anybody run (or know of) Harris 590

No!

Four years in the USN cured me of any potential military fetishes.

I'm a tin can sailor outta Pearl.

73
Bob

John S. December 2nd 05 12:10 AM

wrote:
I think he said he wanted about 1400 bucks.

If I wanted it I would for sure have to sell my Drake R8B or my Harley
Softail - and that ain't gonna happen. I don't know (I actually doubt)
if the Harris is a better unit than the Drake, although my friend said
it was his favorite radio. So there ya go and whaddayathink?

If it were me...I would not look at a pro grade receiver unless it was
really cheap. Chances are it has had the living xxxx run out of it
when in use by the original owner.
Also, remember that it was not designed for the casual SWL who likes a
lot of memories and features built into a small lightweight high
performance box. The Drake is at least all of that and more. The
Harris is a 40 pound rack mount receiver designed for lab work and
field monitoring.

If you set the two receivers side-by-side and ran A/B tests with the
same antenna I'd bet money you will hear the same stations on both.

[email protected] December 3rd 05 02:59 AM

Anybody run (or know of) Harris 590

You betcha!

I'll keep my Drake.

73