RadioBanter

-   -   Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/83295-target-areas-azimuth-etc.html)

Rob P December 1st 05 07:56 AM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".

One said "10-13"

Also, does "Azimuth" tell you where they are beaming their antenna to?

This one said 75.0 & 100.0. How do you interpret that?

Thanks for your help!

Doug Smith W9WI December 1st 05 02:35 PM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

Rob P wrote:
I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".

One said "10-13"

The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has divided the world
into geographic zones for various reasons.

The "Target Areas" of U.S. international broadcasters are ITU zones.

Zones 10-13 are Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and northern
South America.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Rob P December 1st 05 07:46 PM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

Also, does "Azimuth" tell you where they are beaming their antenna to?

This one said 75.0 & 100.0. How do you interpret that?

Azimuth is the heading the energy is directed in.

So which direction would an azimuth 75.0 & 100.0 indicate from California?

What would be an azimuth of 0.00?

Thanks for your help!

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 02:56:29 -0500, "Rob P"
wrote:

I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".

One said "10-13"

Also, does "Azimuth" tell you where they are beaming their antenna to?

This one said 75.0 & 100.0. How do you interpret that?

Thanks for your help!

Azimuth is the heading the energy is directed in. Area 10-13 is the
targeted region.

Mark Zenier December 1st 05 08:31 PM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

In article ,
Rob P wrote:
I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".

One said "10-13"

Get a hold of the international broadcast regulations. (www.fcc.gov, or
access.gpo.gov and look for the National Archives web pages and look for
"Code of Federal Regulation"). Last I knew, this would be "47 CFR Part
73 Subpart F". One page of this is a world map with the target regions.

dig,dig...

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/47cfr73_04.html
and download the .pdf for 73.703

Also, does "Azimuth" tell you where they are beaming their antenna to?

This one said 75.0 & 100.0. How do you interpret that?

The map, (and another poster), indicates those are Central and South
America. But using 0=North, 90=East doesnt' make sense unless the
transmitter is out in the Pacific somewhere. There should be a
latitude/longitude in the database, too, that should give a doublecheck.

Mark Zenier

Yodar December 2nd 05 01:07 AM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Rob P wrote:

I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".

One said "10-13"

The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has divided the world
into geographic zones for various reasons.

The "Target Areas" of U.S. international broadcasters are ITU zones.

Zones 10-13 are Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and northern
South America.

HERE'S ALL OF 'EM

http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/terrestrial...oad-ciraf2.gif

yodar

David December 3rd 05 01:02 AM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:31:43 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:

In article ,
Rob P wrote:
[...]

Alaska? It would blanket all of North America.

Mark Zenier December 3rd 05 06:02 PM

Target Areas, Azimuth, etc...?

In article ,
David wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:31:43 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:
In article ,
Rob P wrote:
I was looking thru the FCC database and came across listings for "Target
Area".
One said "10-13"

Also, does "Azimuth" tell you where they are beaming their antenna to?

This one said 75.0 & 100.0. How do you interpret that?

The map, (and another poster), indicates those are Central and South
America. But using 0=North, 90=East doesnt' make sense unless the
transmitter is out in the Pacific somewhere. There should be a
latitude/longitude in the database, too, that should give a doublecheck.

Alaska? It would blanket all of North America.

But 75 degrees out of Alaska would aim at Norway, not Mexico or Brazil.
The OP didn't tell us the call letters. But Hawaii or Guam would make
more sense.

Mark Zenier