Old December 2nd 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Ever heard your letter read on air?

So... has anyone here ever heard read on air a letter that he/she sent
in to a shortwave broadcaster? You know, on one of those Mail Call
type programs... It has never happened for me, although once upon a
time (about a decade and a half back) I used to send in reception
reports occasionally.

If you've not ever heard your own letter read on air, have you ever
heard read the letter of someone whom you know? For instance, were you
ever listening to, say, Radio Canada Int'l when they suddenly
announced, "and our good friend ____ ____ in the U.S. writes, 'Hello my
Canadian friends, I listen to your programming quite regularly for its
refreshing content and....' " (fill in the blank, of course, with the
name of the someone you know).

Ever happened? Not for me, but maybe I just don't listen to these
letter programs regularly enough.

junius

Old December 2nd 05, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen

Way back when, early- to mid-70's, I had letters read on Charles Gursky
and Lynn Henderson's Sunday AM show on Radio Canada International (a
reception report with additional friendly notes); on Keith Glover's
Radio Australia Sunday AM mailbag show (Keith was a great guy, God rest
his soul); and on His & Hers, Jerry and Dody Cowan's Radio Nederland
program on Wednesday nights IIRC (this last was my all-time favorite
radio show on SW, of a variety which really isn't around any more).

In fact, for a brief period Radio Canada had a gimmicky program
(probably on the Gursky and Henderson segment) where, if you asked,
they'd call you on the phone and let you ask a question about Canada on
the air - recorded, not live. I did this once, and it was a silly
thrill to hear my own voice on 5970 kHz. I lament that I forget what
the question was...but if I remember it, I'll let y'all know.

I remember being shocked once when, on their program, Charles and Lynn
were discussing a letter about accumulating stuff in one's household,
and Charles used the phrase "damnedest collection" on the air - the
first time I'd heard language that was so colloquial on the broadcast
medium. Of course, now many people get upset if they don't hear at
least one four-letter word every minute or so...

It seems like the best opportunities these days is either on Voice of
Russia or Radio Japan - the Japanese letter people just seem so excited
whenever they read a letter, it's very cute...

Bruce Jensen

Old December 2nd 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"bpnjensen" wrote:

Way back when, early- to mid-70's, I had letters read on Charles Gursky
and Lynn Henderson's Sunday AM show on Radio Canada International (a
reception report with additional friendly notes); on Keith Glover's
Radio Australia Sunday AM mailbag show (Keith was a great guy, God rest
his soul); and on His & Hers, Jerry and Dody Cowan's Radio Nederland
program on Wednesday nights IIRC (this last was my all-time favorite
radio show on SW, of a variety which really isn't around any more).

I never have had a letter read on the air but I think what you wrote
above is key if that is your objective, which is to add commentary about
the programming. Stating what you heard on their station and liked about
it and add some information about yourself such as your listening habits
creates a reason for them to read it on the air. Strive to be personable
instead of just providing a reception report. Give them your emotional
and intellectual reactions to the programming.

[...]

Radio Japan still does the phone call interview that is broadcasted. I
don't know if it's live or recorded. I expect it's recorded.

I think you just email them with your phone number and time to call you
back. You would have to write to the call in program address. Be sure to
pick a normal wake time in Japan.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 2nd 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Heyyyy,,, I needs to go check out my blonde 37 year blonde auld woman
next door,,, she said she is going back to her auld home place in
Natchez,Mississippi again this weekend.That means her pretty 30 year
auld bruntte live in girlfriend (they are not gay) will want me to sit
with her over there next door again this weekend again.oooo la la.
cuhulin

Old December 2nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamonde,,, hows the water on Ventura Beach? Taint my fault this
Shortwave group tarned into a politics page.Tell all them pretty wimmins
over there in Californiaaa,old Hansom Larry Loves them.
Lighten up,Dude.
cuhulin (Larry)

Old December 2nd 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

junius wrote:

So... has anyone here ever heard read on air a letter that he/she sent
in to a shortwave broadcaster?

Yes. Several times.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 2nd 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 2 Dec 2005 08:02:31 -0800, "junius" wrote:

[...]

Yes. On Radio Australia.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What d..n letter? If I sent you a letter,,, it would Burn your eardrums
OUT!!!
cuhulin

Old December 3rd 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Old December 3rd 05, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cmdr Buzz Corey

junius wrote:
[...]

Back in the 1950's I often listened to Radio Moscow with my Knightkit
Space Spanner. They solicited letters from SW listners, so I wrote. Sure
enough, late one night I was listening and they read my letter.