RadioBanter

-   -   Lightning Induced Voltage Transients Into An Antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/83789-re-lightning-induced-voltage-transients-into-antenna.html)

Telamon December 6th 05 11:34 PM

Lightning Induced Voltage Transients Into An Antenna

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

We get a lot of lightning strikes around here, and was wondering
about this:

Presently have a receive-only random length wire running around the
inside of my attic.

Guess I'm not really too worried about "direct" lightning strikes; if
there is one I imagine I have a lot more to worry about than the
radio.

But, does the roof provide any protection from nearby lightning
strikes inducing a high transient voltage into the indoor attic
antenna wire, as compared to if I had the wire antenna strung outside
the house ? Again, from an induced voltage standpoint concern.

Or, is the fact that it is indoors really meaningless ?

Nearby lightning can induce large voltages on an antenna and your single
wire antenna is a good candidate. You don't even need a nearby strike to
possibly degrade the front end of your radio. Either disconnect the wire
from the radio anytime lightning is in the area or get a voltage clamp
on the lead-in.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California