Old December 16th 05, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New User - New Receiver - Reception Questions

You can hear keyboard clicks too with a radio if the radio volume is
turned up enough and if the radio is near your keyboard.
cuhulin

Old December 16th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article .com,
wrote:
Progress!

Thanks go to Telamon for posting a timely message. I grabbed my radio
and went out into the park. Not hard to do, as I live essentially in
one. I walked between 50 and 100 yards into the middle of the park,
sat down on a bench and fired up the radio. I tooled around the 49m
band as Telamon suggested and I'm pleased to report that the results
were extremely encouraging. Not sure why I wasn't having better
results the other night when I was miles away from nowhere...

It's called "space weather". It's been pretty dreadful for the last
week or so and is now much better. For a rather cryptic introduction
listen to WWV at 18 minutes past the hour (45 past for WWVH in Hawaii).

Mark Zenier

Old December 16th 05, 09:27 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Due to the return policy of the company it was ordered from (universal
radio) I need to decide quickly if I'll be returning/exchanging it.
The question that comes up is that, if I do exchange it, would I be
better off upgrading to a different radio? Aesthetic appeal aside, the
Eton E1 seems to have good reviews everywhere. But is the difference
in sensitivity enough to justify the extra money?
Peter:
Regarding the E1, I would recommend paying careful attention to the portability aspect. For me, price was the main consideration when buying my first receiver (Kaito 1102) but the portability turned out to be a great advantage.

Have you listened to the radio in the AM and FM bands? How does it sound there? How does it compare to other AM / FM radios? I'm asking to help determine if the noise reception is specific to shortwave or if it affects the radio as a whole.

If you tune the radio to a weak/noisy shortwave broadcast, are there reception differences when you're holding onto the radio compared to when you're not touching it?

My hunch is that upgrading to a more powerful radio would not provide dramatically clearer reception. If you're just trying to improve shortwave reception, that's probably not a wise investment.

The best indicator would be if you could get your hands on a radio known to receive strong broadcasts in your area and do a side-by-side test.

Failing that, if you can make a risk-free exchange with Universal Radio, try a different radio. The Kaito 1103 gets excellent reviews (see radiointel.com for a review and a mention in Phil's Portable Radio Guide 2005). A radio like that should give you clear reception once you have minimized interference sources.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old December 16th 05, 09:33 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telamon
5975 should have had the BBC on it and it should have been good reception.
This is not necessarily true. Telamon and I are both in California, where we manage to pick up the BBC, but the BBC broadcast is not actually intended for North America. It's actually a broadcast to Latin America. You can learn more about this on primetimeshortwave.com and savebbc.org.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/

Old December 17th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

weatherall wrote:
Have you listened to the radio in the AM and FM bands? How does it
sound there? How does it compare to other AM / FM radios? I'm asking
to help determine if the noise reception is specific to shortwave or if
it affects the radio as a whole.

It definately seems as if the problem is isolated to the shortwave
bands, as both the AM and FM come in loud and clear, and I daresay even
affords better reception than the other AM/FM radios in my house.

If you tune the radio to a weak/noisy shortwave broadcast, are there
reception differences when you're holding onto the radio compared to
when you're not touching it?

Only insofar as the quality of static changes. ;-)

The best indicator would be if you could get your hands on a radio
known to receive strong broadcasts in your area and do a side-by-side
test.

Unfortunately not a possibility. I also loved the recommendation of
buying another YB 400PE and putting them side-by-side, but
unfortunately I don't have any local retailers. Seems that all the
standard electronics chains stop just short of the YB 400.

Failing that, if you can make a risk-free exchange with Universal
Radio, try a different radio.

I'm going to have them bench test the current radio. Hopefully they'll
turn up a problem with it, for if they don't god only knows what the
issue is.

Last night I tried 20+ feet of long wire antenna out the window on all
of the time signals frequencies. Not a single one came in, save the
weak one from Canada on 3330. Most importantly, there was no change in
reception whatsoever between using the long wire and not. That is, in
my opinion, indicative of something, as most people seem to agree that
20+ feet should create a decided change in reception. Moreover, most
everyone seems to agree that the US time broadcasts - from Colorado
with significant power - should be received without issue. I don't get
them at all. Not even a hint of a weak reception. Just static.

On another note... What I'm about to say shouldn't impact the previous
discussions about reception and my radio, as I've tried numerous tests
in remote locations as well, but I do have a question about the
possibility of my building itself being used as an antenna.

I live in a rather curious building - an old converted railroad
warehouse. To the best of my knowledge, and given the creaks in the
floor ;-), most of the internal construction is wood - big exposed
beams and all. The outside, however, looks like a massive (quite
unattractive actually, but I like to say "eclectic") tin can. It is
sided all around, from top to bottom (three floors), but
aluminum-looking siding, raw color and all. I saw mention in another
thread of someone attaching a long wire antenna to a rain gutter. I
wonder, would attaching a long wire to my siding render the entire
building into an antenna? I know nothing about the propagation of
waves over differing materials, so I'm uncertain as to whether or not
this would be effective, or perhaps even have a negative impact.

-P

Old December 18th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
GYT

Pete:

If the entire building exterior is coated with aluminum this could explain
the reception problem but you said you have taken the radio outside and also
strung up a 20 foot antenna outside with little or no positive results. In
my opinion the radio is defective. Contact Universal ASAP.

Have you thought about the Sony 7600 instead? It is rated somewhat better
than the Yacht Boy 400 and can't be more than $20-$30 more. I would pay that
much more just for the sync detector the Sony has.

One other thing to keep in mind, you have about $130 in the YB 400 already.
That's a good step forward toward getting a radio in the $500 range if you
think you are going to get into this pretty seriously. If nothing else I
would consider getting the Sony 7600 for just a little bit more money.

I hope this helps.