RadioBanter

-   -   Sony icf sw7600g (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/84657-sony-icf-sw7600g.html)

paradox December 20th 05 07:09 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

hello all-
I am a firsttime shortwave radio buyer and was wondering if this is a good
radio, i've heard a lot of good stuff about the sony radios...
thanks for any help

GYT December 20th 05 07:22 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

Save yourself a lot of research and headaches. Order one off of Amazon with
free shipping for $129. The best radio in that price rang plus the only one
in that price range with a sync detector.

paradox December 20th 05 07:45 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

Thank you!
also I have seen the sw7600g and also the sw7600gr so... what is the
difference in these 2 radios?
thanks
--Mike

junius December 20th 05 07:54 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

The Sony ICF-SW7600G ( http://www.dxing.com/rx/icfsw760.htm ) is indeed
a fine compact portable shortwave radio. Sony stopped producing this
model in 2001 (I believe) when it was replaced by the ICF-SW7600GR.
The '7600GR is essentially the same radio as the '7600G feature-wise
and performance-wise, with the exception of two points: The '7600GR
has a variable attenuator and has 100 or 102 memories (as compared to
the 12 on the '7600G).

I've read these posts about the great deal that Amazon has on the
'7600GR, but looking on their website, I didn't find the free shipping
deal. While I found the listing for the '7600GR, I don't see that it's
available from Amazon directly (although it seems some Amazon
marketplace merchants have new and used units available):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=pc&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3-1869565?s=pc

One merchant, Capital Electronics, does have the product available for
$128, but free shipping isn't indicated. Also, the merchant's ratings
are so spectacular. Still, if you're looking to save a some dough and
don't mind taking a chance...

One note on buying electronics through Amazon: Often electronic goods
sold on Amazon.com are through J&R Music World, and quite often the
shipping charge is a bit higher when ordering a product from J&R
through Amazon than if you were to order from J&R directly. Just
something to keep in mind, although J&R isn't offering the '7600GR
through Amazon.

J&R lists the ICF-SW7600GR for $149.99 with free shipping:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439

....although a note on that page reads as follows:

To purchase this product, please visit our Retail Stores (click here
for hours and directions). You may also call our Toll Free Number
(800-806-1115) to speak to one of our knowledgeable sales associates
for up-to-the-minute pricing, information and availability. This item
is not available through our website at this time.

junius

GYT December 20th 05 07:59 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

The 7600Gr is the latest version...

Might I also suggest the Sony AN-LP1 Loop Antenna about $90
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html

or if you're on a budget a DEGEN DE31 Loop Antenna about $30
http://cgi.ebay.com/Degen-DE31-Activ...QQcmdZViewItem

A review comparing these two antennas:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende31.htm

If you're really on a budget, Some random wire and a plug from radio
shack...less than $10.

The Amazon deal I told you about is a fantastic deal! $129 and free
shipping!

GYT December 20th 05 08:05 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

They had free shipping the other day but I did not see it when I looked just
now. I did see the radio listed for $128 though. They offer free shipping
quite often so look closely for it or wait until they offer it again.
Shipping shouldn't be much though if you have to pay for it.

junius December 20th 05 08:14 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

/
One merchant, Capital Electronics, does have the product available for
$128, but free shipping isn't indicated. Also, the merchant's ratings
are so spectacular. Still, if you're looking to save a some dough and
don't mind taking a chance...

correction: Amazon mktplace merchant Capital Electonics ratings are
NOT so spectacular: 15% neg; 5% neutral

paradox December 20th 05 09:08 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

Well thank you all for your help!
I found a used sw7600g for 57 and I went with that I didn't find any bad
reviews of it and as a starting out rig I think it should work well :)
anyone have any recommendations for good swl websites?
--Mike

junius December 20th 05 09:45 PM

Sony icf sw7600g

Well, I think you'll be quite pleased with the 'SW7600G. It's a very
nice set, and I've had some great times with it when traveling about.
As GYT had mentioned, the Sony AN-LP1 antenna is a nice match for the
'SW7600G. Sony provided a wind-up passive wire antenna with the
'SW7600G. If that wasn't included when you bought, Sangean makes a
similar product. A simple wind-up passive antenna of this kind can
yield some pleasing results, if you're not ready to plunge for a
pricier antenna at the moment:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html

A number of SWL resources on the web:

http://www.dxing.com/

http://www.radiointel.com

== you might find some interesting stuff in looking through the links
provided on radiointel's website: http://www.radiointel.com/ref.htm

An excellent, frequently updated source for shortwave broadcast
schedules:

http://www.eibi.de.vu/

A great site for schedules of English language broadcasts:

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

An excellent annually published print guide to shortwave, replete with
schedules and radio reviews, is Passport to World Band Radio:

http://www.passband.com/

....Also available through http://www.amazon.com/

Enjoy your new radio!

junius