RadioBanter

-   -   Passport to Worldband Radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/85867-re-passport-worldband-radio.html)

[email protected] January 6th 06 04:59 PM

Passport to Worldband Radio

wrote:
Hello everyone,
I buy the above book, quite useful it is too.

I like it, though I don't trust its reviews the way I once did.

There are one or two
things about it which I find hard to fathom. Why do they go on so much
about synchronous detector features on receivers? I own a dozen or so
receivers, some with and some without. The ones without the SD are not
that much more useful than a receiver with it. For example, my
ATS909/DX398 does not have it but my Sony SW7600GR does. For me, the
ATS is still, marginally a better receiver for my needs. My Sony SW77
does not really seem to be much better when the SD is on and on my AOR
7030, well the receiver is that good with a good antenna that I never
ever need it. With my Sat'800 it's also not that useful although on
occassions it has helped.

I find that a sync detector makes a big difference.

My other bug bear is that they plugged and plugged the Sat'800 when it
first came out and it was a pretty poor thing in my book. Much better
now and I would not sell mine but in the beginning they seemed blind to
it's quality control.

I don't care for the 800 myself. I tried not one but two of them over
the years, and ended selling both of them. I don't like selling radios,
either. If I buy a radio, it's because I plan to own it and use it for
a long, long time!