RadioBanter

-   -   Newbie help! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/85976-newbie-help.html)

Rob Shlogman January 8th 06 06:40 PM

Newbie help!

I love shortwave but I fell off my roof trying to put up anttenna. So I have
to wait till my leg gets better before I can put up a good one. I the
meantime I want to use a small portable type. what is a good one? Thank you.

Rob

Sanjaya January 8th 06 07:19 PM

Newbie help!

"Rob Shlogman" wrote in message ...
I love shortwave but I fell off my roof trying to put up anttenna. So I have
to wait till my leg gets better before I can put up a good one. I the
meantime I want to use a small portable type. what is a good one? Thank you.

Rob

Degen DE1103 available on eBay, or the Kaito version 1103.
Great performance and lower cost than the excellent Sony 7600GR

Rob Shlogman January 8th 06 08:23 PM

Newbie help!

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Rob Shlogman" wrote in message
I love shortwave but I fell off my roof trying to put up anttenna. So I
have
to wait till my leg gets better before I can put up a good one. I the
meantime I want to use a small portable type. what is a good one? Thank
you.

Rob

Degen DE1103 available on eBay, or the Kaito version 1103.
Great performance and lower cost than the excellent Sony 7600GR

I have a radio. I meant a potable antenna.

Rob

Sanjaya January 8th 06 08:43 PM

Newbie help!

"Rob Shlogman" wrote in message ...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Rob Shlogman" wrote in message
I love shortwave but I fell off my roof trying to put up anttenna. So I
have
to wait till my leg gets better before I can put up a good one. I the
meantime I want to use a small portable type. what is a good one? Thank
you.

Rob

Degen DE1103 available on eBay, or the Kaito version 1103.
Great performance and lower cost than the excellent Sony 7600GR

I have a radio. I meant a potable antenna.

Rob

Oops... sorry.

And sorry you hurt your leg.

The Sangean ANT-60 is a good little reel up wire antenna. Can be clipped to the telescoping whip of
a portable
SW, or use a 1/8 inch antenna jack if the portable radio is so equipped. Amazon.com has a good price
on the ANT-60

Take care and get well soon.

Charly January 8th 06 09:08 PM

Newbie help!

Rob Shlogman wrote:
I have a radio. I meant a portable antenna.

Hello Rob,

I whish your leg will be healed asap...

About the antenna, you have the well-known Sony AN-LP1, but expensive. there is
a cheaper one, although said to be a bit less sensitive : Degen DE31 or Kaito
KA31 (same hardware, DEGEN is the chinese make, KAITO is the exportation make).
See review here : http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende31.htm

The Degen can be found on eBay for 16$90 + shipping (from Hong-Kong). You can
also go to some american web site such as Radios4you.com (I don't have any
interest with them, I'm just a customer, and they seam to propose the cheapest
prices on the US web : $34.95 + $7.05 shipping). They resell the KAITO radios
and accessories in the US, quite quicky (I received my antenna in 3 days), with
American waranty and manual.

No, don't ask me : I did not try the antenna yet : I'm currently traveling far
away and the antenna is in the US in my sister's home.

Charly

[email protected] January 8th 06 09:42 PM

Newbie help!

In April of 2004,I slipped off my ladder in my back yard and fractured
the two big bones in my left wrist.Get a few feet of wire and wrap a few
inches around the antenna or connect to the antenna jack of your radio
(if it has one) and tape or pin the other end of the wire up to a
window.That should help some.Be extra carefull up there on that roof and
ladder next time.
cuhulin

RHF January 9th 06 08:59 AM

Newbie help!

RS,

Degen DE31 'portable' Shortwave "Active" Loop Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e4dfeb30baf8d8

DE31 Active Loop Antenna - A Mini Review.
- by - Jim Hackett
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...873f2ebb2cba8d

Degen DE31-verses- Sony ANLP-1
Active Shortwave Loop Antennas
- by - Jay Allen
http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende31.htm

Old Radio Shack Amplified Shortwave Antenna
- = V = -
New Degen DE31 In-Door Shortwave Active Loop Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...1dac17b78cc223

WHAT ABOUT - AN AROUND-THE-ROOM {CEILING LEVEL}
HORIZONTAL [FLAT] LOOP ANTENNA :
Why not consider a simple Around-the-Room {Ceiling Level}
Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...b9615f2091e97b
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...498c52932af49a
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e6413e650665d6
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d50254537096a1
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...176c7c101db4ae

Or - A 'smaller' Vertical Coax Cable Loop Antenna
is another opinion to consider for an In-Door Antenna.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...03fed7472a9e53

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bbc752371bebcc

The In-the-Attic Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna
- Just may be the better choice to fill the available space.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f4e10e7df8249c
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...78920c10cb5cc9

iane ~ RHF