RadioBanter

-   -   Drake R8 SN? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/86637-drake-r8-sn.html)

DeWayne January 17th 06 10:05 PM

Drake R8 SN?

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

dxAce January 17th 06 10:19 PM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow this
format:

The first digit in the serial number represents the year, 9 = 1999, 0 = 2000, 1
= 2001, etc. The second digit is a letter and represents the month, A = January,
B = February, C = March, etc. The next four numbers represent the model number.
The last four digits are the unique serial number to that particular unit.

My current R8 is 2C12900037

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DeWayne January 17th 06 10:28 PM

Drake R8 SN?

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

dxAce January 17th 06 10:34 PM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was the
model change in the serial number.

DeWayne January 17th 06 10:40 PM

Drake R8 SN?

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they
follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Yeah, I asked him to check it again. Thanks!

DeWayne January 17th 06 10:41 PM

Drake R8 SN?

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Well he just checked it again and said that's exactly what is on the radio.

dxAce January 17th 06 10:46 PM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Well he just checked it again and said that's exactly what is on the radio.

Hmmmmmmm.... Never seen one like that.

?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce January 17th 06 10:53 PM

Drake R8 SN?

Ken Knapp wrote:

Maybe it's an 'i'. That would make the mfg date sept. 1991?

Could be, but the puzzlement is that the model number (1290) is not in there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DeWayne January 17th 06 11:04 PM

Drake R8 SN?

"dxAce" wrote in message

Ken Knapp wrote:

Maybe it's an 'i'. That would make the mfg date sept. 1991?

Could be, but the puzzlement is that the model number (1290) is not in
there.

Maybe the early R8's didn't have the 1290?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce January 17th 06 11:05 PM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Ken Knapp wrote:

Maybe it's an 'i'. That would make the mfg date sept. 1991?

Could be, but the puzzlement is that the model number (1290) is not in
there.

Maybe the early R8's didn't have the 1290?

Read my previous post.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DeWayne January 18th 06 08:00 PM

Drake R8 SN?

"DeWayne" wrote in message
.. .

"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Why not just call Drake and find out the answer?

Bill Frost at Drake says it's GOOD! : )

dxAce January 18th 06 08:24 PM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message
.. .

"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Why not just call Drake and find out the answer?

Bill Frost at Drake says it's GOOD! : )

What did he say about the fact that the model number isn't in the serial number?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DeWayne January 18th 06 11:58 PM

Drake R8 SN?

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message
.. .

"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Why not just call Drake and find out the answer?

Bill Frost at Drake says it's GOOD! : )

What did he say about the fact that the model number isn't in the serial
number?

Bill Frost said:

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the e-mail. Yes, that is a good serial number for an early R-8
receiver.

Regards,

Bill Frost
Service Manager

dxAce
Michigan
USA

DeWayne January 19th 06 12:04 AM

Drake R8 SN?

Anyone know if there were any problems with the early Drake R8's?

m II January 19th 06 02:39 AM

Drake R8 SN?

dxAce wrote:

DeWayne wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message
.. .
"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Why not just call Drake and find out the answer?

Bill Frost at Drake says it's GOOD! : )

What did he say about the fact that the model number isn't in the serial number?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Weren't you calling someone a 'poseur' earlier this year? Funny how
these things come back to bite you in what you laugh off countless times
a day.

We're still praying for your salvation.

mike

dxAce January 19th 06 03:21 AM

Drake R8 SN?

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

DeWayne wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message
.. .
"SeeingEyeDog" wrote in message
Why not just call Drake and find out the answer?
Bill Frost at Drake says it's GOOD! : )

What did he say about the fact that the model number isn't in the serial number?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Weren't you calling someone a 'poseur' earlier this year? Funny how
these things come back to bite you in what you laugh off countless times
a day.

We're still praying for your salvation.

Translation: I'm a dumbass Canuck and I haven't a clue as to what I'm saying, but by
golly, the fact that I'm behind the Maple Leaf Curtain gives me the right to say it.

You go, boy!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HFguy January 19th 06 08:55 AM

Drake R8 SN?

DeWayne wrote:
Anyone know if there were any problems with the early Drake R8's?

I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's lock
when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for Drake to
work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It was worth the
wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

clifto January 19th 06 08:52 PM

Drake R8 SN?

HFguy wrote:
I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's lock
when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for Drake to
work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It was worth the
wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

Any idea what they did to the detector to make it better?

dxAce January 19th 06 10:30 PM

Drake R8 SN?

Telamon wrote:

In article muIzf.1561$Ym3.809@trndny09, HFguy
wrote:

DeWayne wrote:
Anyone know if there were any problems with the early Drake R8's?

I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's lock
when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for Drake to
work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It was worth the
wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

I owned one of the first R8's and I don't recall it loosing lock on
signal fades as being a problem.

Never been a problem here.

One annoying thing I do remember it doing was when the transmitter would
momentarily switch off altogether and then back on (example BBC) the
lock time and resulting whine would last many seconds due to the
reacquiring lock time of the sync detector. Switching the sync off then
on would often cause the radio re-lock more quickly (immediately) than
waiting for it to do it on its own. Very annoying when you are not right
in front of the radio to switch the sync off then back on.

Yep!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Telamon January 19th 06 10:36 PM

Drake R8 SN?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Brian Denley January 20th 06 03:48 AM

Drake R8 SN?

clifto wrote:
HFguy wrote:
I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's
lock when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for
Drake to work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It
was worth the wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

Any idea what they did to the detector to make it better?

It was completely redesigned. The original was a double sided sync detector
and was used on the R8, the R8A and the older SW8. Drake came out with an
excellent sideband selectable sync detector circuit that debuted first on
the newer SW8 (1996) and then on the R8B and the SW2 (as I recall). It's
also used on the Sat800 (which is, after all, a repackaged SW8).

--
Brian Denley