Old January 17th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

Default Drake R8 SN?

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Old January 17th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow this
format:

The first digit in the serial number represents the year, 9 = 1999, 0 = 2000, 1
= 2001, etc. The second digit is a letter and represents the month, A = January,
B = February, C = March, etc. The next four numbers represent the model number.
The last four digits are the unique serial number to that particular unit.

My current R8 is 2C12900037

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 17th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

Old January 17th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

DeWayne wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was the
model change in the serial number.

Old January 17th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

DeWayne wrote:

Anyone know when this R8 was made? SN 11100012

Looks like 1991.

Are you sure that second digit isn't a letter? Also, that doesn't look
like a
proper Drake serial number. I've had a few (from 1991 on) and they
follow
this
format:

I copied and pasted the SN from the guy who has it for sale.

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Yeah, I asked him to check it again. Thanks!

Old January 17th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Well he just checked it again and said that's exactly what is on the radio.

Old January 17th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

DeWayne wrote:

Guess I'd have him check it again, as it doesn't look right. I've had one
of the
first off the assembly line and they follow the format I explained. The
same
format was continued with the R8A and R8B. Only change with those two was
the
model change in the serial number.

Well he just checked it again and said that's exactly what is on the radio.

Hmmmmmmm.... Never seen one like that.

?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 17th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Ken Knapp wrote:

Maybe it's an 'i'. That would make the mfg date sept. 1991?

Could be, but the puzzlement is that the model number (1290) is not in there.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 18th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

"dxAce" wrote in message

Ken Knapp wrote:

Maybe it's an 'i'. That would make the mfg date sept. 1991?

Could be, but the puzzlement is that the model number (1290) is not in
there.

Maybe the early R8's didn't have the 1290?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Eton E1 Recall dxAce Shortwave 44 January 14th 06 02:49 PM
ABOUT - The RL Drake R8 - R8A - R8B Communication Receivers RHF Shortwave 3 December 15th 05 02:33 AM
The Eton 'Elite' E1 XM Radio "Genealogy" Drake SW1 > SW2 > SW8 > GS800M > E1 XM RHF Shortwave 1 January 7th 05 04:16 AM
FA - R. L. Drake SW8 'portable' World Band Shortwave Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 7 January 4th 05 04:00 AM
FA Lots of Drake Gear Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 17th 04 07:16 AM