RadioBanter

-   -   WWV receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/87035-wwv-receiver.html)

Tobin Fricke January 23rd 06 04:39 PM

WWV receiver

As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in the
resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at such
"round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

thank you,
Tobin
--
http://web.pas.rochester.edu/~tobin/

Tim Wescott January 23rd 06 04:53 PM

WWV receiver

Tobin Fricke wrote:
As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in
the resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at
such "round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

thank you,
Tobin
--
http://web.pas.rochester.edu/~tobin/

You could build a direct conversion receiver with a crystal oscillator.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

[email protected] January 23rd 06 04:57 PM

WWV receiver

google.com How to build Radio Receivers

Someone else will probally come along with better information.
cuhulin

Tim Shoppa January 23rd 06 05:05 PM

WWV receiver

Tobin Fricke wrote:
As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in the
resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at such
"round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

You might look at the Ramsey electronics 10 MHz WWV receiver kit. It's
a pretty basic crystal controlled superhet/ceramic filter/AM detector
with AGC.

Tim.

John S. January 23rd 06 05:28 PM

WWV receiver

Tobin Fricke wrote:
As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in the
resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at such
"round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

Are you looking to decode the data transmissions or listen to the voice
signals. If the former it may take something more sophisticated
because you will have to feed a decoder.

xpyttl January 24th 06 12:18 PM

WWV receiver

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Are you looking to decode the data transmissions or listen to the voice
signals. If the former it may take something more sophisticated
because you will have to feed a decoder.

Well, the 60 kHz WWVB transmissions were designed to be decoded, and there
are a fair number of projects out there to do just that. However, depending
on where you are, you can typically only hear WWVB for a small part of the
day.

John S. January 24th 06 02:15 PM

WWV receiver

xpyttl wrote:
"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Are you looking to decode the data transmissions or listen to the voice
signals. If the former it may take something more sophisticated
because you will have to feed a decoder.

Well, the 60 kHz WWVB transmissions were designed to be decoded, and there
are a fair number of projects out there to do just that. However, depending
on where you are, you can typically only hear WWVB for a small part of the
day.

..

True, but his message did not make that clear. A receiver that tunes
to the HF voice signals won't work well on the LF band.

Joel Kolstad January 24th 06 04:28 PM

WWV receiver

"xpyttl" wrote in message
However, depending on where you are, you can typically only hear WWVB for a
small part of the day.

Does a bigger antenna help? Or is there just so much more background noise
than signal that it's a lost cause?

Hmm... isn't the data rate something like 1bps? Maybe they could do some
direct sequence spreading at 100Hz or so and improve the link margin a handful
of dB... :-)

Michael A. Terrell January 24th 06 05:20 PM

WWV receiver

Joel Kolstad wrote:

"xpyttl" wrote in message
However, depending on where you are, you can typically only hear WWVB for a
small part of the day.

Does a bigger antenna help? Or is there just so much more background noise
than signal that it's a lost cause?

Hmm... isn't the data rate something like 1bps? Maybe they could do some
direct sequence spreading at 100Hz or so and improve the link margin a handful
of dB... :-)

And lose the ability to be used as a frequency standard?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Mark Zenier January 24th 06 07:13 PM

WWV receiver

In article ,
xpyttl wrote:
"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Are you looking to decode the data transmissions or listen to the voice
signals. If the former it may take something more sophisticated
because you will have to feed a decoder.

Well, the 60 kHz WWVB transmissions were designed to be decoded, and there
are a fair number of projects out there to do just that. However, depending
on where you are, you can typically only hear WWVB for a small part of the
day.

The same time code is in the WWV HF signals as a 100 Hz, One Baud, pulse
duration modulated subcarrier tone. If you've only got a communications
grade speaker in your receiver, you may not notice it.

Mark Zenier