RadioBanter

-   -   Shortwave Radio?? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/88081-shortwave-radio.html)

Rikk February 8th 06 02:57 PM

Shortwave Radio??

Hi
I am new to shortwave, when I do a search through the bands all I get is
foreign language stations, therefore I have no idea as to what or who I am
listening to.
Can anyone suggest times and bands where I am likely to find english
speaking programs and stations please.
I am in the UK, on GMT
thanks
Rikk

Mark S. Holden February 8th 06 03:38 PM

Shortwave Radio??

Rikk wrote:
Hi
I am new to shortwave, when I do a search through the bands all I get is
foreign language stations, therefore I have no idea as to what or who I am
listening to.
Can anyone suggest times and bands where I am likely to find english
speaking programs and stations please.
I am in the UK, on GMT
thanks
Rikk

You might start by looking at the schedules available he

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

I believe that web site mostly covers signals aimed at North America,
but you may still pick some of them up.

David February 8th 06 03:49 PM

Shortwave Radio??

http://hfradio.org/english/

weatherall February 8th 06 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikk
Hi
I am new to shortwave, when I do a search through the bands all I get is
foreign language stations, therefore I have no idea as to what or who I am
listening to.
Can anyone suggest times and bands where I am likely to find english
speaking programs and stations please.
I am in the UK, on GMT
thanks
Rikk

Hi Rikk:

Schedules of english-language broadcasts are available on www.primetimeshortwave.com . Also you should learn what the broadcast bands are, as those are the frequency ranges where broadcasts can be found. This makes scanning easier. Check out this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

and scroll down to ITU Frequency Allocation.

Also feel free to ask any other questions if you need more help.