Old February 9th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default VOA to be eliminated?

Passport 2006 says that Voice of America will be eliminated entirely and
resources shifted to other radio and TV ventures of the US govt. This
means that real programming will be dumped in favor of music services
and that lame Al Houri satellite TV channel that nobody watches.

Al Houri was a good idea, especially considering that more Arabs watch
satellite TV than listen to shortwave, but like everything else in the
war on terror the Bushies have completely ****ed it up. EVERYBODY knows
that it is a propaganda arm of the US govt, and therefore NOBODY watches
it except when Saddam's trial is on. Don't get me started on Radio Sawa.

It seems that SW services around the world are severely being curtailed
except for countries like China which are far from an unbiased source.
At least Radio Havana is interesting (sometimes) and occasionally drops
a real bombshell that makes it on to the US evening news three nights
later.

In today's unstable geopolitical environment, I think cutting back on
shortwave will prove to be a real mistake. The BBC didn't bother to
serve Nepal except on FM until the king clamped down. The Beeb's FM
station in Kathmandu was shut down and the reporters arrested. Suddenly,
the Beeb was redirecting SW transmissions to Nepal to serve the
Nepalese.

SW has proven its utility in places like Zimbabwe and China where the
populace is limited in the news they can get from the outside world and
where asking the wrong questions can make you disappear. Don't think
that a clampdown can't happen in America, or a revolution in Saudi
Arabia, or an insurgent victory in Iraq. Then people would see how much
of a mistake it was to cut shortwave.

Old February 10th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

running dogg wrote:
[...]

It's gonna free up some valuable bandwidth, though.

Old February 10th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

For Bro. Stair and the like.

Hudley Pearse

Old February 13th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

David wrote:
On 13 Feb 2006 06:46:00 -0800, "John S." wrote:

SW has proven its utility in places like Zimbabwe and China where the
populace is limited in the news they can get from the outside world and
where asking the wrong questions can make you disappear. Don't think
that a clampdown can't happen in America, or a revolution in Saudi
Arabia, or an insurgent victory in Iraq. Then people would see how much
of a mistake it was to cut shortwave.

I don't see how a government funded and operated shortwave radio
station like VOA would help if the government is doing the clamping
down. Unless you plan to be the one who singlehandedly storms the VOA
on Independence Avenue during the clampdown.

The USA has been under a media clampdown for over 20 years. The
people are sufficiently brainwashed and no threat to the rulers.

Oooooh...I.....see.....

Are the rulers you are concerned about commuting to Area 51 by flying
saucer to run the nation?

Old February 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

David wrote:
[...]

It's the same group that periodically shuts down the
internet for maintenance.

--Mike L.

Old February 13th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 13 Feb 2006 08:11:12 -0800, "John S." wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

Mock as you will. The USA is finished.

Old February 13th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

David wrote:
[...]

You'll be finished long before the USA is, dumbf**k.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 13th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wouldn't go Bird Hunting with any politicians or ex politicians or
future politicians either.I prefer to LIVE.I wouldn't even go hunting
with goobernor Haley Barbour.Now,I certainly would go Hunting with the
37 year old blonde Bell South woman next door because she has been
Hunting before for many years and I trust she wouldn't shoot me.
cuhulin

Old February 13th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mr.Whittington had a close call.I think he thinks too close for
comfort.Last night,I heard on my radio he is doing ok,he is sitting up
and flirtin with them nurses.He will survive.
cuhulin

Old February 14th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

HFguy wrote:
John S. wrote:

Is there such a thing as an government radio station that is an
unbiased news source? I can't think of one.

I think Swiss Radio (SRI) was about as unbiased as a government station
could be. Sadly they're gone. I miss the 'Two Bobs' DX program.

Yeah, that was a really enjoyable program.