Old February 21st 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default What's wrong with my radio?

My Yaesu FRG-8800 has been acting strangely. Tonight while listening to
the BBC on 5975 I had blasts of static interrupt the broadcast. Finally
around 0310 the broadcast became inaudible. This is a problem with my
radio, since ALL stations all across the spectrum are now inaudible. I
tuned up to 6050 khz as well as checked WWV on 5 Mhz and everything has
gone deaf. I suspect that my troubles with listening to Cuba are related
to the same problem. A week ago I had a brief problem where a very
staticky Radio Australia swamped the spectrum. What could possibly be
wrong with my radio? How can I contact Yaesu? I had their contact info
years ago when I had to send my radio in for repairs twice, but I lost
it.

Old February 21st 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Kinda looks like you've been hit by the BPL monster. I live within 75
feet of Taylor University's library-where all the computers are. On
nights when the students do home work at the library, my HF-225 goes
thru the same throes. The students summer vacation is my DX time now.
Jack

When in trouble or in doubt
run in circles, scream and shout.

Old February 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen

running dogg - Has this been a daytime thing too, or just evenings?

Bruce Jensen

Old February 21st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

bpnjensen wrote:

running dogg - Has this been a daytime thing too, or just evenings?

Bruce Jensen

Haven't checked in the daytime. Last time I checked 11 Mhz band, it was
totally dead. This was around 2000 UTC. I did notice a LOT of birdies
however, which I attributed to my computer. It seems that I'll have the
Yaesu go dead, I'll turn it off and unplug it for 15 minutes, then it
will be fine. I haven't noticed any similar problems on my Degen.

Old February 21st 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Does the radio have a little battery in it? Sort of like a little round
digital watch battery similar in computers.Looks like some sort of a hit
and miss thingy.
cuhulin

Old February 22nd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BPL is Broadband over Power Lines.You dont want it in your city or
neighborhood.
cuhulin

Old February 22nd 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default What's wrong with my radio? UPDATE

running dogg wrote:

My Yaesu FRG-8800 has been acting strangely. Tonight while listening to
the BBC on 5975 I had blasts of static interrupt the broadcast. Finally
around 0310 the broadcast became inaudible. This is a problem with my
radio, since ALL stations all across the spectrum are now inaudible. I
tuned up to 6050 khz as well as checked WWV on 5 Mhz and everything has
gone deaf. I suspect that my troubles with listening to Cuba are related
to the same problem. A week ago I had a brief problem where a very
staticky Radio Australia swamped the spectrum. What could possibly be
wrong with my radio? How can I contact Yaesu? I had their contact info
years ago when I had to send my radio in for repairs twice, but I lost
it.

I turned off the computer. I was listening to BBC English on 5975 when,
ten minutes into the broadcast, loud popping noises started going off
rapidly causing abrupt changes in signal level, like I reported before.
I immediately switched over to the Degen, and I had no further problems
for 20 minutes until I turned the radio off. The fact that I experienced
the problems ONLY with the Yaesu and not with the Degen rules out BPL or
some other external RFI source as the problem. I opened up the Yaesu and
cleaned it with compressed air since there was some dust inside, but I
still had the problem. It IS the Yaesu that is causing the problem, not
the computer or the ethernet connection or BPL or some other external
source. I did not experience these problems while tuning through the
15Mhz band earlier today. It appears that once the Yaesu heats up that
some connection fails. It appears that continued listening on one
frequency for about 10 minutes causes this heating up and failing. Any
ideas?

Old February 22nd 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA

It sounds like your PLL is going out of lock............could be a faulty
trimmer capacitor that is used to warp the reference crystal on frequency.
Check the phase detector input for the reference frequency.

Pete

"running dogg" wrote in message
running dogg wrote:

[...]

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews CB 0 June 25th 04 07:31 PM