RadioBanter

-   -   And the Zenith goes for... (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/89093-zenith-goes.html)

Bob Miller February 21st 06 02:38 PM

And the Zenith goes for...

Been watching this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Private bidding on a NOS Transoceanic. Now at $670...

bob
k5qwg

Joe Analssandrini February 21st 06 02:57 PM

And the Zenith goes for...

Hello Bob.

As those radios, when new in the late 1950s, sold for about $250.00,
adjusting for inflation and taking into account that this particular
unit was a "demonstrator," an equivalent price today would be about
$2000.00.

If you are a collector, or formerly owned one and you want to
"recapture your youth," anything under $2000.00 would be a good price,
in my opinion.

But think - for $2000.00 you could buy a "loaded" AOR AR7030 Plus which
will "run rings" around the Zenith Trans-Oceanic in reception
performance, sound quality, and overall reliability.

But, I suppose, those two radios would be attractive to two different
markets.

Best,

Joe

David February 21st 06 03:31 PM

And the Zenith goes for...

On 21 Feb 2006 06:57:28 -0800, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Hello Bob.

As those radios, when new in the late 1950s, sold for about $250.00,
adjusting for inflation and taking into account that this particular
unit was a "demonstrator," an equivalent price today would be about
$2000.00.

If you are a collector, or formerly owned one and you want to
"recapture your youth," anything under $2000.00 would be a good price,
in my opinion.

But think - for $2000.00 you could buy a "loaded" AOR AR7030 Plus which
will "run rings" around the Zenith Trans-Oceanic in reception
performance, sound quality, and overall reliability.

But, I suppose, those two radios would be attractive to two different
markets.

Best,

Joe

Right. One appeals to interior decorators the other to tech junkies.
The HF-150 would appeal to both.

Joe Analssandrini February 21st 06 11:31 PM

And the Zenith goes for...

Jim, you're right. How silly of me. I SHOULD have compared the Zenith
Trans-Oceanic with the superb and unparalleled Bell + Howell radio!

Best,

Joe

Joe Analssandrini February 21st 06 11:51 PM

And the Zenith goes for...

With one hour to go, the bid is up to $1050.00. Actually, considering
the radio is new-old stock (never sold) and its 1958 price was $250.00,
this price is quite reasonable. A collector would be getting a bargain
as its price, if the radio is kept in its current advertised condition,
will only go up, possibly way up.

But it would certainly not be a good buy if this radio were to be
intended for everyday use.

Best,

Joe

John S. February 22nd 06 12:02 AM

And the Zenith goes for...

Bob Miller wrote:
Been watching this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Private bidding on a NOS Transoceanic. Now at $670...

bob
k5qwg

Someone is going to make a nice addition to their collection. Amazing
that an NOS radio of that age can be found....

Joe Analssandrini February 22nd 06 12:50 AM

And the Zenith goes for...

Zenith Trans-Oceanic goes for $1425.00. Amazing1 Best of luck to the
new owner.

Joe

Bob Miller February 22nd 06 12:52 AM

And the Zenith goes for...

On 21 Feb 2006 15:51:42 -0800, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

With one hour to go, the bid is up to $1050.00. Actually, considering
the radio is new-old stock (never sold) and its 1958 price was $250.00,
this price is quite reasonable. A collector would be getting a bargain
as its price, if the radio is kept in its current advertised condition,
will only go up, possibly way up.

But it would certainly not be a good buy if this radio were to be
intended for everyday use.

Best,

Joe

Somebody got it for $1425.00

My first brand new VW cost about $200 more than that

bob
k5qwg