Old March 13th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDogg

Default NEW Sony AN-12 Active Antenna

Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

Link
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/ava...19147&KM=AN-12

Photo
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/ava...KM=AN-12&PCT=2
0158

[Crude translation]

LW/MW/SW wide range antenna AN-12
15,750 Yen in desired retail price
(15,000 Yen in tax removal price)

- The FET Rf.??? adoption active antenna which is superior in disturbance
quality
- Covering 3 zones of the short wave, medium frequency and long wave
- You install even in the veranda and the like of the apartment, possible
small size and the lightweight separate design. Splashproof construction
- Effective antenna coupler attachment to also the radio and the radio
cassette which do not have the antenna terminal

Power source: DC9V (optional single 3 type dry cell battery ×6/external
power source jack rating DC9V)
Frequency range: 0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW), 1.6-30MHz (SW)
Output impedance: 50-75 Ohm
Coaxial cable: 12m

Antenna controller section
Size: Width 80× height 31× depth 140mm
Mass: 340g (the dry cell battery it includes)

Antenna module and antenna holder section
Size: Width 89× height 660× depth 135mm (when the antenna is folded)
Mass: Approximately 1kg (the coaxial cable it includes)

Accessory: Connecting cord (mini- plug - - coupler)
Antenna coupler ANC-2
Connecting cord RK-69A (mini- plug - - mini- plug)

"Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre
quod credis."
Brought to you by http://www.frontpagemag.com and
http://china-e-lobby.blogspot.com

Old March 14th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

"SeeingEyeDogg" wrote in message
[...]

If it's up to Sony's old standard of quality for such things, I suppose $150
isn't too bad a price.

Old March 14th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Looks just like the now-discontinued AN-1, doesn't it?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html

Old March 14th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"junius" wrote:

SeeingEyeDogg wrote:
Sony AN-12 LW/MW/SW wide range antenna

Link
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/ava...D=19147&KM=AN-
12

Photo http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/avacc/image
pop.cfm?PD=19147&KM=AN-12&PCT=2 0158

[...]

I fixed both the links.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/ava...147&KM=AN-12&P
CT=20158

Yes they do look similar.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 14th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
wrote:

It wont do anything more than eleven inches of plain old wire will do.
cuhulin

Do yourself a big favor and stick to the off topic flame threads.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 14th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

I have an AN-1 antenna. I see no difference appearance-wise between
the AN-1 and the AN-12 pictured on the Sony website. The picture on
the Sony website shows the mounting apparatus in assembled form,
whereas the Universal website shows all of the various components in
pre-assembled form.

While I've never bothered measuring the AN-1 in millimeters, the specs
seem to be the same as the AN-12: frequency coverage (including the
two frequency range settings), the same "ANC-2"-designated coupler,
same power requirements (including the provision for 6xAA powering).

I guess the question is, did Sony take the old AN-1 and modify it in
some way and produce some new model? If so, might we see it in the
States? I had thought Sony was pulling out of the shortwave market.

junius

Old March 14th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an AN-1 antenna. I see no difference appearance-wise between
the AN-1 and the AN-12 pictured on the Sony website. The picture on
the Sony website shows the mounting apparatus in assembled form,
whereas the Universal website shows all of the various components in
pre-assembled form.

While I've never bothered measuring the AN-1 in millimeters, the specs
seem to be the same as the AN-12: frequency coverage (including the
two frequency range settings), the same "ANC-2"-designated coupler,
same power requirements (including the provision for 6xAA powering).

I guess the question is, did Sony take the old AN-1 and modify it in
some way and produce some new model? If so, might we see it in the
States? I had thought Sony was pulling out of the shortwave market.

junius

Wasn't the AN-1 for HF frequencies only?

Old March 15th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Well, I'd say so, since I never found the AN-1 a particularly stellar
performer on LW or MW. Nonetheless, there is a switch on the front of
the control box for two frequency ranges:

0.15-30MHz (LW/MW/SW) and 1.6-30MHz (SW)

But, to be fair, the AN-1, while providing somewhat modest gain on the
SW bands, was a decent match for portables (where overload would be a
concern); the ability to mount it out of doors gave it an advantage not
to be found with the now-popular indoor active loop antennas (AN-LP1
and that Kaito/Degen one) designed for portables.

junius

Old March 18th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

BAD,

"The Sony AN-1 Active Antenna provides good reception
over the range .15 to 30 MHz."
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2206.html

The Sony AN-1 Active Antenna Coverage would be 150 kHz to 30 MHz
+ Longwave Frequencies = 150 to 500 kHz
+ Medium Wave {AM BCB} = 500 to 1700 kHz
+ Shortwave Bands {HF} = 1.8 to 30 MHz

IMHO - The Sony AN-12 Active Antenna would appear to be
a re-make {up-grade ?} of the Sony AN-1 Active Antenna.
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/ava...19147&KM=AN-12

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old March 18th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Plain old ordinary wire is your best bet.Unless you have the funds and
room to put us some serious outside radio antennas.
cuhulin