RadioBanter

-   -   Space Weather (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/92055-space-weather.html)

Lisa Simpson April 3rd 06 06:00 PM

Space Weather

Space Weather News for April 3, 2006

http://spaceweather.com

Solar activity is suddenly increasing. The biggest sunspots of the year are
crossing the solar disk; one group is longer than 10 Earth diameters and
poses a threat for solar flares. Meanwhile, astronomers are monitoring a
large and delightfully complex prominence dancing long the sun's limb.
Whether all this will translate into magnetic storms and auroras remains to
be seen. Please visit http://spaceweather.com for pictures and updates.

Would you like to know about solar flares the instant they erupt? Sign up
for SpaceWeather PHONE: http://spaceweatherphone.com

an old friend April 3rd 06 11:51 PM

Space Weather

David wrote:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:52:31 -0700, "Verstaldin"
wrote:

Don't look now, Flanders, but the Earth's magnetic field is
disappearing.

hardly it is just cycling though it natural progression as has been for
a few billion year

Lisa Simpson April 3rd 06 11:52 PM

Space Weather

You're right, should not be taken too lightly especially by anyone in space.
since it is unlikely you or I will ever be in that general neighborhood
however, we can take it as lightly as we please! : }

"Verstaldin" wrote in message
While prominences and flares can be exciting in an esthetic sense, the
reality behind those beautiful pitcures is terrifying. It is a good thing
earth has a magnetic field as strong as it is today. If we were like Mars,
anyone living on the surface might be fried by radiation or die of cancers
caused by it. It shouldnot be taken lightly. Also, its effects on vital
communications can be pretty potent as well.

All life all holiness come from you O Lord
http://pwp.surfglobal.net/mjmiller/index.htm

. ..

Buzzygirl April 4th 06 01:07 AM

Space Weather

"Verstaldin" wrote in message
While prominences and flares can be exciting in an esthetic sense, the

reality behind those beautiful pitcures is terrifying.

Our local star is wonderful and stable, but being that it is basically a
gigantic nuclear reactor, it's also inherently nasty. The only reason we
live in peace with it is because of our thick, protective magnetic field and
our ozone layer. There are massive doses of UV, x-rays and gamma rays thrown
out in one major x-class flare. Even some of the smaller solar flares are
larger than the entire Earth. The bigger ones are larger than many Earths
strung end-to-end.

Our observatory has a telescope that is specifically designed to look at the
Sun in a specific wavelength of light, known as hydrogen alpha (H-alpha). It
only allows you to view in a certain small slice of light wavelength (the
alpha emission line in the red end of the spectrum), but that is where all
the action is. When the Sun is really active, you can see solar flares,
prominences and even the boiling "granulation" that marks the photosphere*
of the Sun through this scope. You can see the surface of the Sun literally
change before your eyes.

Four years ago when the Sun was more active than now, I was watching
gigantic loops of superheated hydrogen gas coming out of sunspots and
looping back into them again. To see that kind of detail from the Earth just
takes your breath away. Here's a picture pretty similar to what I saw:
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...te_000926.html

Jackie

*The Sun technically has no solid surface, but what appears to us as a
surface, we refer to as the photosphere.

HFguy April 4th 06 01:42 AM

Space Weather

wrote:

Don't look now, Flanders, but the Earth's magnetic field is
disappearing.

hardly it is just cycling though it natural progression as has been for
a few billion year

The problem is we could be much more vulnerable to the radiation from
solar storms during the time period that the earth's magnetic field is
reversing. No one knows for sure how long this takes. It could be months
or years. There will also be a higher risk of skin cancer during the
reversal period and compasses will be almost useless. Fortunately we
have alternatives to the compass these days.

[email protected] April 4th 06 02:10 AM

Space Weather

Archeologist people have found Human fossils that date back to between
five million years and six million years.I believe Humans will exist on
Earth for at least another five to six million years.Perhaps many,many
more millions of years,unless some unknown something out there in Space
clobbers us all to smithereens.Klattu Baraba Nikto.All Your Base Are
Belong To Us.
cuhulin

an old friend April 4th 06 02:26 AM

Space Weather

HFguy wrote:

wrote:

Don't look now, Flanders, but the Earth's magnetic field is
disappearing.

hardly it is just cycling though it natural progression as has been for
a few billion year

The problem is we could be much more vulnerable to the radiation from
solar storms during the time period that the earth's magnetic field is
reversing.

the sky is fall the sky is falling
No one knows for sure how long this takes. It could be months
or years.

the shy is falling the sky is falling
There will also be a higher risk of skin cancer during the
reversal period and compasses will be almost useless. Fortunately we
have alternatives to the compass these days

the sky is falling the sky is falling.

these events have occoured many time in the history of the planet I am
more concernied about gobal climate change than the magetic field

Telamon April 4th 06 03:42 AM

Space Weather

In article nijYf.1756$v9.320@trndny01, HFguy
wrote:

wrote:

Don't look now, Flanders, but the Earth's magnetic field is
disappearing.

hardly it is just cycling though it natural progression as has been
for a few billion year

The problem is we could be much more vulnerable to the radiation from
solar storms during the time period that the earth's magnetic field
is reversing. No one knows for sure how long this takes. It could be
months or years. There will also be a higher risk of skin cancer
during the reversal period and compasses will be almost useless.
Fortunately we have alternatives to the compass these days.

This is not going to happen in our life time. Don't worry about it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

an_old_friend April 4th 06 03:48 AM

Space Weather

HFguy wrote:
an old friend wrote:
HFguy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Are you a parrot?

no
The point is "these events" have never happened to a
technological society on this planet.

an unporven but likely assertion
The last time the earth's magnetic
field reversed our ancestors were living in caves. The worst that could
happen back then was a bad sunburn or possibly death from skin cancer.
The stakes are much higher now.

realy?

look chicken little get a grip

Telamon April 4th 06 03:52 AM

Space Weather

In article ,
"Buzzygirl" wrote:

[...]

See the sun at different wavelengths. Click on each image to get a
larger picture of the full disk.

http://www.n3kl.org/sun/

--
Telamon