RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Tuner (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/92370-antenna-tuner.html)

coustanis April 7th 06 08:58 PM

Antenna Tuner

What antenna tuner (possibly with amp) for under...say a hundred bucks
do you folks like.
This would be for general coverage and DXing.

Thanks.

David April 7th 06 09:29 PM

Antenna Tuner

On 7 Apr 2006 12:58:01 -0700, "coustanis" wrote:

What antenna tuner (possibly with amp) for under...say a hundred bucks
do you folks like.
This would be for general coverage and DXing.

Thanks.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1020C

(Not a tuner, but a preselector, which is much better.)

junius April 8th 06 12:02 AM

Antenna Tuner

David wrote:
On 7 Apr 2006 12:58:01 -0700, "coustanis" wrote:

What antenna tuner (possibly with amp) for under...say a hundred bucks
do you folks like.
This would be for general coverage and DXing.

Thanks.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1020C

(Not a tuner, but a preselector, which is much better.)

There's also the 1045C which is not designed as an active antenna.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

According to one of the techs I talked to at MFJ, this unit is to be
preferred over the 1020C, if your main concern is preselection. Of
course, it comes with no whip antenna. Runs off of a 9V battery as
well as from a wall wart (just like the 1020C). The description says
the 1045C accomodates 2 antennae and 2 receivers: not true; it's for
one antenna and one receiver, although it does have both a UHF and an
RCA connector for your antenna connection and the same for connection
to your receiver.

junius

coustanis April 8th 06 12:23 AM

Antenna Tuner

junius wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

Although I will google this, I'll continue the thread by asking;
What's the difference between a tuner and a preslector?

junius April 8th 06 12:36 AM

Antenna Tuner

See Telamon's explanation at the link below:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ab82bf7784f6df

coustanis April 8th 06 02:24 AM

Antenna Tuner

John S. wrote:
coustanis wrote:
junius wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

What kind of radio and antenna are you using. Unless you are using
something really old I don't think a preselector or an antenna tuner
will do you much good at all. They will end up being another set of
knobs to twiddle and twist. You will find the tuner in particular will
raise the signal level, but it will raise everything and no new signals
will magically appear from the ether.

An R-1000 with an indoor random longwire. Eventually I'll set up an
outdoor dipole
or something similar.

[email protected] April 8th 06 02:41 AM

Antenna Tuner

If you buy an MFJ,dont forget what they say,,,, Be sure to tighten up
the nuts and bolts and screws.
cuhulin

Mark Shernan April 8th 06 03:23 AM

Antenna Tuner

wrote:
If you buy an MFJ,dont forget what they say,,,, Be sure to tighten up
the nuts and bolts and screws.
cuhulin

Huh??

HFguy April 8th 06 04:05 AM

Antenna Tuner

blitz wrote:

I've got two hi-fi tuners that overload on the outdoor long-wire (on
AM, of course). Is there a way to tune, preselect, detune, balun,
resist, or whatever the antenna so I can use it?

It depends on what's overloading the receiver. Are you located close to
a strong AM station? In general, a passive pre-selector should help but
you might need just a frequency 'trap' to reduce the strength of the
offending station. Are you using coax for the antenna lead-in or just a
single wire?

David April 8th 06 01:22 PM

Antenna Tuner

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:34:37 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

HFguy writes...

blitz wrote:

I've got two hi-fi tuners that overload on the outdoor long-wire (on
AM, of course). Is there a way to tune, preselect, detune, balun,
resist, or whatever the antenna so I can use it?

It depends on what's overloading the receiver. Are you located close to
a strong AM station? In general, a passive pre-selector should help but
you might need just a frequency 'trap' to reduce the strength of the
offending station. Are you using coax for the antenna lead-in or just a
single wire?

Yeah, I'm close to some 'strong' AM stations. Strong in signal
strength, at least. The worst only runs ~350 watts at night, but there
are several that intrude at points on the dial, w/the outside antenna.

I'm using coax from the tuners, about a hundred feet out to the
antenna, grounded at the house and the outside connection point with
buried 8' copper rods. The grounding kills most of the noise- it's
very quiet on the Yamaha T-1 (could stand a little more signal,
actually). But the Yamaha TX-950 and the Onkyo T-4711 get station
harmonics like crazy.

HiFi AM tuners suck.