RadioBanter

-   -   Suggestions for the DE1108 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/93078-suggestions-de1108.html)

Ran April 18th 06 05:48 PM

Suggestions for the DE1108

I've reviewed tons of suggestions and most are great - but I have a
suggestion/request that I have not seen yet. Please include the ability
to keep the dial light on with batteries for more than 15 sec. Hey,
it's my batteries and if I want to run them down, give me that option.
It always seems that just about the time I reach to change the dial (on
most radio's I used) that the dial light goes out and I can't seen the
button I wanted to push. If nothing else, at least give us the ability
to keep the dial light on for about a minute before it goes out.

Everything else about the up coming DE1108 I love. Can't wait to get
one.

Ran

John S. April 18th 06 06:08 PM

Suggestions for the DE1108

Ran wrote:
I've reviewed tons of suggestions and most are great - but I have a
suggestion/request that I have not seen yet. Please include the ability
to keep the dial light on with batteries for more than 15 sec. Hey,
it's my batteries and if I want to run them down, give me that option.
It always seems that just about the time I reach to change the dial (on
most radio's I used) that the dial light goes out and I can't seen the
button I wanted to push. If nothing else, at least give us the ability
to keep the dial light on for about a minute before it goes out.

Everything else about the up coming DE1108 I love. Can't wait to get
one.

Ran

Sounds interesting, but it will be hefty with 6 D cell batteries
installed. I hope that is a translation error.....

N9NEO April 18th 06 07:29 PM

Suggestions for the DE1108

Where can I read more about the DE1108?

I have just ordered the Kaito KA1103 yesterday. I'm of course already
thinking about my next radio after the 1103. Probably the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR that Mr. SeeingEyeDogg has been touting. But who knows.

John S. April 18th 06 08:44 PM

Suggestions for the DE1108

N9NEO wrote:
Where can I read more about the DE1108?

I have just ordered the Kaito KA1103 yesterday. I'm of course already
thinking about my next radio after the 1103. Probably the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR that Mr. SeeingEyeDogg has been touting. But who knows.

Radiointel.com has a January 2006 summary that was apparently
translated from a chinese website. If the specs are right it is about
14 inches wide and when packed with 6 D cells it ain't no pocket
portable. I would encourage you to enjoy the 1103 and just hold off
'till someone buys a 1108 and does a complete review.

RHF April 18th 06 10:48 PM

Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

John S. - "it ain't no pocket portable."

Good a real full size 'portable' which human size Controls
large enough for my big old Fingers to opperate and my
tired old Eyes to see.

Plus a Set of Six (6) "D" Cells so that this Radio will run
on a set for weeks of normal every day listening.

Note -This is one of my personal requirements for a Super Radio.

Add in a Large Quality Speakers so that the Radio actually
'Sounds Good' and not cheap and tinny.

Note -This is another of my personal requirements for a Super Radio.

Good Tune-ability Selectivity and Sensitivity in AM/MW, FM
and Shortwave.

Note - Again this is another of my personal requirements for a Super
Radio.

SO THE QUESTION IS ? ? ?
The 'new' Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ?
Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

READ - Details On The Future Degen DE1108
DE-1108 = http://www.radiointel.com/oldnews.htm
Featured on RadioIntel.Com = http//www.radiointel.com/

~ RHF

RHF April 18th 06 10:56 PM

Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

Ran,

As far as the issue of the Degen De1108's Dial Light Duration
goes have a Bright-&-Dim Dial Light Option {Key Function} :
* Bright-On {Hi-Full-Illumination} for 15 Seconds -or-
* Dim-On {Low-1/3-Illumination} for 60 Seconds
When using DC Battery Power.

Note - The Hi-or-Low Dial Lights feature is also nice
for AC Power Operation too.

John S. April 19th 06 02:01 AM

RHF wrote:
[...]

Near as I can tell from the Radiointel article it is transled from a
foreign (probably chinese) website. It may be just manufacturer specs.
I believe delivery is 4th quarter 2006 maybe? If so the radio would
seem to have potential, but I'll reserve judgement until it is no
longer vaporware and someone has really tested it.

14 inches wide and 6 D batteries is a bit too chunky for my taste.

dxAce April 19th 06 03:05 AM

"John S." wrote:

RHF wrote:
[...]

No muscle?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] April 19th 06 06:01 AM

Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

I love those nice big chunky portables. I have one of 1970's vintage
that is analogue with half a dozen bandspread bands on it. Sensitive
and sounds very rich. Also easy on those D cells.
I too am waiting for the 1108 . Based on the nice work that
Degen has done so far this radio should be great.
Bob

RHF April 19th 06 11:10 AM

Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

John S.,

Yes 14 Inches Wide by 8 Inches High and X.x Inches Thick
makes it a LARGE 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio
and places it in the general size range of other Large Size
'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios.

However, it has two 4 Inch Speakers for Stereo FM Sound.
- - - Subtract-out one of the 4 Inch Speakers and you have
a Radio that is now 10 Inches Wide by 8 Inches High :o)
- - - Hey - I Shrunk The Radio ! ;-}

FWIW - Larger Size 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios :
* Tecsun BCL-2000 = 10 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 3 1/2"
* Sony ICF-2010 = 11 3/8" x 6 3/4" x 2 1/4"
* Sangean ATS-818 = 11 3/8" x 7" x 2 1/2"
* Grundig Satellit 700 = 12 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 3"
* Eton E1 XM = 13 1/8" x 7 1/8" x 2 1/4"
* * * Degen De1108 = 14" x 8" x ?"
* Panasonic RF-2900 = 15" x 9 7/8" x 4 3/4"
All use "D" Size Batteries for DC Power.

Some Large AM /FM Only Radios
CCRadioPlus+ = 11" x 6 1/2" x 4"
GE Superadio III = 12 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 4 1/2"
All use "D" Size Batteries for DC Power.

The Average Size 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radios :
Usually between 7"-9" Wide and 4"-5" High
* Grundig Yacht Boy 400-PE / G4000A
* Sangean ATS-909
* Sony ICF-SW7600
* Mini CC Radio (AM/FM Only)
* Kaito KA1103
Most use "AA" Size Batteries for DC Power.

time to tote my big old radios
and strut-with-style ~ RHF