RadioBanter

-   -   What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/93297-what-about-slim-jim-antenna.html)

RHF April 22nd 06 07:46 PM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

The Slim Jim Antenna
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

The Slim Jim is a Vertically Polarized Omni-Directional End-Fed
Antenna having considerable gain and this is concentrated almost
parallel to ground toward the horizon rather than skyward making
it more efficient than a ground plane type antenna by about 50
percent better.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/2meter300ohmslimjim.html

Due to it's SLIM {Very Thin Shape} used in it's Design,
there is very little wind loading. It is fed with 50 ohm coax.
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit...ntennas/slim_j

It uses a 'J' type Matching Stub (J Integrated Matching = JIM),
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/en/gu...p?sub=antennas

Hense the name SLIM JIM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(antenna)

Credit for the original design goes to F.C. Judd [G2BCX].
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit...ntennas/slim_j

How to make a Weatherproof Vertically Polarised Omni-Directional Aerial
http://www.irational.org/sic/radio/omni-aerial.html

Choosing the Correct Antenna
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/antchose.htm
Marc's Technical Pages
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/index.htm

So could I make one of these Slim Jim Antennas
for the Shortwave 49 Meter Band ? ? ?
and just how Thin-and-Tall would it be ? ? ?

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

obtw - too fat to be called 'slim' and my name ain't 'jim' :o) a- iane
~ RHF

[email protected] April 22nd 06 08:18 PM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

On 22 Apr 2006 11:46:13 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

.
.

The Slim Jim is another name for a J-Pole from everything I read about
it. This is a 1/2 wave antenna over a 1/4 wave matching section so
your 49 meter band antenna would be rather tall (about 37 meters).
Sure, you could make it ......... would be interested to see your
plans for installing it 8-}

Howard

[email protected] April 22nd 06 08:23 PM

wrote:

[...]

RHF - forgot to mention that the claimed 6dB gain (in relation to a
5/8 wave antenna) is rather bogus.

Tom Holden April 22nd 06 10:06 PM

wrote:

The Slim Jim Antenna
http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html
[snip]
So could I make one of these Slim Jim Antennas
for the Shortwave 49 Meter Band ? ? ?
and just how Thin-and-Tall would it be ? ? ?

~ RHF
.
.

The Slim Jim is another name for a J-Pole from everything I read about
it. This is a 1/2 wave antenna over a 1/4 wave matching section so
your 49 meter band antenna would be rather tall (about 37 meters).
Sure, you could make it ......... would be interested to see your
plans for installing it 8-}

Howard

With the base another 1/4 wave above ground, lo and behold the top of the
Slim Jim for the 49 m band would be ==== 49 metres above ground!

How slim? Probably transmission line theory here so the dimension is
independent of the wavelength. You could probably use 300 ohm twin lead if
it wouldn't break under its own weight.

Tom

RHF April 23rd 06 12:32 AM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

Dale [W4OP] - Most 'xyz' dB Gain claims are relative.

Now take this classic Paper Clip it has an 'xyz' dB Gain
over the common Paper Staple . . .

As a matter of fact Two Paper Clips can be used to
form a Multi-Band 'Folded' Dipole Antenna.

One Paper Clip when thoroughly straighten-out can
be used as a Full-Wave Horizontal Wire Antenna

-OR- That same Paper Clip when thoroughly straighten-out
can be used as a Quarter-Wave Vertical Wire Antenna

Then again a Bent Paper Clip could be used as an
Inverted "L" Antenna -or- an End-Fed Inverted "V".

Same basic Paper Clip - simply different applications.

well i am feeling a little bent out of shape right now
cause in this vertual-paper-less society my paper clips
are going the way of buggy whips - iane ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggy_whip

[email protected] April 23rd 06 04:16 AM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

On 22 Apr 2006 19:59:17 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Dale [W4OP],

"Since the vertical angle of radiation is so narrow,
about 8 degrees toward the horizon, it usually out
performs 5/8 wave or groundplane type construction
due to their much higher angle of radiation. It is
estimated that the Slim Jim has about 6dB gain
over a 5/8 wave antenna due to the extreme
low angle of radiation."

"Editor's Note: There are many gain figures quoted
for this antenna and also various descriptions of the
actual type of antenna on various websites. Some
have even stated that, "In fact I found it outperformed
a 1/2wave over 1/2wave over 1/2wave colinea"

For many of the design applications as a Transmitting
Antenna in the 2-3 Meter range; and a receiving Antenna
for the FM Band. This Slim Jim Antenna is effectively a
small space Antenna that performs well for it's size and
when compared to the greater space requirements of
other Antennas.

iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

RHF,
This is what is claimed on the website though it is indeed not a true
representation of how the antenna performs. They perform no better
and no worse than any other half-wave antenna, besides look at how
they phrase it "estimated 6dB gain over...." which says that is not
calculated, tested or proven. If somebody built a slim-jim (j-pole)
that outperformed a colinear with multiple half-wave sections I'd look
at how each antenna was installed (height, clear of buildings etc) the
type of cable used (well we used hard-line with the slim-jim and 200
feet of RG-174 with the colinear) and wether or not that colinear was
properly constructed tuned. Hey, I'm not trying to rain on your
parade or be the guy who has to tell you that Santa Claus & The Tooth
Fairy or the Easter Bunny don't really exist - but in the end the
slim-jim/j-pole just doesn't perform as claimed on the website you
have visited.

Howard

Stan Barr April 23rd 06 06:06 AM

wrote:

The Slim Jim is another name for a J-Pole from everything I read about
it. This is a 1/2 wave antenna over a 1/4 wave matching section so
your 49 meter band antenna would be rather tall (about 37 meters).
Sure, you could make it ......... would be interested to see your
plans for installing it 8-}

The Slim Jim is basically similar to the J-Pole, as you describe,
but with a folded 1/2 wave section.
The J-Pole is basically a version of the original Zepp antenna, patented
in 1909, and designed to hang below balloons. The 1/4 wave matching stub
and the 1/2 wave radiating portion don't have to be inline, they can be
in a L arrangement with the top horizontal.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!

Bob Miller April 24th 06 05:20 PM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

On 22 Apr 2006 11:46:13 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

excerpted

This looks like what hams call a J-pole antenna. J-poles are popular
on the VHF and UHF bands. There's not much use of them on the HF bands
because they would be way, way huge -- your 49 meter version would be
about the size of a telephone pole.

Rhf, ya really oughtta go to Amazon.com and pick up a used copy of the
ARRL Antenna Book; David's advice was right on.

bob
k5qwg

[email protected] April 24th 06 05:34 PM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

Them J-Pole Antennas are supposed to be good,Noc war,Tiem La?

google,Wabash Cannonball Midi

Ladies and Gentlemen,Boys and Girls,,, crank that puter bolume wideeeee
open.Enjoy.
cuhulin

[email protected] April 24th 06 06:24 PM

What About the "Slim Jim" Antenna ?

I own a few slim jim auto car door lock picks thingy.(they look sort of
like extra long strange lookin hacksaw blades) I am not a car thief dude
though.
cuhulin