RadioBanter

-   -   Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/93441-classic-shortwave-antenna-classic-%7Btube%7D-shortwave-radio-receiver.html)

RHF April 25th 06 09:53 AM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

For One and All,

FYI - Here seems to be a Classic Shortwave Antenna for
some one with a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver :

Unused - E. H. Scott Outside Radio Antenna System

eBay Item # 6623736832

Looks to be a Dual Dipole with a Twisted-Pair feed-in-line.
http://www.indianaradios.com/ebay/Scott%20Antenna.jpg

Anyone Collecting 'classic' Shortwave Antennas ?
Note - To bad this Antenna did not have the original box,
Instructions and any other paper work.

NOTICE :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.

PLEASE NOTE :
That this Message is being Posted for Informational Purposes Only.

know your seller and something about what they are selling.
as always - buyer beware - life is a gamble and so is ebay ~ RHF

Telamon April 25th 06 09:48 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

For One and All,

FYI - Here seems to be a Classic Shortwave Antenna for some one with
a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver :

Unused - E. H. Scott Outside Radio Antenna System

eBay Item # 6623736832

Looks to be a Dual Dipole with a Twisted-Pair feed-in-line.
http://www.indianaradios.com/ebay/Scott%20Antenna.jpg

Anyone Collecting 'classic' Shortwave Antennas ? Note - To bad this
Antenna did not have the original box, Instructions and any other
paper work.

NOTICE : This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay
Seller.

PLEASE NOTE : That this Message is being Posted for Informational
Purposes Only.

know your seller and something about what they are selling. as always
- buyer beware - life is a gamble and so is ebay ~ RHF

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Bob Miller April 25th 06 10:21 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

On 25 Apr 2006 01:53:53 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Could be two dipoles cut for different frequencies, sharing a common
feedline. See below:

"Scott's mind was always full of improved designs. In 1940, he
developed an elaborate 26 tube communications receiver which was
produced in very limited quantities. Known as the Scott Special, this
set was perhaps the last and greatest of his ingenious designs. The
circuitry bore some similarity to the Philharmonic. There were seven
short wave bands (1.7 to 64MHz) and two other ranges from 140 to 395
KHz and 520 to 1710 KHz. This set utilized two separate tuners on the
same chassis, one for the short wave bands and the other for the
broadcast and low frequency bands. The performance of the Scott
Special High Fidelity Communications Receiver was not equaled until
years after World War II."

Bob
k5qwg

For One and All,

FYI - Here seems to be a Classic Shortwave Antenna for
some one with a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver :

Unused - E. H. Scott Outside Radio Antenna System

eBay Item # 6623736832

Looks to be a Dual Dipole with a Twisted-Pair feed-in-line.
http://www.indianaradios.com/ebay/Scott%20Antenna.jpg

Anyone Collecting 'classic' Shortwave Antennas ?
Note - To bad this Antenna did not have the original box,
Instructions and any other paper work.

NOTICE :
This is NOT my Auction and I am NOT Associated with the eBay Seller.

PLEASE NOTE :
That this Message is being Posted for Informational Purposes Only.

know your seller and something about what they are selling.
as always - buyer beware - life is a gamble and so is ebay ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

RHF April 26th 06 02:31 AM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

Telamon - So you think that this is a Phantom "X" Antenna;
and not a Dual Dipole Antenna with a two sets of Elements
one Long and the other Short. ~ RHF

RHF April 26th 06 05:30 AM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

BM [K5QWG],

E. H. Scott - "Antique Radio's Touch of Perfection"
-from an article by- J. W. F. Puett
http://hhscott.com/e_h__scott.htm
Earnest Humphrey {E.H.} Scott from 1887 to 1951

"Nothing New Under the AM Sun"
-by- Michael N. Stosich
http://hhscott.com/e_h_scott_2.htm

and now you know ~ RHF

Frank Dresser April 26th 06 04:20 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

It looks to me like a garden-variety bow-tie dipole. It would perform like
a simple dipole, just a little more broadbanded.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Frank Dresser

Telamon April 26th 06 06:13 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
was to take a guess that both sets of elements are the same length and
that they are supposed to be spread out in a "X" shape then this is an
antenna designed to couple very strongly the space around it. The
result of this type is a comparatively high voltage output. This is
useful for a radio with poor sensitivity. This type will generate a
stronger voltage for a signal for which it is cut than a dipole.

It looks to me like a garden-variety bow-tie dipole. It would perform like
a simple dipole, just a little more broadbanded.

If the assumption is correct about the elements being the same length
then yes. This is my assumption based on the picture.

I mostly agree with your assessment that you would have a comparatively
broadband dipole performance but in my experience this antenna generates
more signal voltage then that assumption of performance would indicate.

The greater broadband performance over a dipole come from the elements
appearing larger in diameter electrically, which more effectively
couples it to the space around it.

This antenna type is appropriate for tube type receivers as rain, snow,
sand or just blowing wind conditions will have a stronger tendency to
generate a larger static charge compared to other antenna types. This
could be a problem for solid state radios. You would want static
protection for a solid state radio with this antenna.

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Yes, but the solid state units are more easily damaged by the high
voltage than the tube units.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Carter-K8VT April 26th 06 08:38 PM

Frank Dresser wrote:

Tube radios need static protection, too. The input coils open up, even if
the tubes remain unharmed.

Absolutely true. Had to fix a Drake 2B for a friend where the input coil
took a hit and went open. Fortunately, Drake had one (used) 2B input
coil I was lucky enough to get.

Bob Miller April 26th 06 10:32 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:13:25 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

From the description I am unable to determine the antenna type. If I
[...]

If that's the case, all those hams running multi-element beams or
half-mile long beverages must be living dangerously :-)

bob
k5qwg

RHF April 26th 06 11:16 PM

Classic Shortwave Antenna for a Classic {Tube} Shortwave Radio / Receiver

FD,

Maybe back then a good Radio Designer 'designed-in'
a Weak-Link Input Coil(s) as an Input Fuse to protect
the rest of the Radio's Components and Circuitry.

what they knew then - do we know it now ? ~ RHF